Green Ammonia: Introduction
- Green ammonia is ammonia that is produced with hydrogen obtained through the electrolysis of water, powered by renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydropower. Green ammonia can be used in several industries such as agriculture, energy storage, and marine.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Green Ammonia Market
- Carbon emission has been increasing significantly across the globe. For instance, GHG emission in Asia Pacific increased from 15,238 MtCO2 in 2016 to 15,856 MtCO2 in 2019. Ammonia is a key contributor of GHG emission, as the production of one ton of ammonia releases on an average 2.867 tons of CO2. Government of various countries have introduced several targets and initiatives to reduce carbon emissions across the world. For instance, the European Union has set a target to reduce carbon emissions by 55% by 2030. Rise in efforts to reduce carbon emissions is estimated to drive the green ammonia market during the forecast period.
- Increase in investments in development of green ammonia plants is anticipated to propel the green ammonia market. For instance, in August 2021, Acme Solar Holdings Ltd announced plans to build a green ammonia facility worth US$ 3.5 Bn in Duqm to supply green ammonia to Europe, and Asia.
- Rise in demand for green ammonia as maritime fuel is boosting the demand for green ammonia during the forecast period. The shipping industry accounted for approximately 2.5% of the global greenhouse emissions in 2019, due to high consumption of sulfur and diesel fuel for ships. The maritime industry is making a several efforts to reduce GHG emissions by utilizing cleaner fuels. For instance, on January 1, 2020, the International Maritime Organization introduced IMO 2020 to improve air quality and protect human health. According to IMO 2020, the sulfur content in fuel oil used on board ships operating outside emission control areas should not be more than 0.50% m/m. This is projected to offer lucrative opportunities to the green ammonia market during the forecast period.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic has adversely impacted all industries including green ammonia. Governments of various countries have imposed nationwide lockdowns to limit the spread of the disease. This has led to a restriction on the movement of goods and the people. As a result, several companies had to cancel or defer the construction of green ammonia manufacturing facilities due to the shortage in availability of workforce and raw materials. Delay in the construction of manufacturing facilities has adversely impacted the green ammonia market.
Industrial Feedstock End-user Segment Expected to Hold Prominent Share of Global Market
- The global green ammonia market can be segmented based on end-user, technology, and region
- Based on end-user, the global green ammonia market can be segregated into transportation, power generation, and industrial feedstock. The industrial feedstock segment is projected to hold key share of the global green ammonia market during the forecast period. Rise in demand for carbon neutral fertilizers is expected to propel the demand for green ammonia during the forecast period.
- In terms of technology, the global green ammonia market can be divided into proton exchange membrane, alkaline water electrolysis, and solid oxide electrolysis
Europe Expected to Constitute Major Share of Global Green Ammonia Market
- In terms of region, the global green ammonia market can be divided into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- The green ammonia market in Europe is expected to expand at a rapid pace due to the expansion of green hydrogen projects across the region. For instance, in May 2021, Germany announced plans to invest more than US$ 9 Bn in green hydrogen projects.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key companies operating in the global green ammonia market include:
- Haidor Topsoe
- thyssenkrupp Industrial Solutions
- ITM Power
- Nel Hydrogen Solutions
Global Green Ammonia Market: Research Scope
Global Green Ammonia Market, by Technology
- Proton Exchange Membrane
- Alkaline Water Electrolysis
- Solid Oxide Electrolysis
Global Green Ammonia Market, by End-user
- Power Generation
- Industrial Feedstock
Global Green Ammonia Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.