Anthelmintic Drugs Market
Anthelmintic Drugs Market (Drug Class: Benzimidazoles, Piperazine, and Others; Route of Administration: Oral and Injectable; Application: Human [Parenchymal Neurocysticercosis and Gastrointestinal Infections] and Animal; Target Pathogen: Ascaris Lumbricoides [Roundworm], Trichuris Trichiura [Whipworm], Enterobius Vermicularis [Pinworm], Ancylostoma Duodenale [Hookworm], and Others; and Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies, Veterinary Pharmacies, and Veterinary Hospitals & Clinics) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020 - 2030
- 247 Pages
AI-driven Drug Discovery Aids Approval of Niclosamide for COVID-19 Treatment
The ongoing COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak has fueled an unprecedented demand for drugs that are capable of fighting off the novel infection. Hence, AI (Artificial Intelligence) firm Gero is gaining global recognition for specializing in the AI-driven drug discovery and validating promising potentials of anthelmintic drugs for the treatment of COVID-19. As such, niclosamide is found to be potentially effective for the treatment of coronavirus in patients and has been approved in the U.S., Italy, France, and few other countries where there is a high prevalence of active COVID-19 patients.
Due to the approval of niclosamide, companies in the anthelmintic drugs market are increasing their efficacy in AI-driven drug discovery methods to capitalize on revenue generation opportunities. Companies in the anthelmintic drugs market are taking efforts to conduct clinical trials in existing drugs that may be useful in coronavirus treatment.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Anthelmintic Drugs Market
Sponsored Collaborations Fuel Research in New Drug Candidates for Soil-transmitted Infections
An alarmingly right prevalence of parasitic worm infections in humans has forced companies in the anthelmintic drugs market to increase their R&D capabilities for new drug candidates. For instance, in December 2019, Bayer Animal Health — a global provider of innovative solutions for animal health, revealed that the company is increasing its research efforts to provide promising anthelmintic drug candidates for the EU-sponsored collaboration called Project HELP (Helminth Elimination Platform) meant for human treatment.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Companies in the anthelmintic drugs market are entering into strategic collaborations in order to find new treatments for ascaris lumbricoides (Roundworm) infection. This explains why the revenue for roundworm target pathogen is estimated to dictate the highest value in the anthelmintic drugs market, resulting in anticipated revenue generation of ~US$ 4 Bn by the end of 2030. The growing awareness about soil-transmitted infections and filarial infections in humans is bolstering innovations in anthelmintic drugs.
Biologically Active Substances of Medicinal Plants Hold Promising Potentials for Drug Discovery
Plant-based products are being highly publicized for the development of anthelmintic drugs that are capable of treating nematodes. Currently, intestinal parasitic nematodes are a serious issue in human as well as animals. As such, animals dominate a higher revenue share as compared to humans in the anthelmintic drugs market, where the market is slated to progress at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period. However, anthelmintic drug resistance in humans and animals is a challenge for pharmaceutical companies. Hence, companies are using medicinal plant ingredients for the discovery of new anthelmintic drugs.
Companies in the anthelmintic drugs market are increasing their research efforts to study the biologically active substances of medicinal plants that possess drug-like properties and hold promising potentials for the treatment of intestinal parasitic nematodes in human as well as animals. As such, medicinal plant-derived drugs, such as artemether, tiopropium and galantamine are generating revenue streams for pharmaceutical companies.
Combination Therapy Awaits Confirmed Clinical Trials to Deploy Widespread Adoption in Veterinary Clinics
Various preventive measures are being adopted to control parasites in donkeys. Since vaccines are not readily available and there is a need for the development of better vaccines, veterinary doctors are relying on anthelmintic drugs to protect the health of donkeys. As such, companies in the anthelmintic drugs market are tapping value-grab opportunities by increasing the availability of benzimidazoles macrocyclic lactones and tetrahydropyrimidines to improve the health of donkeys.
In order to effectively manage the issue of drug resistance in donkeys, companies in the anthelmintic drugs market are educating veterinarians to gain better knowledge of local parasite epidemiology and its correlation with anthelmintic drugs. The trend of combination therapy is surging, as veterinarians are using different combination of drugs to improve clinical numbers of donkeys. However, there is a need for confirmed clinical trials to support the validation of combination therapy. Since donkeys ingest third-stage larvae from grazing, there is a need for sound grazing management practices. The practice of FEC (Fecal Egg Count)-directed treatment is another alternative treatment, which is benefitting the health of donkeys.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
With the approval of niclosamide in the U.S. and Italy, AI is predicted to play a crucial role in drug discovery methodologies for COVID-19 treatment. As such, anti-cancer effects of anthelmintics are being recognized by healthcare systems in Korea.
Medicinal plants hold promising potentials for innovations in anthelmintics. However, anthelmintic resistance is a recurring problem that needs to be addressed by pharmaceutical companies. Hence, companies should sponsor research-based communities that conduct aggressive research on the prevention of anthelmintic resistance. They should direct their investments in preserving the drug efficacy and increase research in anthelmintic resistance management and awareness about hygienic grazing methods to improve the health of animals.
Anthelmintic Drugs Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the global anthelmintic drugs market for the historical period 2018–2019 and forecast period 2020–2030, increase in incidence of helminth infection across the globe, innovative drug launch for gastrointestinal nematodes, government initiatives, and rise in pet ownership and spending on companion animals are expected to drive the global market during the forecast period
- According to the report, the anthelmintic drugs market was valued at ~US$ 2 Bn in 2019 and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~5% from 2020 to 2030
Increase in Incidence of Helminth Infection Worldwide: Key Drivers
- Rise in prevalence of helminth infections caused by roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, and others worms is anticipated to drive the need of anthelmintic drugs for the treatment of the same
- Soil transmitted helminth infections are caused by various species of parasitic worms. According to the WHO, as of March 2020, nearly 1.5 billion humans were suffering from soil transmitted helminth infection across the globe. This number accounts for 24% of the global human population. Major species increasing the disease burden are ascaris lumbricoides (roundworms), trichuris trichiura (whipworms), necator americanus, and ancylostoma duodenale (hookworms).
- According to the WHO data, in March 2020, distribution of soil-transmitted helminth infection was higher in sub-Saharan Africa, the Americas, China, and countries in Asia. Globally, 267 million preschool children and 568 million schoolchildren in the above areas are suffering from helminth infections.
- Moreover, S. stercoralis are estimated to be affecting around 600 million people globally. Poor hygiene and sanitation are the other factors boosting incidence of soil-transmitted helminth infections across the globe.
Government Initiatives to Boost Market Growth
- Initiatives and paradigm shift in focus of governments toward contributing in managing the helminth infections across the globe are anticipated to boost the market for anthelmintic drugs
- For instance, the National Deworming Day is a major initiative by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, to make the country worm-free. According to the WHO, 241 million children in the age group 1 to 14 years are at a higher risk of parasitic intestinal worms in India. Hence, the government is likely to develop guidelines for creating awareness and eradicate helminth infection.
- Anthelmintic drugs are the primary controlling measure for eradicating worms in livestock. Annual cost of parasitic diseases is estimated to be US$ 1 Bn in Australia and US$ 7.11 Bn in Brazil. Hence, standard policies for treatment of worm infection in humans and livestock are of prime importance in every country.
Anthelmintic Drug Resistance to Hamper Market
- Anthelmintic drugs are the most preferred and efficient treatment for fighting helminthiasis in animals and humans. However, multidrug-resistance is a major concern in livestock, especially in the two new classes such as aminoacetonitrile derivatives and paraherquamide derivatives.
- Rise in multidrug-resistance would pressurize producers and animal health professionals to develop alternative methods of treatment. Thus, rise in drug resistance to most commonly prescribed anthelmintic drugs by parasitic helminths is likely to restrain the market during the forecast period. Helminthiasis has been reported to develop resistance to drugs such as Levamisole, morantel, Benzimidazole, Albendazole, Avermectin, and Ivermectinin the past few years.
- Resistance to anthelmintic drugs is a major concern in sheep-producing countries in Europe. Multidrug & multispecies resistance is increasing at a rapid pace in South America. This is anticipated to restrain the global anthelmintic drugs market. According to a research, resistance against monepantel and derquantel has already been reported, which has increased the risk factor associated with anthelmintic resistance.
Anthelmintic Drugs Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global anthelmintic drugs market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The global anthelmintic drugs market is highly fragmented with the presence of a number of international as well as regional players
- Leading players operating in the global anthelmintic drugs market include
- Novartis AG
- Cipla Inc.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Amneal Pharmaceuticals LLC. (Impax Laboratories, Inc.)
- Zoetis, Inc.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Bayer AG
- Merck & Co., Inc. (Intervet Inc.)
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
Anthelmintic Drugs Market: Key Developments
- Key players in the global anthelmintic drugs market are engaged in regulatory approval, launch of new products, and acquisition & collaborative agreements with other companies. These strategies are likely to fuel the growth of the global anthelmintic drugs market. A few expansion strategies adopted by players operating in the global anthelmintic drugs market are:
- In February 2020, Zoetis received approval for Simparica Trio drug, a combination used as a prevention for heartworm disease, roundworms, ricks, hookworms, and fleas in dogs
- In April 2019, Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc. announced that WHO has prequalified the company's new product VERMOX (Mebendazole) CHEWABLE for intestinal worms. After the WHO prequalification, this product is likely to be available for the children in the age group of 1 year, especially in high burden countries.
- In May 2018, Amneal Pharmaceuticals LLC and Impax Laboratories, Inc. completed their merger to form a new company known as Amneal Pharmaceuticals, Inc. This merger is likely to boost the generic business making Amneal as a fifth-largest generic business in the U.S.
- In September 2018, Cipla announced receiving final approval of the Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) for Albendazole 200 mg tablet
- The report on the global anthelmintic drugs market discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers of anthelmintic drugs. The competition landscape section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view of key players operating in the global anthelmintic drugs market.
Anthelmintic Drugs Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global anthelmintic drugs market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the market during the forecast period 2020 to 2030 The report provides the overall revenue of the global anthelmintic drugs market for the period 2018–2030, considering 2019 as the base year and 2030 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global anthelmintic drugs market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global anthelmintic drugs market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts also employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomena in the global anthelmintic drugs market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global anthelmintic drugs market. Key players operating in the global anthelmintic drugs market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players profiled in the global anthelmintic drugs market report.
Key Questions Answered in Anthelmintic Drugs Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by the global anthelmintic drugs market across all the regions during the forecast period?
- What are the key trends in the global anthelmintic drugs market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which segment will have the highest revenue globally in 2030 and which drug class will expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
Anthelmintic Drugs Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global anthelmintic drugs market begins with an overview of the market, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives of the study and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the global anthelmintic drugs market. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the global anthelmintic drugs market, which includes TMR analysis of market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the growth of the market. Furthermore, Y-o-Y analysis with elaborate insights has been provided to understand the Y-o-Y trends of the anthelmintic drugs market. The next section of the global anthelmintic drugs market report highlights the USPs, which include epidemiology of helminthic infections across globe, key industry events (product launches, approvals, acquisitions, mergers, collaborations, etc.), and impact of COVID-19 on the anthelmintic drugs market.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into smaller sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Revenue generated by key anthelmintic drugs manufacturers has been mapped to ascertain the size of the global anthelmintic drugs market in terms of value. The forecast presented here assesses the total revenue generated in the anthelmintic drugs market. In order to provide an accurate forecast, we initiated by sizing up the current anthelmintic drugs market with the help of the parent market.
The report analyzes the global anthelmintic drugs market in terms of drug class, route of administration, application, target pathogen, distribution channel, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2030 has been provided. These valuable insights would help market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investments in the global anthelmintic drugs market.
Anthelmintic Drugs Market – Segmentation
Route of Administration
Ascaris Lumbricoides (Roundworm)
Trichuris Trichiura (Whipworm)
Enterobius Vermicularis (Pinworm)
Ancylostoma Duodenale (Hookworm)
Veterinary Hospitals & Clinics
Middle East & Africa