Popularity of Strain Gauge Load Cells in Automobile Applications to Uplift Market Growth
These are exciting times to be in the strain gauge load cell market, as the ongoing shift from analog to digital technology holds abundant market opportunities for stakeholders, especially in Europe. The application of strain gauge load cells will be integral to the booming automobile and industrial sectors in the region. As the automobile industry seeks automated processes to achieve better market times, new dimensions to the existing scope of strain gauge load cells will bring in unconceivable opportunities for manufacturers.
Technology, design, and compatibility remain the key competing parameters for manufacturers, meaning, only innovation is constant in this evolving landscape. Extended frontiers of applications for strain gauge load cells will draw new revenue tangents, given the zoomed-in focus of manufacturers towards the convergence of engineering and manufacturing capabilities. This will aid them in catering to the complex design and performance requests of numerous end-use industries.
All-in-all, the strain gauge load cell market will grow steadily to record sales of ~ 6.2 million units in 2019, up to ~ 9.8 million units in 2027. However, this excitement in the strain gauge load cell market is likely to pale, as manufacturers aren’t able to move past the high supply-to-demand ratio of analog strain gauge load cells.
Planning to lay down future strategy? Perfect your plan with our report brochure here
Drumbeat of Digitalization Harbingering a Shift in the Landscape
Analog strain gauge load cells continue to dominate the market, given their cost-effectiveness. Beside the battle of pricing being fought between digital and analog cells, the robust design of analog cells further bolds the line separating them from digital cells. Given the high proclivity of end-use industries for affordability and better designs, analog strain load cells account for a market share of ~ 85 percent. However, accuracy being the key feature of contemporary manufacturing processes, a shift towards digital technology will remain a key highlight of the strain gauge load cell landscape to accentuate automation.
Real-time processing of information is better achieved with digital strain gauge load cells, given their high data sample rates as compared to analog load cells. The use of binary data further ensures the security of digital cells from interference from electromagnetism, radio signals, and temperature. Less susceptibility to signal corruption and faster transmission of data encourages manufacturers to favor the adoption of digital load cells over analog load cells. Currently, digital strain gauge load cells are estimated to record volume sales of ~ 730 thousand units, with a compound annual growth rate of ~ 6 percent during the forecast period.
Force-sensitive Resistor Technology – New Innovation in the Market
The contemporary electronics industry has arrived at a juncture, wherein, grain-sized innovation, in the form of sensors, capacitors, and resistors, adds massive value to conventional devices. Similarly, force-sensing resistor (FRS) technology is the innovation in strain gauge load cells that offers excellent property to alter the resistance based on the force applied to the surface.
Strain gauge load cells developed using FRS technology are gaining traction, as the thin size of electronic components that is less than 0.5 mm remains desirable for the development of testing devices and equipment for the aerospace, defense, and automobile sectors. Besides being compact in nature, these cells come at an affordable price and offer good shock resistance, which have been popularizing the integration of FRS technology for the development of strain gauge load cells.
With connected things and devices, already being the envisioned future of healthcare and defense industries, strain gauge load cells embedded with FSR technology unlock new avenues to wirelessly communicate with other devices and facilitate various functionalities with minimal human intervention.
Want to know the obstructions to your company’s growth in future? Request a PDF sample here
Europe’s Lead in the Automotive Sector to Reflect its Hold on the Global Strain Gauge Load Cell Market
The performance of the automobile industry in Europe has reflected on its strong hold on the global strain gauge load cell market. With electric vehicles making high inroads in the region, and autonomous vehicles being the very future of automobile and transportation industries, the concentration of leading automakers and their zest to leap quality norms are leading to the high adoption of strain gauge load cells for testing and qualifying vehicles. Since the automotive industry harnesses the prowess of numerous force transducers and torque meters to ensure the smooth functioning of vehicles, strain gauge load cells are heavily employed for varied applications, including, but not confined to, fatigue tests, crash tests, and shock absorber tests.
Currently, Europe accounts for ~ 30 percent of the global strain gauge load cell market, and is projected to move to a higher value at a compound annual growth rate of ~ 4% during the forecast period. However, the growth of the strain gauge load cell market in parallel to the growth of the automotive industry will also reflect in Asia Pacific. Given the high manufacturing and automotive ability of China and Japan, the strain gauge load cell market is likely to witness exponential improvements in its sales in the Asia Pacific region.
Looking for exclusive market insights from business experts? Request a Custom Report here
Winning Players of the Strain Gauge Load Cell Market Bank Big on 'Customization'
Existing players in the strain gauge load cell market have strong exposure in oversea territories, i.e. high reliance of consumers on their products. This has significantly impacted the width of the entry passage for new entrants. In addition, winning teams have already embraced digital technologies in order to stay ahead of the competition curve.
With the evolution of contemporary end-use businesses, these players resort to research and development activities for the development of customized strain gauge load cells, with prime focus on the technology, features, designs, and compatibility of these cells. Anyload Weigh & Measure Inc., a key market player, focuses on customer-centric products, and in February 2019, announced the launch of the ANYLOAD TMA-108B Compression Test Mount Device for testing and ensuring the working of devices as per requirements. Another significant player - Hottinger Baldwin Messtechnik GmbH, introduced a compact-sized SP8 single-point load cell for dynamic weighing applications.
Besides the enhancement of product portfolio, merger and acquisition activities have also been a regular feature in the strain gauge load cell market. However, these strategies are mostly followed by leading and prominent players. Though the highly competitive landscape leaves very little room for emerging market players, they can focus more toward improving the performance of strain gauge load cells to score big over leading players in the market. Staying abreast with technological reforms can further pave the way towards a higher market share, given the evolutionary nature of the landscape.
Strain Gauge Load Cell: Definition/Overview
- A load cell is defined as a transducer that converts an input mechanical force into an output electric signal. A load cell is a type of force sensor that, when connected to appropriate electronics, returns a signal proportional to the mechanical force applied to the system. Load cells are primarily based on strain gauges.
- Load cells convert force or weight acting on them into an electric signal. The electric signal can be a frequency change or voltage change, depending upon the type and circuit used in the load cell.
- Strain gauge load cells are used in medical devices such as hemodialysis machines, infusion pumps, and surgical instruments. In the aerospace & defense sector, load cells are used for the testing of airframes, engines, pilot force input, landing gear, wheels, doors and breaking systems, flight decks, cargo systems, and throttle controls. Load cells are also used in the in-flight refueling aircraft. Load cells are employed in oil rigs, engine systems of military ground vehicles, bulk material handling equipment, weight checking machines, and elevators.
Global Strain Gauge Load Cell Market: Regional Overview
- The strain gauge load cell markets in different regions across the world are undergoing diverse phases. North America and Europe are mature regions of the global strain gauge load cell market, due to the presence of major end-use industries in these regions.
- On the other hand, developing countries in Asia Pacific and the Middle East & Africa, which are undergoing modernization and adopting industrial automation, are witnessing increase in the demand for strain gauge load cells.
- This, in turn, is driving the global strain gauge load cell market.
Global Strain Gauge Load Cell Market: Trends
- Embedded force-sensitive resistor (FSR) technology is becoming popular, owing to its various advantages. Embedded FSRs are ultra-thin and flexible-force sensors consisting of semi-conductive material placed between two pieces of thin polyester.
- FSRs are cost-efficient alternatives for other types of force sensors, owing to their ability to function on a simple circuitry. FSRs can be produced in single-point or matrix forms, with the ability to capture force or pressure measured in the predefined area as per the required design.
Global Strain Gauge Load Cell Market: Key Segments
The global strain gauge load cell market has been segmented based on technology, type, end-use industry, and region.
- In terms of technology, the global strain gauge load cell market has been segregated into digital and analog.
- Analog was the dominant segment of the global strain gauge load cell market in 2018.
- The demand of digital load cells is expected to surge during the forecast period, owing to their high data processing rate and high precise and accuracy. However, analog load cells are cost effective. Their robust design and superior functionalities prompt end users to opt for analog load cells.
- Based on type, the global strain gauge load cell market has been segmented into single-point load cells, bending-beam load cells, shear-beam load cells, S-type load cells, compression load cells, and others.
- Bending-beam strain gauge load cells are expensive, but they are compact, versatile devices that can easily fit into tight spots. These cells are commonly used in commercial measurement applications and industrial weighing applications. Thus, the bending-beam load cells segment is expected to dominate the global strain gauge load cell market during the forecast period.
- End-use industry:
- In terms of end-user industry, the global strain gauge load cell market has been classified into medical, industrial, agriculture, automotive & transportation, aerospace & defense, and others.
- The industrial segment is expected to dominate the global strain gauge load cell market during the forecast period, owing to the high demand for strain gauge load cells required for use in load-bearing industrial applications, including industrial scales, platform scales, and universal testing machines.
- Automotive & transportation is the most rapidly expanding end-use industry segment of the global market for strain gauge load cells, followed by the medical segment.
Global Strain Gauge Load Cell Market: Competition Dynamics
- Attracted by the growth of the market and the underlying latent demand for strain gauge load cells, several players operating in the global strain gauge load cell market are expanding their business through new product development, strategic mergers and acquisitions, and partnerships.
- Some of the prominent players operating in the global strain gauge load cell market are
- Flintec Group AB, Dytran Instruments, Inc.
- OMEGA Engineering, Inc.
- Futek Advanced Sensor Technologies
- Kistler Group
- Anyload Weigh & Measure Inc.
- Vishay Precision Group
- Hottinger Baldwin Messtechnik GmbH
- Tecnicas De Electronica Y Automatismos Sa (UTILCELL)
- Thames Side Sensors Ltd.
- Siemens AG
- NMB Technologies Corporation.
Strain Gauge Load Cell Market - Scope of the Report
[196 Pages Report] Transparency Market Research (TMR) examined the enormous growth potential of the strain gauge load cell market, in its recently published research report, and found some rare insights for stakeholders to sustain their position and move to a higher market share. Information compiled in the strain gauge load cell market offers distinguished insights regarding the growth of the strain gauge load cell market, and uncovers underlying opportunities for market players. With the help of the exclusive information covered in the research report, stakeholders operating in the strain gauge load cell market will be able to devise better plans for their business advancement.
This exclusive research report offers a comprehensive outlook regarding the changing dynamics of the strain gauge load cell market during the forecast period of 2019-2027. This detailed guide uncovers information about the crucial drivers, opportunities, threats, and restraints present in the market, so as to aid stakeholders of the strain gauge load cell market with crucial insights. This comprehensive guide also encompasses a detailed SWOT assessment of the leading, prominent, and emerging market players operating in the strain gauge load cell market over the course of the forecast period. This will, in turn, aid stakeholders in gaining an incisive outlook on the growth of the strain gauge load cell market.
This exclusive study analyzes and involves Porter’s Five Forces assessment, with an aim to provide the key growth strategies and latent opportunities available in the strain gauge load cell market during the forecast period. This comprehensive market study provides key information pertaining to the key competitors in the strain gauge load cell market. This guide offers key insights into the strain gauge load cell market, along with their key strategies, financials, and notable developments that can help stakeholders in evaluating significant insights into the strain gauge load cell market during the forecast period of 2019-2027. Assessment strain gauge load cell market has been conducted in terms of value (US$ Mn) and volume (Thousand Units).
Strain Gauge Load Cell Market - Key Questions Answered
This comprehensive research report analysis and addresses key questions surrounding the growth of the strain gauge load cell market during the forecast period of 2019-2027. Some of the key questions answered in the research report are as mentioned below:
- What are the key developments expected to take place in the strain gauge load cell market over the course of the forecast period?
- What are the key winning strategies of leading and emerging players operating in the strain gauge load cell market?
- What are the key trends prodding the growth of the strain gauge load cell market?
- Which end-use industry will hold lucrative opportunities for the strain gauge load cell market?
Strain Gauge Load Cell Market - Research Methodology
The research undertaken by Transparency Market Research analysts involves a systematic approach to cull crucial insights and strategies by using both, primary as well as secondary research methodologies. Discussions with key opinion leaders, market heads, industry experts, vendors, and distributors were carried out to conduct primary research. This helps in analyzing the demand-supply gap available in the strain gauge load cell market during the forecast period.
Marketing collaterals, company websites, industry associations, and government statistics were referred to for conducting secondary research. Information culled through primary and secondary research is then validated with the help of the data triangulation method to eliminate any redundancy.
Strain Gauge Load Cell Market - Segmentation
With a view to present a macroscopic as well as microscopic outlook of the strain gauge load cell market, researchers and analysts of the report have bifurcated the strain gauge load cell market into key sections for stakeholders to gauge the growth of the market. Key segments of the strain gauge load cell market are technology, type, end-use industry, and region. This comprehensive global study also analysis the incremental opportunity present in the strain gauge load cell market during the forecast period. The segments of the strain gauge load cell market are as mentioned below:
Single Point Load Cells
Bending Beam Load Cells
Shear Beam Load Cells
S-Type Load Cells
Compression Load Cells
Automotive & Transportation
Aerospace & Defense
Middle East and Africa