Calcium Carbonate Market
Calcium Carbonate Market (Product: Ground Calcium Carbonate (Uncoated Ground Calcium Carbonate, Coated Ground Calcium Carbonate), Precipitated Calcium Carbonate; End-use Industry: Paper, Plastic, Paint, Rubber, Adhesives & Sealants, Building & Construction, Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2019 - 2027
- Chemicals & Materials
- 256 Pages
Calcium Carbonate Market: Paper Industry Continues to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
Calcium carbonate has been historically used as a crucial component in the manufacturing process of paper, plastic, paint, rubber, and adhesive, among others. Its versatility, from enhancing the strength and durability of adhesives to improving the gloss of paints, makes it a popular product across industries. In the paper industry, calcium carbonate is used as a filler, and has been gaining prominence over other alternatives in recent years. This can be attributed to the high brightness that it lends to the paper during the manufacturing process. It also is being seen as a substitute to expensive pigments, helping reduce production costs as well. In 2018, the paper industry occupied ~30% of the total share of the calcium carbonate market by volume, and is expected to increase at a ~5% CAGR over the forecast period.
Also contributing significantly to the growth of the calcium carbonate market is the plastic industry, where calcium carbonate is being increasingly used as a popular additive. Calcium carbonate offers the benefit of faster heating and cooling cycles of PE films, which results in improved mechanical strength and barrier properties. Plastic accounted for approximately one-fourth of the total share by value, and is expected to hit the ~ US$ 7 Bn mark by the end of the forecast period.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports Ask for a Sample
APAC to be a Profitable Regional Market
By volume, the market in APAC stood at ~59,000 kilo tons in 2018 and is expected to reach ~94,000-kilo tons by the end of the forecast period. This can be attributed to increasing investments toward infrastructure, resulting in the consequent rise in the demand for calcium carbonate. Another contributing factor is the growth of several end-use industries of calcium carbonate, including adhesives and sealants, rubber, paint, plastic, and paper, in the region, which, in turn, is likely to have a positive influence on the calcium carbonate market in APAC.
Get an idea about the offerings of our report from Report Brochure
However, by value, the European region held a significant share of around one-fourth of the total global market in 2018 and is set to increase at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period. This growth is likely to be driven by rising demand from the expanding paper sector, which is being anticipated to do well, and as such, contribute to the growth of the calcium carbonate market
Calcium Carbonate Market: Competition Landscape
The global calcium carbonate market is considered to be moderately consolidated, with the top three manufacturers in the market - Imerys, Omya AG, and Mineral Technologies, Inc. - accounting for ~30% of the total revenue share in 2018. These companies are increasingly focusing on expansions and acquisitions to strengthen their position in the market. For instance, in February 2018, Imerys acquired the calcium carbonates business of Vimal Microns and Vee Microns to expand its business in the APAC region.
As a business strategy, manufacturers are also concentrating on product innovation to retain their edge in this highly competitive global calcium carbonate market. For instance, in November 2018, Omya AG announced the launch of Omya Smartfill 55 – OM in Europe, for use in biopolymers, and in particular, polylactic acid (PLA).
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Calcium Carbonate Market , ask for a customized report
The global calcium carbonate market is set to expand rather modestly in the foreseeable future. This can be attributed to the growing demand for calcium carbonate from several end-use industries, including the paper and plastic sectors.
According to analysts at Transparency Market Research, players in the market should invest in improving their distribution networks to enhance their reach and presence in the global market. Companies with fully-integrated supply chains are likely to do well in the global landscape, with higher profit margins.
With APAC and Europe offering lucrative opportunities to manufacturers in the calcium carbonate market, they should look at making inroads into these regions to retain their advantage in the global landscape.
Although there is a possibility of the market being restrained by factors such as health hazards of overdoses of calcium carbonate, the increasing popularity of calcium carbonate in dietary supplements also continues to fuel the growth of the market.
Paper a Highly Lucrative End-use Industry in the Global Calcium Carbonate Market
- The global calcium carbonate market is estimated to expand at a steady pace during the forecast period, from a value of ~US$ 17 Bn in 2018 to ~US$ 28 Bn by 2027. This growth can be attributed to the rise in the demand for calcium carbonate in various end-use industries.
- Calcium carbonate (CaCO3) is a white, non-toxic, and solid chemical compound, found geologically in the Earth’s crust. It is available as chalk, limestone, marble, and in shells of marine creatures. Marine organisms such as mollusks and corals use dissolved calcium and carbon dioxide in water to form calcium carbonate, which is used in their skeletal structure.
- Commercially, calcium carbonate is available in two types - precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC) and ground calcium carbonate (GCC).
- Calcium carbonate is majorly used as a filler or a pigment in paper, plastic, and paints & coatings, and also as a dietary supplement in food and healthcare industries. The expansion of the manufacturing industry in developing economies has positively impacted the demand for calcium carbonate.
- More than 34% of calcium carbonate is consumed by the paper industry, where it is used as a filler, and improves the brightness of paper. Increasing investments in the paper industry in China are expected to boost the global calcium carbonate market.
Global Calcium Carbonate Market: Highlights
- Paper was a highly attractive end-use industry of the global calcium carbonate market in 2018. The segment is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~5%, in terms of revenue, during the forecast period.
- The consumption of calcium carbonate in the paint industry is anticipated to increase at a CAGR of ~6% during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific offers huge opportunities for growth with the increase in the demand for paper, paints, plastic, and building & construction materials in China.
- North America is a matured market for calcium carbonate, and is estimated to expand at a moderate rate during the forecast period. The contribution of Europe to the global demand for calcium carbonate is expected to decrease by 2027, due to stringent regulations imposed in the region on the usage of calcium carbonate.
- Key players in the global calcium carbonate market are focusing on expanding the capacity of their calcium carbonate plants. However, companies are expanding into developing markets such as China, India, Indonesia, Australia, and Saudi Arabia. These countries are expected to provide lucrative opportunities to market players due to the growth of various end-use industries.
Global Calcium Carbonate Market: Overview
- Calcium carbonate, owing to its non-toxicity, has been approved for usage in numerous end-use industries involving its oral consumption, such as pharmaceuticals and personal care.
- Numerous regulatory approvals are required to mine calcium carbonate from its reserves. Therefore, companies engaged in the mining of calcium carbonate are less, despite the easy availability.
- The usage of calcium carbonate is permitted in Europe under defined regulatory conditions. It is commonly known as the CLP Regulation, as it involves the classification, labelling, and packaging of substances and mixtures.
- China has various regulatory standards for the usage of calcium carbonate; these standards specify the classification, requirements, test methods, inspection rules and signs, packaging, transportation, and storage of paper-grinding calcium carbonate.
Global Calcium Carbonate Market: Key Products
- Based on product, the global calcium carbonate market has been segmented in ground calcium carbonate and precipitated calcium carbonate.
- The ground calcium carbonate segment of the calcium carbonate market is estimated to expand rapidly during the forecast period.
- The ground calcium carbonate segment has been further divided into uncoated ground calcium carbonate and coated ground calcium carbonate. The uncoated ground calcium carbonate sub-segment is leading the ground calcium carbonate segment, mainly due to its easy availability and low price. Coated ground calcium carbonate is used in applications wherein superior quality of the end-product is desired.
- China is witnessing high demand for ground calcium carbonate, owing to a rise in the application of ground calcium carbonate in paper and plastic products in the country.
Global Calcium Carbonate Market: Key End-use Industries
- Based on end-use industry, the global calcium carbonate market has been divided into paper, plastic, paint, rubber, adhesives & sealants, building & construction, and others.
- The paper end-use industry segment held ~ 35% share of the global calcium carbonate market in 2018. The segment is expected to remain dominant during the forecast period, with the paper industry preferring calcium carbonate over Kaolin, as a filler material. The usage of calcium carbonate to obtain bright white paper is the key factor driving its use in the paper industry.
- The plastic segment of calcium carbonate is anticipated to increase at a CAGR of ~6% during the forecast period. Regardless of stringent regulations imposed on the plastic industry, this industry is growing, as it is adapting to changes with the launch of innovative plastic products such as decomposable plastic, bioplastic, recycled plastic, etc. Calcium carbonate is an essential raw material in plastic products.
Asia Pacific to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- In terms of value and volume, Asia Pacific accounted for a major share of the global calcium carbonate market in 2018. This trend is likely to continue during the forecast period.
- Most ASEAN countries, along with India, Japan, and South Korea, have been major consumers of calcium carbonate, which is used in paper, pharmaceuticals, and plastic industries. Hence, the demand is for calcium carbonate is expected to increase at a significant rate.
- China is anticipated to hold a major market share of the calcium carbonate market in Asia Pacific, owing to rising use of calcium carbonate in paper manufacturing sector. The China Paper-Making Industry Association reported a trend of increasing usage of calcium carbonate due to its easy availability and lower price.
- Rise in construction activities, especially in China and India, is augmenting the demand for paints and coatings. This, in turn, is projected to propel the use of precipitated calcium carbonate in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
Global Calcium Carbonate Market: Competition Landscape
- Major players operating in the global calcium carbonate market are
- Minerals Technologies Inc
- Omya AG
- Huber Engineered Materials
- Mississippi Lime Company
- Shiraishi Kogyo Kaisha Ltd
- OKUTAMA KOGYO CO., LTD.
- Newpark Resources Inc
- Zhenjiang Jiande Longhua Plastic Chemical Co., Ltd
- Yuncheng Chemical Industrial CO., Ltd
- Nordkalk Corporation
- Global Calcium Carbonate Industries
- Calcit d.o.o
- Schaefer Kalk GmbH & Co KG
- Maruo Calcium Co. Ltd.
- The global calcium carbonate market was fragmented in 2018. This trend is likely to continue over the forecast period too.
Calcium Carbonate Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research’s recent report on the calcium carbonate market, with the help of a comprehensive outlook, provides readers with an assessment of the global market landscape. This study on the global calcium carbonate market analyzes the scenario for the period of 2019 to 2027, wherein, 2018 is the base year. This report enables readers to make important decisions with regard to their business, with the help of a wealth of information enclosed in the study.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain analysis, supply chain analysis, and compounded annual growth rate (CAGR), are elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret the quantitative growth aspects of the global calcium carbonate market.
This TMR study on the global calcium carbonate market also provides data on the developments made by important players and stakeholders operating in the market, along with a competitive analysis. The report also provides an understanding of the strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities, along with the trends and restraints in the landscape.
This study also discusses the underlying trends and the impact of various factors that are driving the global calcium carbonate market, along with their influence on the evolution of the market.
This study also offers Porter’s Five Forces Analysis, value chain analysis, pricing analysis, import-export analysis, production analysis, and regulatory scenario of the global calcium carbonate market, in order to elaborate crucial growth tactics and opportunities for market players contributing to the global market.
Key Questions Answered in the Global Calcium Carbonate Market Report
- How much revenue is the global calcium carbonate market expected to generate by the end of the forecast period?
- Which regions currently account for the maximum share of the global calcium carbonate market?
- What are the indicators expected to drive the growth of the global calcium carbonate market?
- Which region is likely to be a lucrative market during the forecast period?
- What are the essential strategies adopted by key stakeholders in the global calcium carbonate market to expand their geographical presence?
- What are the major advancements in the global calcium carbonate market?
This report answers these questions about the global calcium carbonate market, aiding major stakeholders and key players in making the right decisions and strategizing for the advancement of their business.
Global Calcium Carbonate Market: Research Methodology
This TMR report on the global calcium carbonate market is based on a complete and comprehensive evaluation of the market, supported by secondary and primary sources. The competitive scenario of the global calcium carbonate market is supported by an assessment of different factors that influence the market on a minute and granular level. By thoroughly analyzing the historical data and current trends, researchers of the global calcium carbonate market have arrived at predictions and estimations, and have calculated the forecasts for the market.
This report uses the analytical triangulation method to estimate the numbers of the global calcium carbonate market, using both, the bottom-up and top-down approach.
This detailed assessment of the global calcium carbonate market, along with an overview of the landscape, is provided based on careful examination of the avenues related to this industry. Analysts’ conclusions on how the global calcium carbonate market is set to grow are based on carefully-vetted primary and secondary sources.
Calcium Carbonate Market – Segmentation
This report on the global calcium carbonate market provides information on the basis of product, end-use industry, and region.