Sepsis Treatment Market
Sepsis Treatment Market (Type: Severe Sepsis, Septic Shock, and Sepsis in Need of Blood Purification; Therapy: Continuous Renal Replacement Therapies [CRRT], Intermittent Hemodialysis, Sustained Low-efficiency Daily Dialysis [SLEDD], and Others; and End User: Hospitals, Specialty Centers, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
- 188 Pages
Can COVID-19 Pneumonia Lead to Severe Septic Shock in Patients?
The Global Sepsis Alliance has stated that the novel coronavirus may lead to sepsis by affecting the body’s immune system response toward the infection, resulting in organ damage and even death. Such developments are creating revenue opportunities for stakeholders in the sepsis treatment market. COVID-19 pneumonia is one of the major factors to cause sepsis in patients, owing to severe lung inflammation that occurs in response to the novel infection.
Bacterial, fungal, and viral infections have the possibility to cause coronavirus pneumonia, thus leading to sepsis. It has been found that patients with severe COVID-19 from Seattle reported severe septic shock, which triggered the demand for drugs to support heart and blood circulation. This has compelled companies in the sepsis treatment market to ensure the availability of treatments and medical supplies to improve patient quality of life.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Sepsis Treatment Market
Severity of AKI, Presence of Electrolyte Disorders Influence Outcomes after CRRT
Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) is considered as the gold standard for sepsis syndromes. However, complications of CRRT such as risks associated with intravascular lines such as hemorrhage, infection or thrombosis need to be communicated to the patient or the family, while considering initiation. Stakeholders in the sepsis treatment market are working closely with healthcare professionals to troubleshoot problems of CRRT by considering factors including severity of illness and necessity of the procedure to reduce morbidity and mortality rates.
CRRT is linked with electrolyte disturbances and hypothermia in patients. Hence, clinicians are considering various factors such as judging the severity of acute kidney injury (AKI) and the presence of electrolyte or acid-base disorders to improve medical outcomes.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Heparin-free RRT Anticoagulation Strategy Decreases Risk of Bleeding in Patients
The global sepsis treatment market is expected to reach US$ 1.6 Bn by the end of 2031. The high number of sepsis patients in the U.S. is creating stable revenue streams for stakeholders. Though CRRT dominates most sepsis procedures in intensive care units (ICUs), there is a significant demand for intermittent hemodialysis (IHD) for the treatment of patients.
Anticoagulation is required for renal replacement therapy (RRT) to prevent clotting of the extracorporeal circuit. On the other hand, systematic heparin anticoagulation is commonly used during IHD. However, this procedure increases the risk of bleeding and results in high ICU mortality rates. In order to overcome this issue, companies in the sepsis treatment market are offering heparin-free RRT anticoagulation strategy for patients.
Companies to Collaborate with Researchers to Advance in Sepsis Diagnosis
The European Sepsis Academy (ESA-ITN) is gaining recognition for advancements in sepsis diagnosis and treatment. This research project involves a training network that assists in diagnosis of sepsis through biomarker diagnostics and clinical trial models. Companies in the sepsis treatment market are taking cues from such research projects and collaborating with researchers to gain information on pathogenesis of sepsis-induced immune suppression and the development of diagnostic platforms.
Companies in the sepsis treatment market are increasing their research in identification and validation of diagnostic markers. They are gaining emphasis on regulatory mechanisms that drive inflammation and immunosuppression during sepsis.
ML-based Sepsis Detection, Management Platform Exhibit Potential to Improve Patient Outcomes
The sepsis deep learning technology is expected to bring a significant change in the global sepsis treatment market. This has led to the popularity of Sepsis Watch, which was developed in November 2018, and serves as a sepsis detection and management platform that can be used by clinicians to improve compliance with recommended treatment guidelines for sepsis. However, there is a need for new mechanisms of trust and accountability that must be developed to ensure that the systems are safe and reliable. Such platforms hold promising potentials to improve patient outcomes and create value grab opportunities for companies in the sepsis treatment market.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in high mortality of patients who were previously and are currently diagnosed with sepsis. CRRT has the potential to prevent worsening of cerebral edema in patients. However, CRRT is associated with electrolyte disturbances and hypotention. Hence, stakeholders in the sepsis treatment market should increase awareness about the adoption of an inter-professional approach to provide safe and efficient CRRT in patients and reduce incidence of complications. Companies in the sepsis treatment market are increasing efforts to learn the health system framework and previously described best practices for bringing in routine and responsible machine learning (ML) in healthcare. They should collaborate with researchers to prevent post-sepsis sequelae and post-sepsis pathways to optimize treatment.
Sepsis Treatment Market: Overview
- The global sepsis treatment market was valued over US$ 600 Mn in 2020 and is projected to expand at a moderate CAGR from 2021 to 2031. Growth of the sepsis treatment market can be attributed to increase in patient population with infectious diseases such as COVID-19 and acute kidney injury; rise in investment by pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in drug discovery; and surge in launch of new products for the treatment of sepsis.
- Presence of key players with technologically advanced products and strong geographic presence are anticipated to propel the global sepsis treatment market. Key industry events, including partnerships, mergers & acquisitions, and collaborations, are expected to fuel the growth of the global sepsis treatment market.
- According to United Nations University (UNU) estimates, the percentage of the world population above 65 years of age is anticipated to increase from 9% in 2010 to 16% by 2050. Hence, increase in the population above 65 years of age asserts the need of safe and effective therapeutics for sepsis treatment. Therefore, rise in population of this group is a major driver of the market.
- Increase in number of product launches and collaborations among players is a major factor propelling of the global sepsis treatment market
- Large number of drugs are under different phases of clinical trials for the treatment of sepsis. Leading companies have made significant investments in clinical R&D and have established strategic partnerships and collaborations to accelerate new product development.
- Asahi Kasei Corporation’s ART-123 is currently in phase III clinical trial and is expected to launch in the first half of 2021
- Altor BioScience is developing anti-TF antibody (ALT-836) to treat septic patients with acute lung injury or acute respiratory distress syndrome
Sepsis Treatment Market: Segmentation
- The global sepsis treatment market has been segmented based on type, therapy, end user, and region
- In terms of type, the global sepsis treatment market has been classified into severe sepsis, septic shock, and sepsis in need of blood purification. The severe sepsis segment accounted for significant share of the global market in 2020. The segment's dominance can be attributed to increase in patient population with infectious diseases such as COVID-19. According to the Global Sepsis Alliance, signs of multi-organ injury, typical of severe sepsis, occur in 2% to 5% of patients with COVID-19 after eight to 10 days.
- Based on therapy, the global sepsis treatment market has been categorized into continuous renal replacement therapies (CRRT), intermittent hemodialysis, sustained low-efficiency daily dialysis (SLEDD), and others. The continuous renal replacement therapies (CRRT) segment dominated the global sepsis treatment market in 2020. Increase in demand for CRRT devices for acute dialysis and various strategic decisions taken by various firms to increase CRRT production are expected to drive the segment during the forecast period. For instance, Baxter has taken a strategic decision to maximize its supply of CRRT devices, fluids, and sets to counter the unprecedented increase in demand for its acute dialysis products in Europe and the U.S.
- In terms of end user, the global sepsis treatment market has been divided into hospitals, specialty centers, and others. The hospitals segment accounted for major share of the market in 2020. Hospitals are an important channel for sepsis treatment. According to government healthcare facilities, hospitals have reimbursement plans and advanced technology systems for sepsis treatment. Growth of the segment can be attributed to an increase in number of hospital facilities across the world.
Sepsis Treatment Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global sepsis treatment market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is projected to be a highly attractive market during the forecast period. Well-established healthcare and life science industries, early adoption of technologically advanced products, high awareness about various infectious as well as chronic diseases, and high per capita healthcare expenditure are the major factors attributed to North America’s large market share in 2020.
- The sepsis treatment market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Increase in disposable income & purchasing power of consumers, rise in biotechnology, research institutes, and research funding by government & private bodies, expansion of healthcare infrastructure, large population base, and increase in incidence of sepsis related disorders are expected to augment the sepsis treatment market in Asia Pacific during the forecast period. Economic growth of China, India, Indonesia, and other countries in Southeast Asia is likely to increase healthcare expenditure, which is projected to drive the sepsis treatment market in the region.
Sepsis Treatment Market: Major Players
- Key players operating in the global sepsis treatment market include
- Baxter International, Inc.
- Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KGaA
- Nipro Corporation
- Asahi Kasei
- B. Braun Group
- CytoSorbents Corporation
- Medtronic plc
- Nikkiso Co., Ltd.
- Medica SPA
- Toray Industries
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- These players focus on adopting various strategies to expand product offerings and to strengthen geographic presence across the globe. Technological advancements, mergers & acquisitions, expansion of product portfolio, and increase in research & development activities are the strategies adopted by the companies to expand business in the global sepsis treatment market.
Sepsis Treatment Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global sepsis treatment market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2021 to 2031. The report provides the overall revenue of the global sepsis treatment market for the period 2017–2031, considering 2020 as the base year and 2031 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global sepsis treatment market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global sepsis treatment market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts also employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomena in the global sepsis treatment market.
The report comprises an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Additionally, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global sepsis treatment market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global sepsis treatment market. The next section of the global sepsis treatment market report highlights the USPs, which include technological advancements, key industry events (mergers, acquisitions, strategic partnerships, etc.), top three players operating in the market space, and COVID-19 pandemic impact on the global sepsis treatment market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global sepsis treatment market. Key players operating in the global sepsis treatment market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players profiled in the global sepsis treatment market report.
Key Questions Answered in Sepsis Treatment Market Report
- What are the sales/revenue generated by sepsis manufacturers across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the key trends in the global sepsis market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which segment will have the highest revenue globally in 2031 and which segment will expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What was the market ranking of different companies operating in the global market in 2020?
Sepsis Treatment Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global sepsis treatment market begins with an overview of the market, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives of the study and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the global sepsis treatment market. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the global sepsis treatment market, which includes TMR analysis of market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the growth of the market. Furthermore, Y-o-Y analysis with elaborate insights has been provided to understand the Y-o-Y trends of the global sepsis treatment market.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into smaller ones. The report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Revenue generated by key product manufacturers has been mapped to ascertain the size of the global sepsis treatment market in terms of value. The forecast presented here assesses the total revenue generated in the global sepsis treatment market. In order to provide an accurate forecast, we initiated by sizing of the current sepsis treatment market with the help of the parent market.
The report analyzes the global sepsis treatment market in terms of type, therapy, end user, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2031 has been provided. These valuable insights would help market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investments in the global sepsis treatment market.
Sepsis Treatment Market – Segmentation