Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market
Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market (Type: Swab Type [Nasal Swabs, Nasopharyngeal Swabs, and Throat Swabs] and Transport Medium; Application: Viral Infection Diagnosis [COVID-19, Influenza, Herpes Simplex Virus, Varicella-zoster Virus, and Others], and Others; and End User: Hospitals & Clinics, Microbiology Laboratories, Diagnostic Laboratories, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020-2030
Press Release :
CDC Recommendations Fuel Production of Viral Transport Medium for COVID-19 Research
The demand for swab and viral transport medium has increased during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. Since research institutes and labs have intensified their experiments for developing COVID-19 vaccines, companies in the swab and viral transport medium market have increased their production capacities to develop products useful for viral collection, maintenance, and culture. For instance, Innovative Research - a manufacturer of high quality and affordable research materials, developing viral transport medium to support global research in COVID-19.
Rapid antigen testing and molecular assay experiments have fueled the demand for swab and viral transport medium during the ongoing coronavirus crisis. Long-term freezers and direct fluorescent antibody (DVA) applications are creating incremental opportunities for companies in the swab and viral transport medium market. They are following CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) recommendations to develop the formulations of products.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market
Sterile Swabs Facilitate Minimal Contact of Healthcare Workers with COVID-19 Samples
Overwhelming repercussions of the COVID-19 outbreak are being experienced in various sectors. In order to stabilize business activities like before, there is an unprecedented demand for COVID-19 vaccines to revive economic growth worldwide. Hence, technologists at the Sree Chitra Triunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST) and Mallelil Industries co-developed oral and nasal swabs for COVID-19 testing. Companies in the swab and viral transport medium market are increasing the availability of sterile and ready-to-use swabs for COVID-19 testing.
Since COVID-19 cases continue to rise in India, companies in the India swab and viral transport medium market are manufacturing polymeric foam-tipped swabs with flexible plastic handles to deliver efficient recovery of viral RNA. Improved specimen collection with minimum discomfort to patients is the key to develop oral and nasal swabs. However, minimal contact of healthcare workers with samples during packing is another important aspect of COVID-19 testing.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Appropriate Specimen Collection Crucial for Influenza Diagnosis
Companies in the swab and viral transport medium market are innovating in kits containing vials, double-ended flocked swabs, antibiotics, and other items that inhibit bacterial or fungal contamination. They are focusing on improved formulation of Hanks solution to contain the reproduction of bacterial and fungal flora. Innovative viral transport medium products are bolstering growth of the swab and viral transport medium market, which is estimated to reach a value of US$ 2.2 Bn by 2030.
With the onset of the flu season, manufacturers are developing viral transport medium for influenza diagnostics. Influenza-related morbidity and mortality is a major concern in healthcare in western countries. Hence, manufacturers are increasing their R&D capabilities to manufacture swabs and viral transport medium that facilitates appropriate specimen collection for improved patient care.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market
False Negatives and Reinfections Hamper Diagnosis of COVID-19 in Patients
The swab and viral transport medium market is projected to advance at a sluggish CAGR of ~3% during the forecast period. This is evident since the issue of false negatives and reinfection is surfacing in COVID-19 diagnosis. As such, healthcare professionals are facing issues to test performance and interpretation of COVID-19 testing, as the level of viral RNA in many cases is below the limit of detection. Hence, manufacturers in the swab and viral transport medium market are following CDC guidelines to develop products that facilitate appropriate specimen collection.
A good specimen collection leads to accurate results, thus improving clinical outcomes for COVID-19 testing. As such, nasopharyngeal (NP) swabs are being highly publicized for COVID-19 testing and is recommended by the CDC. On the other hand, manufacturers are developing nasal turbinate swabs and self-collected swabs for efficient collection of the coronavirus using saliva to diagnose the infection.
Strategic Agreements Strengthen Distribution of Swab and Viral Transport Medium
Companies in the swab and viral transport medium market are increasing efforts to develop FDA (Food & Drug Association)-approved products to gain global recognition. For instance, Hardy Diagnostics— an FDA-licensed manufacturer of medical devices for microbiological testing has introduced the Universal Transport Medium (UTM)® which is suitable for collection, maintenance, and long-term freeze storage of clinical specimens. Prolonged viability of organisms is highly preferred by researchers in swab and viral transport medium.
Manufacturers in the swab and viral transport medium market are innovating in products that facilitate rapid antigen testing, viral culture, and molecular-based assay. They are adopting the vertically integrated approach to manufacture swab and viral transport medium in order to gain complete control over the entire process. Companies are entering into strategic agreements to strengthen the distribution of products.
3D Printed Swab Gains Popularity for Cost-efficient Production Using Renewable Resources
The 3 dimensional (3D) printers are being used to produce cost-efficient nasopharyngeal swabs. Companies in the swab and viral transport medium market are using fused deposition modelling (FDM) printers to manufacture nasopharyngeal swab in a cost-efficient manner. Apart from hospital and retail pharmacies, manufacturers are now realizing the potential of online pharmacies. Hence, they are collaborating with e-Commerce giants to broaden their revenue streams.
Manufacturers are using FDA-approved biocompatible materials in swab such as polylactic acid (PLA) plastic filament. They are making use of renewable resources such as sugarcane and tapioca roots to produce 3D printed swab. On the other hand, companies are using flocking methods to electrostatically deposit small fibers of synthetic materials onto an adhesive-coated surface to produce nasopharyngeal swabs. In order to eliminate the need for adhesives, manufacturers are using mini blunt-ended hooks to secure polyester threads of nasopharyngeal swabs.
The FDA has relaxed its regulations for the production of swab and viral transport medium used in COVID-19 diagnosis. However, there is a need for pandemic preparedness funding to develop technologies that are agile and quickly adapt to the introduction of new pathogens in the environment in the upcoming years. Hence, companies in the swab and viral transport medium market should invest in state-of-the-art facilities that prevent the shortage of products in future pandemic-like situations and cater to rapid testing applications. Manufacturers are increasing their portfolio in products that facilitate appropriate collection of chlamydia, ureaplasma, and mycoplasma that remain stable even at room temperature.
Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global swab and viral transport medium market for the historical period 2018-2019 and the forecast period 2020-2030, increase in demand for swabs and viral transport medium, owing to COVID-19 pandemic is projected to drive the global swab and viral transport medium market in the near future
- According to the report, the global swab and viral transport medium market was valued at US$ 0.9 Bn in 2019 and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~3% from 2020 to 2030
Increase in Demand for Swabs and Viral Transport Medium Owing to COVID-19 Pandemic : Key Driver of Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as of January 21, 2020, the total cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. stood at 5,340,232 and total deaths at 168,696. Cases among healthcare personnel were 135,298 and 629 deaths.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has led to an unprecedented need of diagnostic reverse transcription-PCR (RT-PCR) testing
- The ideal way for taking the specimen type is a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, which can be easily transported to a molecular microbiology laboratory in viral transport medium (VTM) and the swabs for the further examinations
- There are several low cost techniques such as saline, with RT-PCR and NAAT assays for respiratory pathogens and its analysis. These have been developed and the FDA has cleared for use with more complex transport media such as VTM and universal transport medium [UTM].
- Hence, increase in demand for swabs and viral transport medium, owing to COVID-19 pandemic is expected to drive the global swab and viral transport market
Surge in Government Initiatives for Infectious and Non-infectious Diseases: Major Driver of Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market
- Addressing the needs of patients with infectious and non-infectious diseases has become a priority for healthcare providers and government organizations across the globe
- Moreover, the U.S. Administration for Community Living, Department of Health and Human Services, offers sponsorship for various studies on sepsis. These government initiatives encourage the development of new therapies for the treatment of infectious diseases.
Increase in Geriatric Population: Major Driver of Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market
- According to the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, globally, there were 703 million persons aged 65 or over in 2019
- Eastern and Southeastern Asia were home to a significantly large number of the world’s geriatric population of ~260 million, which is followed by Europe and Northern America over 200 million
- The global geriatric population over the next three decades is projected to more than double, reaching over 1.5 billion persons in 2050
- The largest increase, about 312 million individuals, is projected to occur in Eastern and Southeastern Asia growing from 261 million in 2019 to 573 million persons aged 65 years or over, in 2050
- According to data from World Population Prospects: the 2019 Revision, by 2050, one in six people in the world would be over age 65 (16%), up from one in 11 in 2019 (9%)
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 38 million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese in 2019. In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults aged 18 years and older were overweight. Of these, over 650 million adults were obese.
- Once considered a high-income country issue, overweight and obesity are presently on the rise in low- and middle-income countries, particularly in urban settings
- Thus, rise in geriatric and obese population drives diseases and swab and viral transport medium market
Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players operating in the global swab and viral transport medium market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The global swab and viral transport medium market is moderately fragmented with the presence of a large number of leading players in the international market and several small players in regional markets. Top players hold a major share of the global swab and viral transport medium market.
- Prominent players operating in the global swab and viral transport medium market include -
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Dickinson and Company
- Titan Biotech Ltd
- COPAN Diagnostics Inc.
- Puritan Medical Products
- YOCON Biology
- Trinity Biotech
- VIRCELL S.L.
- The report on the global swab & viral transport medium market discusses individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers of vaccines. The competition landscape section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global swab and viral transport medium market.
Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global swab and viral transport medium market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2020 to 2030. The report provides the revenue of the global swab and viral transport medium market for the period 2018-2030, considering 2019 as the base year and 2030 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the global swab and viral transport medium market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after extensive primary and secondary researches. Primary research involves bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Secondary research involves referring to key players’ vaccines, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global swab and viral transport medium market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global swab and viral transport medium market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments includes in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global swab and viral transport medium market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global swab and viral transport medium market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global swab and viral transport medium market. Key players operating in the global swab and viral transport medium market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global swab and viral transport medium market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of swab and viral transport medium and its companies in the global swab and viral transport medium market and its application segment?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global swab and viral transport medium market between 2020 and 2030?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global swab and viral transport medium market?
- Will North America continue to be the most attractive market for swab and viral transport medium providers?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the global swab and viral transport medium market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global swab and viral transport medium market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global swab and viral transport medium market and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the global swab and viral transport medium market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, device portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers who contributed to TMR’s study on the global swab and viral transport medium market’s primary sources.
These primary and secondary sources have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from swab and viral transport medium market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global swab and viral transport medium market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenue numbers for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global swab and viral transport medium market more reliably and accurately.
Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market - Segmentation