Surgical Glue Market
Surgical Glue Market (Product: Natural Adhesives and Sealants and Synthetic & Semi-synthetic Adhesives and Sealants; Indication: Hemostasis and Tissue Sealing; Application: Cardiovascular Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Liver & Spleen Lacerations, Orthopedic Surgery, Burn Bleeding, Wound Management, General Surgery, and Others; and End User: Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Specialty Clinics) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Surgical Glue to Replace Staplers and Sutures
Staplers and sutures are conventional techniques used to close wounds and incisions during emergency treatments. However, these conventional techniques do not provide the desired results in complicated medical surgeries and are not capable of making a liquid-tight or an airtight seal on the artery or a lung wound. The uptake of surgical glue has, thus witnessed significant growth in the past few years and the trend is set to continue during the forecast period (2019-2027). Advancements in the surgical glue market were primarily aimed at addressing the limitations of traditional wound sealing techniques. Furthermore, due to favorable biological and physical properties of surgical glue, more number of surgeons are using this technique to seal wounds. Surgical glue is derived from several natural biopolymers including gelatin, collagen, chitosan, albumin, and fibrin.
The adoption of surgical glue to perform orthopedic, cardiovascular, ophthalmic, gastrointestinal, periodontal, and reconstructive surgeries, among others, has witnessed significant growth. With consistent research and progress, innovations in the surgical glue market are expected to focus on improving the biocompatibility of these products. Increasing awareness regarding the advantages offered by surgical glue, a significant rise in the number of surgical procedures worldwide, and focus on improving the efficacy of new surgical glue are some of the leading factors that are expected to propel the growth of the market for surgical glue. The surgical glue market is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 2.9 Bn by 2027 from ~US$ 2 Bn in 2020.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Surgical Glue Market
Demand for Natural and Synthetic Biomedical Adhesives
The popularity of surgical glue continues to rise, as conventional wound closure techniques are time-consuming and involve multiple practical difficulties. Furthermore, traditional techniques are associated with causing pain to the surrounding tissues and in some cases, lead to infections. Mechanical procedures, including staplers and surgical sutures could leave unwanted gaps when used to treat specific body parts. In recent times, the demand for natural as well as synthetic biomedical adhesives has experienced a significant boost. The demand for these is on the rise, as they are safe and remain unaffected upon contact with internal organs, tissues, body fluids, blood, etc. One of the primary factors that are positively influencing the demand for surgical glue is the exceptional capability of the product to prevent fluid leakage.
Despite the strong competition between natural adhesives & sealants and synthetic & semi-synthetic adhesives & sealants, the latter is expected to hold a higher share of the surgical glue market during the forecast period. The synthetic & semi-synthetic adhesives and sealants product segment of the surgical glue market is likely to attain a market value of ~US$ 1.6 Bn and account for a market share of ~ 57% in 2027. Synthetic surgical glue is derived from cyanoacrylates, polyethylene glycol, polyurethanes, epoxies, etc. Of these, significant research is being carried out to explore the potential of cyanoacrylates and polyethylene glycol, as they are easy to use, have the desired biocompatibility, and offer competitive biological profiles. Despite following the trails of synthetic surgical glue in terms of market value, the natural adhesives & sealants product segment of the surgical glue market is expected to expand at a faster CAGR (~6%) during the forecast period. In the current scenario, research and development activities have paved the way for the new generation of adhesives, including blended adhesives – a combination of synthetic and natural substances. While blended surgical glue is likely to enter the surgical glue market in the near future, synthetic surgical glue will remain the most prominent product.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Development of New Surgical Glue to Drive Surgical Glue Market
Stakeholders operating in the surgical glue market are expected to increase their efforts toward the development of new surgical glue with improved physical and functional properties. For instance, in June 2019, the research team at Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, announced that they have developed a new surgical glue that is non-toxic, biodegradable, and flexible. The new product is compatible with both internal as well as external surgeries. Despite emerging as a reliable alternative for surgical staplers and sutures, surgical glue is typically used for external applications only. However, the newly developed glue addresses this challenge.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Surgical Glue Market”
The surgical glue market is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period. Limitations of the traditional wound closure techniques and advent of surgical glue with enhanced capabilities and mechanical properties will provide an impetus for the adoption of surgical glue during the forecast period. Stakeholders should continue their pursuit of the development of new surgical glue and explore the potential of blended adhesives as well. North America and Europe are expected to be at the forefront, in terms of market share and value, owing to advancements in technology, significant investments in R&D, and high concentration of established market players in these regions.
Surgical Glue Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the surgical glue market for the historical period of 2017-2018 and the forecast period of 2019-2027, rise in prevention of blood loss during surgeries is anticipated to drive the global surgical glue market in the near future
- According to the report, the global surgical glue market was valued at ~US$ 1.8 Bn in 2018. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~5% from 2019 to 2027.
Rise in Efforts to Prevent Blood Loss During Surgeries: A Key Driver
- Blood transfusion has been a common therapeutic intervention, and mainstay used for the treatment of perioperative anemia and surgical blood loss. Anemia in acute and chronic conditions is associated with increased risk of morbidity and mortality.
- Pathophysiology of blood transfusion in the perioperative period is complex and it is not completely understood yet. The existing therapies for the same have not produced any demonstrable improvement in the outcome.
- Rise in the rate of morbidity and mortality associated with blood transfusion can be attributed to increased susceptibility and transmission of infections, transfusion reactions, altered immune response, circulatory overload, and transfusion-related acute lung injury, which result in longer hospital stays and risen expenses
- Furthermore, overutilization of components of blood is widening the gap between supply and demand for products
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has recognized patient blood management as the new standard of care (World Health Alliance resolution A 63.12). The WHO has urged all its 193 member countries to implement this new standard.
- All these factors are projected to drive the global surgical glue market during the forecast period
Increase in Adoption of Minimally Invasive Procedures to Hamper Surgical Glue Market
- In a minimally invasive surgery, doctors use a variety of techniques so as to cause less damage to the body compared to an open surgery. In general, minimally invasive surgeries are associated with less pain, shorter hospital stays, and fewer complications.
- In a minimally invasive surgery, smaller surgical incisions are made and these surgeries are generally less risky than traditional surgeries. However, even with minimally invasive surgeries, a risk of complications associated with anesthesia, bleeding, and infection is involved.
- Thus, growing adoption of minimally invasive surgeries is estimated to hamper the global surgical glue market during the forecast period
Lack of Reimbursements
- Unlike pharmaceuticals and devices, which are often developed by companies with specific marketing goals or strategies, surgical procedures are developed in a more diffuse and less ‘market-oriented’ manner. Similarly, the entry of drugs and devices into the market is regulated significantly by formal and often costly and time-consuming procedures.
- Evaluation of new surgical procedures remains much less formal than that of drugs and devices. Drugs are classically evaluated through a double-blind, randomized, and controlled trial. New devices can be evaluated in the same manner, although it is much more difficult to blind investigators and use placebos. With surgical procedures, randomization is highly difficult under reasonable ethical guidelines. Moreover, the number of cases evaluated is typically less than the number of drug and device evaluations.
Surgical Glue Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players operating in the global surgical glue market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The surgical glue market is moderately fragmented, with the presence of a few large-scale players in the international market and numerous small-scale players in regional markets. The top 4-5 players hold a major share of the global surgical glue market.
- Prominent players operating in the global surgical glue market include-
- Braun Melsungen
- Cardinal Health
- CR. Bard
- Johnson and Johnson
- OptMed, Inc.
- Advanced Medical Solutions Group plc
- Integra LifeSciences
The report on the global surgical glue market discusses individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers of surgical glue products. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global surgical glue market.
Surgical Glue Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global surgical glue market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the said market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global surgical glue market for the period of 2017–2027, with 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global surgical glue market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research involves bulk of research efforts wherein, analysts carry out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global surgical glue market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global surgical glue market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global surgical glue market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global surgical glue market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global surgical glue market. Key players operating in the global surgical glue market have been identified, and each one of them has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOTs are some of the attributes of players in the global surgical glue market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Surgical Glue Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of product companies in the surgical glue and its application sector?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global surgical glue market between 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global surgical glue market?
- Will North America continue to remain the most profitable regional market for surgical glue market providers?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the global surgical glue market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global surgical glue market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global surgical glue market and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global surgical glue market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the surgical glue market as primary sources.
These primary and secondary sources have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from surgical glue market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global surgical glue market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global surgical glue market more reliably and accurately.
Surgical Glue Market – Segmentation