Orthopedic biomaterials are organic or synthetic materials of biologic composition used for internal fixation of fracture. Biomaterial devices which are manufactured for large number of orthopedic applications are commonly termed as ‘Implants’. These biomaterials help in re-establishing the structural integrity of the damaged bone due to trauma or diseased conditions. Biocompatibility of the material is the primary factor to be considered before its usage in orthopedic applications. Other characteristics on which the success of biomaterials in biological applications depends on the choice of material for its construction, appropriate design, stability and various properties like hardness and tensile strength and their interaction with soft and hard tissues and intra and extracellular fluids of the human body and blood.
The orthopedic biomaterials market is categorized on the type of biomaterial, its application and by geography. The major types of biomaterials used in the orthopedic applications are divided into two groups; metals and non-metals:
- Stainless steels: 316L
- Titanium and titanium-base alloys
- Cobalt alloys
The orthopedic implants by application are categorized as follows:
- Joint replacements
- Bioresorbable tissue fixation products
- Nonconventional modular tumor implants
- Spine implants
Globally, North America dominates the orthopedic biomaterials market due to increase in aging population and is followed by European countries, Asia and rest of the world. Developing countries in Asia such as China and Taiwan are expected to undergo rapid market growth due to rising awareness of biodegradable products, vigorous research-related activities, collaborations and undertaking of various health conferences and conventions both by governments and private bodies.
One of the major drivers for this market is the vigorous ongoing research in development of biomaterials and its widened scope of applications. Other factors driving the orthopedic biomaterials market include increase in investments for novel development, government initiative of funding and grants, advancement in technologies and increase in elderly population. The key deterrents responsible for curbing the market growth are lack of data for long term performance of clinical studies, stringent regulatory laws, post implantation issues such as fracture fatigue and dicey reimbursement policies.
Some of the key players in orthopedic biomaterials market are Carpenter Technology Corporation, Materion Corporation, Ulbrich Stainless Steel & Special Metals, Inc., Heraeus Medical Components, CeramTec (a subsidiary of Rockwood Holdings Inc.), Ceradyne, Inc., Kyocera Corporation, Bayer, Purac Biomaterials, DSM Biomedical, Inc., Evonik Industries AG, Cam Bioceramics B.V., Ticona GmbH, Osteotech, Inc., Starch Medical, Inc. and Landec Corporation.
This research report analyzes this market depending on its market segments, major geographies, and current market trends. Geographies analyzed under this research report include
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
This report provides comprehensive analysis of
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for upcoming years
This report is a complete study of current trends in the market, industry growth drivers, and restraints. It provides market projections for the coming years. It includes analysis of recent developments in technology, Porter’s five force model analysis and detailed profiles of top industry players. The report also includes a review of micro and macro factors essential for the existing market players and new entrants along with detailed value chain analysis.
Reasons for Buying this Report
- This report provides pin-point analysis for changing competitive dynamics
- It provides a forward looking perspective on different factors driving or restraining market growth
- It provides a technological growth map over time to understand the industry growth rate
- It provides a seven-year forecast assessed on the basis of how the market is predicted to grow
- It helps in understanding the key product segments and their future
- It provides pin point analysis of changing competition dynamics and keeps you ahead of competitors
- It helps in making informed business decisions by having complete insights of market and by making in-depth analysis of market segments
- It provides distinctive graphics and exemplified SWOT analysis of major market segments