Rise in Prevalence of Cancer Propelled T-cell Therapy Market
- T-cell therapy includes using genetically engineered T-cells to produce an artificial T-cell receptor for application in immunotherapy. Both the first two FDA-approved CAR-T therapies target the CD19 antigen, which is found on many types of B-cell cancers. Kymriah is approved to treat relapsed/refractory B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia and Yescarta is approved to treat relapsed/refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL).
- Growing prevalence of cancer across the world and increase in cancer research & development drive the market. According to the WHO, the number of global cancer deaths is projected to increase by 45% between 2008 and 2030. It is also estimated that by 2030, approximately 10 to 11 million cases of cancers would be diagnosed each year in low- and middle-income countries.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of T-cell Therapy Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global T-cell Therapy Market
- Increase in investment in adoptive T-cell transfer approaches of disease treatment drives the market. Furthermore, technological advancements in manufacturing processes and developments in CAR T-cell therapy for solid tumors fuel the revenue generation. The approvals and clinical success of Kymriah and Yescarta opened new and encouraging avenues for developers of cellular immunotherapies.
- High prices of therapies are likely to limit the market growth in the near future. The CAR T therapy costs range between US$ 373,000 and US$ 475,000 per infusion. The reimbursement gap remains unsustainable and is a huge impediment to patient access. In the U.S., CMS recently raised reimbursement of the total cost of CAR T-cell therapies from 50% to 65%, effective from 2020.
CAR T-cell Therapy Estimated to Dominate Global T-cell Therapy Market
- Based on type, the global T-cell therapy market can be divided into: CAR T-cell Therapy, T-cell Receptor (TCR)-based, and Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes (TIL)-based
- The CAR T-cell therapy segment dominated the global T-cell therapy market in terms of revenue generation in 2018 and is expected to lead the position during the forecast period. Large number of research institutions and companies are doing clinical studies with different CAR-T products that often target the same condition.
- In 2018, Kymriah, which is a T-cell therapy for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, was manufactured for more than 300 patients intended to be used across 11 countries and 35 certified treatment centers. On the other hand, by June 2018, around 61 cancer centers were authorized for Yescarta administration to patients, which is the first CAR T therapy for adults living with certain types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Rise in number of research & development activities boosts the market growth.
Solid Tumors Segment to Witness Highest Growth
- Based on indication, the global T-cell therapy market can be divided into: Hematologic Malignancies and Solid Tumors. The hematologic malignancies segment is sub-segmented into lymphoma, leukemia, and myeloma. The solid tumors segment is further segmented into melanoma, brain & central nervous system, liver cancer, and others.
- In terms of indication, the hematologic malignancies segment dominated the global T-cell therapy market in 2018. CAR T-cell therapy has efficiently proven its effectiveness for hematologic malignancies, especially diffuse B-cell lymphoma (DBCL). Over 25,000 new cases of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) are diagnosed annually in the U.S., representing an incidence rate of 6.9 per 100,000.
- However, solid tumors offer tenfold greater opportunity than hematological cancers with possibly 1.3 million cancer patients annually. Effective and affordable CAR-T for solid tumors treatment offers benefits to patients and substantial investment returns to market entities.
North America to Dominate Global T-cell Therapy Market
- In terms of region, the global T-cell therapy market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the T-Cell therapy market in 2018, followed by Europe, due to high number of sponsors from the U.S. for clinical trials, large number of research institute presence, and the U.S. FDA approval of CAR T-cell therapeutics in the U.S. and Canada. In August 2017, the first chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR-T cell) therapy was approved for the market in the U.S. for targeted cancer immunotherapy, and CAR-T cell therapy developers have recently gained entry into the market in Europe as well.
- Asia Pacific is expected to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Rise in number of clinical trials pertaining to CAR T-cell therapies and increase in number of diseases are anticipated to boost the growth of the market in this region.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in T-cell Therapy Market, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global T-cell therapy market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Novartis AG
- Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- TCR2 Therapeutics Inc.
- Sorrento Therapeutics, Inc.
- Fate Therapeutics
- Merck KGaA
- Celgene Corporation
T-Cell Therapy Market: Research Scope
T-Cell Therapy Market, by Type
- CAR T-cell Therapy
- T-cell Receptor (TCR)-based
- Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes (TIL)-based
T-Cell Therapy Market, by Indication
- Hematologic Malignancies
- Solid Tumors
- Brain & Central Nervous System
- Liver Cancer
T-Cell Therapy Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.