Treatment-resistant Depression Market: Introduction
- Depression is feeling of sadness that interferes with functioning and/or a decreased interest or pleasure in activities. It has a number of side effects, such as change in hormonal levels and emotionally distressing events, and hereditary and side effects of drugs lead to depression. Antidepressants, electroconvulsive therapy, and psychotherapy may help to treat the patient suffering from depression.
- Treatment-resistant depression is a disorder where the patient does not respond to antidepressants used to treat the condition. The effect of antidepressants is observed to be minimal or nil in case of treatment-resistant depression.
- Expansion of the treatment-resistant depression market is anticipated to be driven by increase in demand for new therapies for treatment-resistant depression, promising products in pipeline, and approved drugs by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Treatment-resistant Depression Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Treatment-resistant Depression Market
- NMDA receptor antagonists and combination drugs developed by Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.) and Eli Lilly and Company, respectively, are available to treat drug-resistant depression. These medications are available in the form of nasal sprays and tablets.
- Prominent market players have entered into agreement for the development of new therapeutics in neurological disorders. In March 2019, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.) received the FDA approval for SPRAVATO (esketamine) CIII, a nasal spray used in combination with an oral antidepressant in adults with treatment-resistant depression. Evotec AG entered into a license agreement with Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. regarding its NR2B subtype selective NMDA-antagonist portfolio indicated for depression disorders. As per the agreement, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. was granted worldwide license to a series of small molecule drug candidates, develop the compounds, and market the products.
- In September 2019, Evotec AG and F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd entered into an agreement for Phase II clinical development of EVT 101 indicated for treatment-resistant depression
North America to Hold a Major Share of Global Treatment-resistant Depression Market
- Globally, North America is likely to hold the maximum market share due to extensive research and development activities, new product approvals, and increase in prevalence of treatment-resistant depression
- Sage Therapeutics is developing SAGE-217 for treatment-resistant depression and generalized anxiety disorder. The company is evaluating SAGE-217 as the next-generation positive allosteric modulator (PAM) of GABAA receptors under Phase III for the treatment of treatment-resistant depression and generalized anxiety disorder.
- Navitor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is developing a drug NV-5138 for the treatment of treatment-resistant depression. NV-5138 is orally active small molecule that selectively activates mTORC1 in the brain, which is expected to have a potential to treat cognitive impairment, depression, and other neurological conditions.
- Research centers and government agencies are also conducting research on neurological disorder treatment. The National Institute of Mental Health funded a research on Rapidly-Acting Treatments for Treatment-Resistant Depression (RAPID). The research focuses on identifying and analyzing pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments for various types of depression.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Treatment-resistant Depression Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Market:
Major players operating in the global treatment-resistant depression market are:
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.)
- Eli Lilly and Company
Global Treatment-resistant Depression Market: Research Scope
Global Treatment-resistant Depression Market, by Drug Class
- NMDA Receptor Antagonists
- Combination Drugs
Global Treatment-resistant Depression Market, by Route of Administration
Global Treatment-resistant Depression Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
Global Treatment-resistant Depression Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.