Stroke Treatment Market
Stroke Treatment Market (Type: Ischemic Stroke and Hemorrhagic Stroke; Drug Class: Tissue Plasminogen Activators (tPA), Anticoagulants, Antiplatelets, Anticonvulsants, Others; Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Oral Anticoagulants Help Minimize Risks of Internal Bleeding in Stroke Patients
Healthcare providers are recommending the consumption of non-vitamin K oral anticoagulants over commercially available medications such as Warfarin to reduce the incidence of atrial fibrillation in the stroke treatment market space. These efficacious oral anticoagulants are increasingly catching the attention of consumers and healthcare providers, as they effectively minimize the formation of clots in the blood. This is validated, as the revenue of anticoagulants amongst all drugs in the stroke treatment market is projected to hold the second-highest position, with a value of ~US$ 4.2 billion by 2027.
Oral anticoagulants are serving the convenience of stroke patients, as they can regularize any potential symptoms in home care settings. Thus, new oral anticoagulants are creating incremental opportunities for hospital, retail, and online pharmacies, as users can request for bulk orders at any given time. Healthcare companies in the stroke treatment market are developing improved formulations that make anticoagulants safer and help in reducing the risk of internal bleeding.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Stroke Treatment Market
Lucrative Opportunities in U.S. Catalyze Market Growth
Healthcare companies in the stroke treatment market should increase their focus on drug development in the U.S. Favorable guidelines by health commissions and the well-established healthcare infrastructure of the U.S. are gaining the worldwide attention of stakeholders in the stroke treatment market.
Overall, North America is anticipated to maintain its lead in terms of market share and revenue during the forecast period, with a projected value of ~US$ 6.9 billion by 2027, in the stroke treatment market. Developments in the North American healthcare landscape are creating a ripple effect in the stroke treatment landscape of the U.S.
The introduction of new guidelines by health commissions in the U.S. involves speeding up the procedure of providing thrombolytic therapy to patients suffering from acute ischemic stroke. These guidelines are increasing the convenience of patients, and healthcare providers are gaining credibility in the global stroke treatment market scenario. Healthcare providers in the U.S are aiming to increase speed targets every year. Also, patients are being provided intravenous tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) drugs within minutes of their hospital arrival.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
tPA Drugs Reduce Ischemia Injuries and Improve Neuroplasticity
Tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) drugs accounted for the highest revenue in 2018, with a global value of ~US$ 3.4 billion in the stroke treatment market. Healthcare companies gain monopoly through the sales of tPA drugs, as these are the only therapeutic agents meant to treat patients with acute ischemic stroke that have been approved by health commissions across nations. However, delayed administration of tPA drugs in acute ischemic stroke patients can lead to health complications such as intracranial hemorrhage (ICH), hemorrhagic transformation (HT), and mortality. To overcome this challenge, companies are educating healthcare professionals regarding the administration of tPA drugs within 4.5 hours of a stroke onset. Also, manufacturers are developing new drug agents with improved formulations that help reduce the incidence of ischemia injuries in case of delayed tPA administration.
As such, healthcare companies in the stroke treatment market are increasing the availability of recombinant tissue plasminogen activators (rt-PA) to ease the health complications of acute ischemic stroke patients with their thrombolytic action. Positive clinical trials have compelled healthcare providers to prescribe rt-PA drugs in order to improve neuroplasticity in stroke patients.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Manufacturers in the stroke treatment market are introducing reversal drug agents that minimize the incidence of life-threatening or uncontrolled bleeding in patients. Healthcare providers recommend the consumption of reversal agents in case oral anticoagulants are insufficient to treat stroke patients. Healthcare providers should increase their focus on non-pharmacological options such as percutaneous left atrial appendage occlusion for patients suffering from atrial fibrillation.
Though the market is expected to grow at a healthy CAGR of ~7%, manufacturers are challenged by the limitation of tPA drugs during delayed administration in patients. Hence, they should develop improved formulations of tPA that are efficacious, even after late administration of the drugs.
To contribute towards improving the quality of life in patients, companies should educate healthcare professionals to encourage patients for keeping a tab on weight management, as obesity leads to health complications such as sleep apnea, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, glucose intolerance, and the like.
Global Stroke Treatment Market: Overview
- The global stroke treatment market was valued at ~US$ 8 Bn in 2018.
- Projected to grow at a CAGR of ~7% over the forecast period, the global stroke treatment market is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 15 Bn by the year 2027.
- Rise in the prevalence of stroke across the world, surge in the elderly patient pool, and rapid rise in comorbidities such as atrial fibrillation, diabetes, and hypertension leading to high risk of developing stroke are anticipated to drive the global stroke treatment market during the forecast period.
- North America is the leading regional market in the global stroke treatment market, and will continue to have a major share throughout the forecast period of 2019 to 2027.
- The stroke treatment market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a high CAGR of ~8% during the forecast period.
Global Stroke Treatment Market: Key Segments
- In terms of type, the global stroke treatment market has been classified into ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke. The ischemic stroke segment held a major share of the market in 2018, and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period.
- Based on drug class, the global market has been segmented into tissue plasminogen activators (tPA), anticoagulants, antiplatelets, anticonvulsants, and others. The tissue plasminogen activators (tPA) segment accounted for a majority of the market share in 2018.
- In terms of distribution channel, the global stroke treatment market has been categorized into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. The hospital pharmacies segment held a major share of the global market in 2018, and this trend is expected to continue of the period of forecast.
- The market value and forecasts for each of these segments have been provided from 2017 to 2027. The CAGRs of respective segments have also been provided from 2019 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year.
Global Stroke Treatment Market: Regional Outlook
- In terms of region, the global stroke treatment market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. North America is projected to account for a leading share of the global market during the forecast period, owing to increase in the number of patients suffering from stroke.
- For instance, according to the American Stroke Foundation, around 795,000 people experience a new or recurrent stroke each year in the U.S., which is anticipated to boost the stroke treatment market.
- Favorable funding by governments and charitable trusts for stroke research, prevention, and treatment in the country is likely to drive the market in North America.
- The stroke treatment market in Asia Pacific is projected to grow at a rapid pace in the next few years. India and China are anticipated to be lucrative markets for stroke treatment during the forecast period, owing to the high prevalence of cerebrovascular diseases, unhealthy lifestyle choices such as smoking, poor diets, and high incidence of diabetes and hypertension, which fuel the risk of developing a stroke.
Strategic Collaborations and Innovative Product Launches to Strengthen Market Position
- In August 2017, Sanofi received FDA approval for PLAVIX (clopidogrel bisulfate), an antiplatelet medication used to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- In December 2017, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and Pfizer Alliance, along with the National Stroke Association and iHeartMedia, launched ‘Tune in to AFib, Take Note of Stroke Risk’. This initiative aims to educate and create awareness among people living with atrial fibrillation (AFib) about the increased risk of stroke.
- In April 2016, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company entered into a collaboration with Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. to develop and commercialize BMS-986177, a Factor XIa (FXIa) inhibitor. It is an anticoagulant drug indicated for the prevention and treatment of thrombotic events.
Emerging Economies to be Highly Lucrative Markets for Stroke Treatment
- Emerging economies such as India and China offer significant opportunities in the stroke treatment market.
- Rise in the prevalence and incidence of stroke in developing countries such as India and China, affecting large the elderly patient pool, offers significant opportunity to market players to exploit these untapped regions.
- Patients suffering from atrial fibrillation are at high risk of developing stroke. All these factors will provide significant opportunities to regional players in the market in the near future.
Global Stroke Treatment Market: Key Companies
- Key players in the global stroke treatment market have been profiled based on attributes such as company overview, product portfolio, financial overview, recent developments, and competitive business strategies
- Major companies profiled in the global market report are
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company,
- Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.
- Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche (Genentech)
- Daiichi Sankyo Company, Limited
- Amgen Inc., AstraZeneca
- Biogen Inc.
Stroke Treatment Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global stroke treatment market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the said market for the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall revenue of the global market for the period of 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after extensive research. Primary research involves bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global stroke treatment market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have also employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approach to study various phenomena in the global stroke treatment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global stroke therapy market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global market. The next section of the global stroke treatment report highlights the USPs, which include key industry developments in the global market, pipeline analysis, and epidemiology analysis of stroke.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global stroke treatment market. Key players operating in the global market have been identified, and each one of them has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overviews, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players profiled in the global market report.
Key Questions Answered in Global Stroke Treatment Market Report
- What are the major drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the revenue share projections of key segments of the global market for the forecast period?
- Which segment is likely to lead the market in terms of revenue by 2027?
- How are alliances & partnerships among players widening the scope for stroke treatment?
- What is the market position of different companies operating in the global market?
Stroke Treatment Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global stroke treatment market begins with an overview of the said market, followed by the scope and objectives of this study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study, and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the global market. It is followed by the market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the global market, which includes TMR’s analysis of the market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the growth of the global market. Furthermore, Y-o-Y analysis with elaborate insights have been provided to understand the Y-o-Y trends in the market. The next section of the report highlights the USPs, which include the epidemiology analysis of stroke, pipeline analysis for stroke treatment, and key industry developments in the global market.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to the readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Global Stroke Treatment Market – Segmentation
Tissue Plasminogen Activators (tPA)
Middle East & Africa