Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market
Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market (Treatment: Dialysis and Supportive Care; Type: Prerenal Acute Kidney Injury, Postrenal Acute Kidney Injury, and Intrinsic Renal Acute Kidney Injury; and End-user: Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019–2027
Press Release :
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Treatment Market: Number of Candidate Drugs Increasing
Increasing geriatric population, susceptible to acute kidney injury (AKI), has created pressure on researchers and scientists to develop appropriate treatment and therapeutics. Currently, there are around 40 candidate drugs, meant for acute kidney injury treatment, and most of them are in their final stage of approval. The increasing patient pool is another factor that makes the acute kidney injury treatment market a highly lucrative proposition. Considering the evolutions in this landscape, and the possibilities of substantial opportunities, Transparency Market Research, in its new study, offers a 360 degree analysis on the key factors likely to influence market growth.
Evolution of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Treatment
Acute kidney injury, formerly known as acute renal failure, emerged as a prominent disease after the Second World War. Since then, more emphasis has been laid on the types of therapeutics that need to be developed that can effectively treat this ailment. Alkaline phosphatase, gemigliptin, and QPI002 are few therapeutics that are under clinical trial for treating AKI. As research on acute kidney injury gains momentum, new opportunities are likely to emerge. Influenced by a host of multi-pronged factors, the market for acute kidney injury treatment is likely to surpass a valuation of US$ 2.5 billion by the end of 2027.
Identify the key factors that will drive your company’s growth. Request a brochure of this report here
The Therapeutic Landscape
Adoption of AKI Biomarkers
The adoption of advanced technologies plays a vital role in enhancing healthcare services. Currently, treatment provided for acute kidney injury is undergoing substantial changes, as researchers are using advanced new tools, predictive models, and biomarkers to improve dialysis procedures and stymie development of acute kidney injuries at an early stage. Emphasis is given on risk stratification along with AKI biomarkers that will enhance overall treatment.
Ultrasound Technique - A Traditional Break Through
Introduction of new ultrasound techniques is expected to provide better treatment for acute kidney injuries and chronic kidney diseases. As ultrasound technique is non-invasive, cost-effective, and offers simple imaging modality, it has opened new avenues for monitoring, diagnosis, and treating acute kidney injury. Ultrasound is capable of reducing the effect of AKI by encouraging the splenic cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway. Further developments are also being made to enhance sensitivity and specificity of ultrasound that will result in providing precise results of diagnosing kidney disease.
Want to know more such detailed insights of Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market? Request a PDF sample here
Market Players Collaborating with Research Institutes to Develop Effective Drugs
Researchers are engaged in studying different therapeutics that can be considered to treat AKI. Recently, researchers from the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine (UAB) and University of California San Diego School of Medicine received grants to enrich the skills especially for kidney diseases. The focus of the center is to evaluate kidney injury and function to improve diagnosis through several biomarkers. They also aim to identify targets for intervention and benefit in decision-making for physicians that will help in better management of patients with kidney diseases. Stakeholders in the acute kidney injury treatment market are keeping an eye on the results of these findings, as research and development remains a key success differentiator in this market. The go-to market strategies in this landscape are heavily influenced by the successful outcomes of research and development, and a substantial pie of the overall revenue share of stakeholders is spent on new product development. Therefore, industry-institution collaboration is likely to remain a norm rather than the exception in this market.
Vendors are making significant investments in research and development activities to develop drugs and treatment options for acute kidney injury. As mentioned earlier, as of now, there is no particular drug available in the market to treat AKI; therefore, research institutions and market participants are collaborating to develop drugs effective to treat acute kidney injury. At present, there are approx. 40 candidate drugs for AKI in different stages of development. Recently, Alloksys Life Sciences has developed therapeutic RESCAP®. This therapeutic drug is based on Alkaline Phosphatase (AP), a naturally available protein in the body. The aim of this therapeutic is to maintain Blood Brain Barrier (BBB), Kidney Glomerulus Barrier (KGB), Gut Barrier (GB), Lung Alveolar Barrier (LAB), and Placental Barrier (PB).
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Moreover, LG Chem is also engaged in extensive research and development activities related to acute kidney injury treatment. LG Chem’sZemiglo is currently undergoing a clinical trial, and after gaining approval, it can be used to treat patients suffering from acute kidney injury. The development of these drugs will be beneficial for players, service providers, and patients. Market players will be capable of establishing themselves in a much profound manner, as most of drugs are in the final stage of approval. Hospitals and patients (end consumer) will also benefit largely from these developments. As the demand for specific drugs will be high in hospitals, and it can benefit both, the manufacturer and the hospital.
Mergers and Acquisitions: A Key Strategy
North America, led by the US, continues to be one of the leading markets for acute kidney injury treatment in the US. Leading companies are headquartered in this region, which makes it a prime location for research and development in this landscape. The presence of key players engaged in the development of novel drugs has meant that opportunities for manufacturers are high in the US and Canada as compared to markets where fewer companies are involved in research and development. The availability of new acute kidney injury products, such as QPI-1002 and Zemiglo along with innovative techniques are acting as a key contributor for market’s growth. Moreover, a large number of dialysis centers are present in the region (nearly 6,500 dialysis facilities in the United States alone, as per data by the National Kidney Foundation).
Mergers and acquisitions are another key strategy used by market players operating in the global acute kidney injury market. Recently, Fresenius Medical Care acquired 70% share of Chinese kidney hospitals and dialysis clinics - Guangzhou KangNiDaiSi Medical Investment Co., Ltd., mainly to expand its dialysis care network and to tap huge patient with kidney injury in this region. This acquisition will also trigger the development of dialysis centers with enhanced services in China. According to the Chinese Society of Nephrology, there are about 500,000 patients in China currently undergoing dialysis. This makes China the biggest market globally after the United States in terms of numbers.
Prevalence of acute kidney injury has grown substantially in Asia Pacific region--according to various studies, in South-East Asia, the AKI incidence was up to 18%~24% due to rising prevalence of malaria, leptospirosis, gastrointestinal tract infection, and monsoon climate. Moreover, in China the AKI incidence, misdiagnosis, and mortality rates were 1%-2%, 74.2%, and 12.4% respectively among hospitalized patients (2015). Thus, growing incidence of AKI has made government to develop supportive policies to treat acute kidney injury.
Governments in various countries are introducing supportive policies to spread awareness and provide better facilities to treat AKI. Higher prevalence of chronic kidney diseases (CKD) and growing interest in nephrology led to the initiation of The Kidney Disease Screening and Awareness Program (KDSAP) developed by Harvard College. A few years back, the Indian government started the National Dialysis Programme, under the National Health mission, an initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. This initiative was carried out with the help of public-private partnerships at various hospitals. The aim was to provide life-saving procedure close by for patients, and to minimize the burden created by high medical costs.
Analysts’ Point of View
The authors of this report have a positive outlook on the growth of the acute kidney injury treatment market. Increasing number of dialysis centers equipped with state-of-the-art technology is expected to further offer growth opportunities in the acute kidney injury treatment market. Moreover, emphasis on research and development activities to develop drugs for acute kidney injury treatment by players as well as research institutes is set to ensure the growth of this market. With many candidate drugs and novel therapies gaining importance, first-mover companies will have the advantage of gaining a stronger hold in the acute kidney injury treatment market.
Governments across the globe are also making significant efforts to spread awareness about acute kidney injury treatment. Report authors project that the acute kidney injury treatment market will grow at healthy CAGR of more than 7% between 2019 and 2027 due to the fact that, the prevalence of kidney diseases is considerable around the world.
Global Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market: Overview
- The global acute kidney injury treatment market is growing, propelled by the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, etc., across the globe.
- The global acute kidney injury treatment market was valued US$ 1,351.70 Mn in 2018. The global acute kidney injury treatment market is expected to witness a cumulative annual growth rate (CAGR) of more than 7% from 2019 to 2027, to reach a value of more than US$ 2,500 Mn by 2027.
Global Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market: Drivers & Restraints
- The global acute kidney injury treatment market is undergoing relatively higher growth, owing to the increasing geriatric patient population, increase in incidences of acute kidney injury cases, and rise in research and development in both, developed and developing markets.
- The geriatric population has been increasing, especially in developed countries such as the U.S., most countries in Western Europe, and Japan. Developed countries have high geriatric population vis-à-vis their developing counterparts. This can be ascribed to the improved healthcare infrastructure, favorable reimbursement policies, and advancements in healthcare facilities in developed countries. Moreover, access to various diagnostic and treatment services has improved off late, especially in developed countries. This, in turn, has increased the life expectancy of the population. Studies indicate that, a majority (60%-70%) of the elderly population is more susceptible to acute kidney injury. This is a key factor driving the acute kidney injury treatment market.
- Around 13.3 million people across the globe are estimated to be affected by acute kidney injury. The patient population is expected to rise substantially over the next few decades. Rise in the incidence rate of acute kidney injury is creating a significant socioeconomic impact across the globe.
- According to the World Health Organization, the world’s population of people aged 60 years and above is expected to reach more than 2 billion, and that of people aged 80 years and above is likely to reach approximately 400 million by 2050.
- Also, factors such as increase in the number of dialysis centers and strong ongoing clinical pipeline are uplifting the growth of the global acute kidney injury treatment market. However, the disappointing result of promising pipeline molecules is expected to restraint the growth of the global acute kidney injury treatment market.
Global Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market: Segmentation
- The global acute kidney injury treatment market is broadly segmented into four categories based on treatment, type, end user, and region.
- In terms of treatment, the acute kidney injury treatment market is categorized into dialysis and supportive care.
- Supportive care is used to prevent or treat the symptoms of a disease, or side effects caused by the treatment of a disease. It is also called comfort care, palliative care, and symptom management. Supportive care in acute kidney injury treatment includes the correction of electrolyte, fluid management, acid base abnormalities, hematological abnormalities, and medical management.
- Based on type, the acute kidney injury treatment market has been classified into prerenal acute kidney injury, postrenal acute kidney injury, and intrinsic renal acute kidney injury. The prerenal acute kidney injury segment held a significant share of the acute kidney injury treatment market in 2018. It is expected to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period, led by the prevalence of prerenal acute kidney injuries.
- Based on end user, the acute kidney injury treatment market has been segregated into hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, and others.
Global Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market: Regional Scenario
- Geographically, the global acute kidney injury treatment market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa. North America is expected to be a key region in the global acute kidney injury treatment market, and account for a prominent share of the global acute kidney injury treatment market.
- North America
- The acute kidney injury treatment market in the North America is primarily driven by an increase in the patient population, high incidences and prevalence of chronic diseases, and rising research and development, along with a rise in the number of dialysis centers.
- The acute kidney injury treatment market in Europe is likely to grow at a significant CAGR from 2019 to 2027. Strong ongoing clinical pipeline, presence of key players in the acute kidney injury treatment market in countries such as the Germany, and increase in the number of critical care admissions are expected to boost the growth of the acute kidney injury treatment market in this region.
- Asia Pacific
- The acute kidney injury treatment market in Asia Pacific is expected to witness high growth during the forecast period. Rapid growth rate in this region is expected due to the presence of a large base of the geriatric population, governmental initiatives taken to improve the healthcare sector, growth in research and development activities, and increasing patient population with acute kidney injuries in the region.
Global Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market: Major Players
- Rising approvals from government bodies, strong sales and distribution networks, increasing number of technological advancements, rising number of acquisitions and mergers, and increasing research and development are the key trends in the global acute kidney injury treatment market.
Key players operating in global acute kidney injury treatment market and profiled in this report are Angion Biomedica Corp., AM-Pharma, Quark Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Baxter International, Inc., Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KGaA., B. Braun Melsungen AG, Asahi Kasei Medical Co., Ltd., and LG Chem.
Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market: Introduction
Transparency Market Research (TMR) has recently published a new report on the global acute kidney injury treatment market. The report gives complete information on the acute kidney injury treatment market, and elaborates on the significant factors that are influencing the growth of the acute kidney injury treatment market during the period of 2019 to 2027. Special focus has been given to drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats (DROTs) to research on the acute kidney injury treatment market with a holistic view. Moreover, emphasis has been put on the demand side as well as the supply side, as both are equally responsible for the growth of the acute kidney injury treatment market.
The changing dynamics in the healthcare sector across the globe, especially when treatment is provided for kidney injury, has encouraged researchers to amalgamate information in a systematic manner. This will help key players operating in the acute kidney injury treatment market to take well-analyzed and systematic decisions in the near future. The presentation of information has been done in a systematic form, which includes theory and statistics. Acute kidney injury treatment market growth has been presented, both, in terms of value and volume, as per requirement.
Readers will enrich their knowledge on the acute kidney injury treatment market based on the information presented in this report. Geographical insights and competitors’ information will also help the readers in taking better decisions, keeping in mind the growth of their businesses. Besides, segments indicating the growth of a specific product have also been mentioned in the acute kidney injury treatment market report.
Key Questions Answered in the Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market Report
Analysts of the report focused on answering some key questions about acute kidney injury treatment. This is to help readers gain clear knowledge about growth in the acute kidney injury treatment market, and what are the ongoing changes taking place that will diversify the market in the coming years.
- What are the most recent advanced technologies adopted by dialysis centers for acute kidney injury treatment?
- How are the recent trends affecting growth in the global acute kidney injury treatment market?
- What are the key strategies used by players and service providers that are expected to impact the growth of the acute kidney injury treatment market?
- What are the resources available in respective regions that attract leading players in the acute kidney injury treatment market?
- What was the historical value and what will be the forecast value of the acute kidney injury treatment market?
Research Methodology Adopted for the Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market Report
To provide 360-degree insights on the acute kidney injury treatment market, researchers have followed both, the top-down approach and bottom-up approach. As there is no specific drug available in the market, researchers conducted one-on-one interviews with leading industry players, CEOs, presidents, chairmen, directors, vice presidents, and business consultants. Additionally, modeling techniques were used to produce comprehensive data sets. During secondary research, information was collected from different sources, including white papers, journals, and magazines published by NCBI – National Center for Biotechnology Information, Forbes, besides others. Data from organizations and institutions was also gathered, such as the World Health Organization, EMA - European Medicines Agency, CDC- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, and a few others.
Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market: Prominent Players
Furthermore, prominent market players were also given prime importance while conducting a detailed study on the treatment provided for acute kidney injury. This includes:
- Quark Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Baxter International, Inc.
- Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KGaA
- LG Chem
- Asahi Kasei Medical Co., Ltd.
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Angion Biomedica Corp
Key Segments in the Global Acute Kidney Injury Treatment Market Report
Importance to various segments has been given in the global acute kidney injury treatment market report. Thus, a detailed breakdown of the type, end-user, and treatment takes up a significant share in this report. In this section, segmentation of the acute kidney injury treatment market based on type, treatment, end user, and region is provided.