Dermatome Devices Market
Dermatome Devices Market (Product Type: Drum Dermatome, Air Dermatome, Knife Dermatome, and Powered Dermatome; and End User: Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgery Centers, and Specialty Clinics) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Rise in Number of Burn-related Injuries to Fuel Market
In the last decade, significant developments have taken place within the dermatome devices market in terms of technology. Apart from the influence of technology, the new generation of dermatome devices developed offer improved results with a high degree of precision and accuracy. The demand for cutting-edge dermatome devices is expected to witness a significant growth in the near future, owing to a range of factors. As per the estimates of the World Health Organization, on an average, around 265,000 fire-related deaths occur worldwide. In the U.S. alone, approximately 486,000 individuals receive treatment for a range of burn injuries. In India, a staggering 1 million people receive moderate or severe burn injuries every year.
Burn or fire-related injuries, thus, require adequate treatment such as skin grafting. The significant rise in the number of such injuries across the world is a leading factor that is expected to drive the growth of the dermatome devices market during the forecast period. One of the key applications of dermatome devices is the reconstruction of the damaged areas due to grade 3 burns. Apart from these applications, the growing prevalence of diabetic foot ulcers and a notable rise in the number of skin cancer incidences are other factors that are likely to drive the dermatome devices market during the forecast period. The dermatome devices market is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 208 Mn by 2027.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Dermatome Devices Market
Preference for Air and Powered Dermatome Devices to Remain High
Due to the high number of reported burn-related cases worldwide, different types of dermatome devices have entered the fray such as drum dermatome, air dermatome, powered dermatome, and knife dermatome. Despite being one of the most fundamental techniques used during the reconstructive surgery, harvesting a uniform graft with the desired thickness continues to remain a major challenge. From the initial freehand technique to highly accurate state-of-the-art automated techniques, dermatome devices for the harvest of skin grafts have evolved at a rapid pace. The choice of the instrument primarily depends on the surgeons' past experience; while knives remain highly popular across Europe, surgeons across North America favor using dermatome devices.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
The uptake of powered dermatome and air dermatome is expected to increase at a rapid pace during the stipulated timeframe of the study. Collectively, powered and air dermatomes are projected to account for over 90% share of the dermatome devices market in 2020. The first generation of dermatome devices, developed in 1930 were operated manually. Over time, owing to technological advancements and improvements in manufacturing capabilities, air and powered dermatome devices have garnered significant popularity, as they offer superior precision and can cut large amounts of skin at a rapid pace. Emergency departments across the world widely use battery-operated dermatomes, as availability of powered dermatome devices in emergency cases is an uncertainty. The powered dermatome type segment is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 56 Mn in 2020 and witness a healthy CAGR growth of ~5% during the forecast period.
Shortcomings of skin grafting knives while obtaining grafts of the desired thickness and quality are stated to be one of the primary reasons to affect the adoption of knife dermatome devices.
Companies to Focus on Development of Superior Dermatome Devices
The demand for patient care medical devices has witnessed unprecedented growth in the past few years, owing to significant developments in technology. Players operating in the current dermatome devices market are expected to largely focus on expanding their product portfolio, and develop advanced air and powered dermatome devices. Manufacturers are expected to develop new products leveraging the findings of various disciplines related to healthcare, including nanotechnology, cognitive sciences, biological sciences, and material science.
Product development activities are expected to be focused on improving precision and simultaneously reduce the time taken to cut longer strips with homogenous thickness. In addition, brands are also expected to focus on improving the ergonomics of their products. Manufacturers of battery-operated dermatome devices are focusing on improving the durability of their products by enhancing battery life.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The global dermatome devices market is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~4.5% during the forecast period. The exceptional capabilities of powered dermatome devices will continue to influence the demand for these products during the forecast period. Uptake of knife dermatome and drum dermatome will remain significantly lower than that of air and powered dermatome, owing to the precision they offer. Prominent companies operating in the dermatome devices market are likely to adopt inorganic growth strategies, including mergers & acquisitions to improve their footprint in the global market landscape. While product development activities will remain critical, companies should also focus on exploring the potential of newer technologies to stay relevant in the dermatome devices market.
Dermatome Devices Market: Overview
- The dermatome devices market was valued at ~US$ 138 Mn in 2018 and is projected to expand at a high CAGR from 2019 to 2027. Rise in the number of patients with chronic burn injuries, chronic ulcers, trauma, and cancer across the world is anticipated to fuel the growth of the dermatome devices market.
- Dermatome is a surgical medical device primarily used to produce thin and uniform slices of skin from a donor for use in different plastic and reconstructive surgical procedures. Dermatomes are available in different operating modes, such as knife dermatomes are operated manually, while powered dermatomes are either electric or battery operated. The other types of dermatomes are air dermatomes and drum dermatomes.
- Primary application of dermatome devices is to produce slices of skin from donor site. The skin slices are used for skin grafting procedures in various plastic and reconstructive surgeries such as skin cancer reconstructive surgery, trauma reconstructive surgery, chronic burn reconstructive surgeries, chronic, large & open wound treatment, and cosmetic surgical procedures.
Dermatome Devices Market: Key drivers
- The dermatome devices market is expected to be driven by high prevalence of chronic wounds and grade 3 burn injuries. According to a research by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the global prevalence of diabetic foot ulcer was 6.3%, higher in males (4.5%) as compared to females (3.5%). Chronic leg ulcers affect 0.6% to 3% people aged over 60, increasing to over 5% of those aged over 80. According to the Wound Healing Society, about 15% of older adults in the U.S. suffer from chronic wounds, including predominantly venous stasis ulcers, pressure ulcers (bedsores), and diabetic (neuropathic) foot ulcers.
- Significant rise in the number of plastic, reconstructive, and cosmetic surgeries across the globe is a major factor that is expected to fuel the growth of the dermatome devices market during the forecast period. According to the International Society of Aesthetic and Plastic Surgeons (ISAPS), around 23 million cosmetic surgeries (including invasive and non-invasive) were performed in 2013 (the number is subjected to 95 ISAPS member countries).
Dermatome Devices Market: Segmentation
- The global dermatome devices market has been segmented based on type, end user, and region
- In terms of type, the dermatome devices market has been categorized into drum dermatome, air dermatome, knife dermatome, and powered dermatome. The powered dermatome segment has been bifurcated into electric dermatome and battery operated dermatome. The powered dermatome segment is likely to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
- Based on end user, the dermatome devices market has been classified into hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and specialty clinics. The hospitals segment dominated the global dermatome devices market in 2018 and the trend is anticipated to continue from 2019 to 2027.
Dermatome Devices Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global dermatome devices market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global market and is expected to gain market share by the end of 2027. The region’s dominance can be attributed to high prevalence and increase in incidence of chronic wounds, trauma cases, chronic ulcers, and bedsores in the U.S. and Canada, and well-established healthcare facilities. High per capita healthcare expenditure and early adoption of technologically advanced products can be attributed to the region’s high share of the global dermatome devices market in 2018.
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing market for dermatome devices during the forecast period. Japan dominated the dermatome devices market in the region in 2018. The market in China is anticipated to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period.
- The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is likely to expand at a high CAGR, owing to the increase in demand for skin grafting procedures for plastic & cosmetic surgeries, growing medical tourism in Brazil and Mexico, and high prevalence of chronic burn injuries in the region.
Dermatome Devices Market: Major Players
- Companies, such as Integra Life Sciences Holdings Corporation, Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc., and B. Braun Melsungen AG accounted for major share of the global dermatome devices market in 2018. Other global players in the market include
- Humeca BV
- De Soutter Medical
- Aygun Co., Inc.
- Nouvag AG
- Richard Wolf GmbH
- Surtex Instruments Limited.
- These players are focused on adopting organic and inorganic growth strategies to strengthen product portfolio. These companies have adopted strategies such as expansion of geographical footprint, investment in research & development, product differentiation.
Dermatome Devices Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global dermatome devices market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the revenue of the dermatome devices market for the period 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the dermatome devices market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the dermatome devices market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have also employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomena in the dermatome devices market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Additionally, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the dermatome devices market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the dermatome devices market. The next section of the dermatome devices market report highlights the USPs, which include a number of cosmetic surgeries performed by key countries, and prevalence of chronic wound and burn injuries.
The report also delves into the competitive landscape of the dermatome devices market. Key players operating in the dermatome devices treatment market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players profiled in the dermatome devices treatment market report.
Key Questions Answered in Dermatome Devices Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by different dermatome devices across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- In which region is the dermatome devices set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which segment will have the highest revenue globally in 2027 and which product segment will expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
Dermatome Devices Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the dermatome devices market begins with an overview of the market, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives of the study and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the dermatome devices market. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the dermatome devices market, which includes TMR analysis of market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the growth of the market. Furthermore, Y-o-Y analysis with elaborate insights has been provided to understand the Y-o-Y trends of the dermatome devices market. The next section of the dermatome devices market report highlights the USPs, including number of cosmetic surgeries performed by key countries, and prevalence of chronic wound and burn injuries in the dermatome devices market.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Revenue generated by key dermatome device manufacturers has been mapped to ascertain the size of the dermatome devices market in terms of value. The forecast presented here assesses the total revenue generated by dermatome devices. In order to provide an accurate forecast, we initiated by sizing up the current dermatome devices market with the help of the parent market.
The report analyzes the global dermatome devices market in terms of type, end user, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2027 has been provided. These valuable insights would help market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investments in the dermatome devices market.
Dermatome Devices Market – Segmentation
Ambulatory Surgery Centers
Middle East & Africa