Viscosupplementation Market (Product Type: Single Injection, Three Injections, and Five Injections; Application: Knee Osteoarthritis, Hip Osteoarthritis, and Hand Osteoarthritis; Source: Animal and Non-animal; and Distribution Channel: Retail Pharmacies, Hospital Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Viscosupplementation Reinvented with Biomimetic Polymers to Restore Mobility in OA Patients
An alarming number of individuals suffering from osteoarthritis (OA) has fueled innovation of next-gen viscosupplements. Companies in the viscosupplementation market are increasing efforts to deliver formulations that result in long-lasting pain relief. For instance, Articulate Biosciences— a pre-seed medical device startup, has gained expertise in the development of next-gen, cartilage-protecting viscosupplement that provides significantly longer pain relief to OA patients. The key to success in the market for viscosupplementation is longer pain relief and restoration of mobility in OA patients. Such innovations are bolstering market growth, where the market is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 4.8 Bn by the end of 2027.
Novel biomimetic polymer viscosupplements are increasingly replacing in-development osteoarthritis joint injections. Hence, companies in the viscosupplementation market are increasing R&D in biocompatible polymers, since these polymers are extensively used in FDA-approved stents, contact lenses, and surgical meshes. The market is witnessing a change with the introduction of biocompatible polymers that prevent degradation associated with hyaluronic acid.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Viscosupplementation Market
Intra-articular Single-injection Viscosupplements Enter List of High-value Therapeutic Solutions
Innovations in intra-articular single-injection viscosupplements are generating revenue opportunities for healthcare companies. This is justified since the revenue of single-injection products is predicted to experience an uptick in the viscosupplementation market. Companies are developing viscosupplements that stay for a prolonged period in the knee joint cavity. For instance, Seikagaku Corporation— a Japan-based pharmaceutical company, announced the launch of HyLink®, a CE marked intra-articular single-injection viscosupplement used for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis through MDM S.p.A., a pharmaceutical company involved in active marketing of high-value therapeutic solutions in Italy. As such, the revenue of knee osteoarthritis application segment is projected for exponential growth in the viscosupplementation market.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Companies in the market for viscosupplementation are increasing their research efforts in cross-linked hyaluronate hydrogel, which stays longer in the knee joint cavity and offers pain relief for prolonged weeks. Manufacturers in the market for viscosupplementation are setting their collaboration wheels in motion by entering into exclusive distributorship agreements to strategically target OA patients.
Consensus-based Expert Statements to Guide Practitioners on IAHA Implementation
The viscosupplementation market is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~7% during the forecast period. Since companies have established a strong business hold in North America, they are now turning toward Asia Pacific to unearth revenue streams, since this market in Asia Pacific is anticipated for aggressive growth. India being one of the rapidly growing economies of Asia Pacific, is grabbing the attention of healthcare companies and researchers to develop products through deep understanding of patients and clinician needs. However, it has been found that there is a dearth of robust evidence supporting the effectiveness of viscosupplementation or intra-articular hyaluronic acid (IAHA) treatment, which is likely to hamper market growth.
Nonoperative treatment approaches such as viscosupplementation and IAHA delay the need for total knee replacement surgeries in patients who are not ideal candidates for invasive treatment methods. However, the lack of clinical evidence on the safety and effectiveness of IAHA has created barriers for market growth in India. Thus, companies in the viscosupplementation market should increase efforts to collect consensus-based expert statements that can guide practitioners on IAHA use.
Combination Therapy of Gel Injection and Knee Bracing Benefit Moderate-grade Knee Arthritis Patients
Apart from knee OA, companies in the viscosupplementation market are seeking value growth by increasing treatment options for hip and hand OA. Manufacturers are increasing their production capabilities to develop innovative synovial fluids that thicken up when pressure is applied and act as shock absorbing materials. The growing availability of synthetic products are triggering the growth of the viscosupplementation market. This is evident since non-animal sourced products are anticipated for exponential growth in the market landscape.
Companies in the market for viscosupplementation are increasing awareness about combination treatments such as gel injections with knee bracing to improve patient outcomes. It has been found that gel injections may be more effective when combined with knee bracing. This combination treatment are benefitting patients with moderate-grade knee arthritis. Likewise, companies are increasing R&D activities to develop combination therapies using stem cell for patients with severe knee arthritis.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Apart from retail pharmacies, companies in the viscosupplementation market are directing their supply chains toward online pharmacies, since this distribution channel is projected for aggressive growth during the forecast period. Companies are focusing on innovations in 3-injection regimens using sodium hyarulonate acid.
IAHA has helped to delay the need for total knee replacement surgeries in patients who are not ideal for surgical treatments. However, the lack of evidence on the safety and effectiveness of IAHA has slowed down market growth. Hence, companies should aim toward collecting consensus-based expert statements through government-held advisory board meetings that can guide practitioners on the IAHA use.
Viscosupplementation Market: Overview
- Viscosupplement drugs can be administered using single injection, three injections, and five injections. These injections are used for arthritis for all types of joint.
- In this procedure, a gel-like fluid called hyaluronic acid is injected into the joint
- The three injections segment dominated the global viscosupplementation market in 2018. Growth of the segment can be attributed to increase in demand for viscosupplement injections and rise in adoption of this therapy.
- Rise in prevalence of osteoarthritis among the geriatric population is a major factor boosting the growth of the global viscosupplementation market. The prevalence of osteoarthritis is high among the elderly population and increases with age. An article published by the Geriatric Orthopedic Surgery & Rehabilitation in 2015 stated that osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common age-related joint disease affecting over 80% people aged above 55.
- Surge in demand for minimally invasive surgery is another factor fueling the growth of the global viscosupplementation market. Viscosupplement injection is a minimally invasive therapy for osteoarthritis, which minimizes blood loss, reduces hospital stay, offers quicker rehabilitation, and smaller incision. Rise in inclination toward minimally invasive surgery drives demand for viscosupplementation.
Rise in Awareness about New Drugs for Treatment
- Rise in awareness about new drugs for treatment propels the global market. Knee osteoarthritis is a leading cause of disability among the geriatric population. Therapeutic options for knee OA include non-pharmacologic, pharmacologic, and surgical interventions. Joint replacement surgery is generally reserved for patients who do not respond to other treatments. An article published in NCBI in 2015 indicated that treatments considered to be most effective include viscosupplement injections (74.1%), narcotics (67.8%), and steroid injection (67.6%).
Market Segmentation: Viscosupplementation Market
- Based on product type, the global viscosupplementation market has been divided into single injection, three injections, and five injections
- In terms of application, the global viscosupplementation market has been classified into knee osteoarthritis, hip osteoarthritis, and hand osteoarthritis
- Based on source, the global viscosupplementation market has been bifurcated into animal and non-animal
- In terms of distribution channel, the global viscosupplementation market has been categorized into retail pharmacies, hospital pharmacies, and online pharmacies
- Each of the segments has been analyzed in detail for market trends, recent trends & developments, drivers, restraints, opportunities, and useful insights. The report provides current and future revenue (US$ Mn) for each of these segments for the period from 2017 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year. The compound annual growth rate (% CAGR) has been provided for each segment and market from 2019 to 2027 along with market size estimations.
Geographic Overview: Viscosupplementation Market
- In terms of region, the global viscosupplementation market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The regions have been divided into major countries and sub-regions.
- The current and future market sizes in terms of revenue (US$ Mn) of these regional markets and their major countries have been provided in the report for the period from 2017 to 2027, with their CAGRs for the period from 2019 to 2027
- The study also offers a list of recommendations, highlights, and useful insights of the market which will help new companies willing to enter the market and existing companies to increase market shares, and help in the decision-making process
- The report concludes with the company profiles section that includes key information about the major players in the market
- Leading players analyzed in the report are
- Anika Therapeutics, Inc.
- Seikagaku Corporation
- Zimmer Biomet
- Ferring B.V.
- LG Chem
- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd,
- Bioventus, Inc.
- Each of these players has been profiled in the report based on parameters such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, product portfolio, business segments, and recent developments
Viscosupplementation Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global viscosupplementation market studies the past as well as the current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global viscosupplementation market for the period 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) of the global viscosupplementation market from 2019 to 2027.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global viscosupplementation market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various attributes of the global viscosupplementation market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global viscosupplementation market. These serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global viscosupplementation market.
The report also delves into the competitive landscape of the global viscosupplementation market. Key players operating in the global viscosupplementation market have been identified and each one of these has been profiled in terms of various attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are attributes of players in the global viscosupplementation market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Viscosupplementation Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by viscosupplementation across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the global viscosupplementation market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the global market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which product segment is expected to generate the highest revenue globally in 2027? Which segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What are the market positions of different companies operating in the global market?
Viscosupplementation Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global viscosupplementation market begins with an overview, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study and key vendors and distributors operating in the market and regulatory scenario for approval of products.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into smaller sections. The report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that have been appropriately interspersed. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the global viscosupplementation market in terms of product type, application, source, distribution channel, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2027 has been provided. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders to make informed business decisions for investment in the global viscosupplementation market.
Viscosupplementation Market - Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global viscosupplementation market includes information divided into five segments: product type, source, application, distribution channel, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global viscosupplementation market have been discussed in detail.
Middle East & Africa