Starch Market (Source: Corn, Wheat, Potato, Tapioca, and Others; Type: Modified and Native; and Application: Food Industry, Industrial, and Pharmaceuticals) – MEA Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020-2030
Press Release :
Rise in R&D Activities to Widen Applications, Drive Demand for Starch
For several decades, starch has remained one of the most vital food products and biomaterial that is extensively used across the world in a range of applications. Although the demand for starch is notably higher from the food industry, due to research and development, starch is increasingly being used across other industrial domains, including textile, paper, chemicals, agriculture, construction engineering, and healthcare. The starch obtained from corn accounts for the majority of the global production of starch. In several regions of the world, maize starch is a vital ingredient that is used in the production of various food products such as a thickener, stabilizer, water retention agent, and colloidal gelling agent. This factor is expected to drive the MEA starch market during the forecast period.
Market players involved in the MEA starch market are expected to focus on procuring starch from non-conventional sources, such as potato tubers and tuber roots to improve added-value food product development. Furthermore, a number of players involved in the current starch market landscape are increasingly focusing on improving the functional properties of starch including texture, thermal stability, viscosity, and solubility to enhance the quality of their products. The expanding applicability of starch has paved the way for additional research and development to gain knowledge on non-conventional sources of starch. Research and development activities pertaining to the linkage between functional and structural properties of starch are likely to open up new potential industrial applications. Thus, the MEA starch market is projected to witness steady growth during the forecast period.
At the back of these factors, the MEA starch market is on the course to surpass the market value of US$ 2.7 Bn by the end of 2030.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Starch Market
Evolving Consumer Preferences to Influence Market Growth
Due to the weak structural properties of starch, modified starch has garnered immense popularity in the Middle East & Africa region. In addition, the increasing focus on upgrading food manufacturing technologies coupled with the growing awareness pertaining to the benefits of modified starch has led to a rise in the demand for modified starch. Evolving consumer preferences is expected to have a strong impact on the growth prospects of the MEA starch market. The increasing demand for clean label food products is anticipated to have a direct impact on the MEA starch market. As consumers in several nations across the MEA region are increasingly inclining toward a healthier lifestyle, the demand for starch as well as modified starch is anticipated to decline toward the second half of the forecast period.
Market Players Focus on Expanding Production Capacities to Gain Advantage
Several prominent players involved in the current MEA starch market are expected to focus on investing resources toward the expansion of their factories. In addition, efforts are likely to be made to improve the existing production infrastructure to cater to niche consumer demands. For instance, in January 2018, Arabian Agricultural Service Company (ARASCO), in collaboration with Cargill, announced the launch of a new corn mill in Saudi Arabia– a move that will enable the company to address the growing demand for starch from the food & beverages sector.
In April 2018, a new starch factory was inaugurated in Oman in the country’s Sohar Industrial Zone– a move that is projected to augment the production of starch, one of the key products that is used in the oil industry. Market players involved in the current MEA starch market are inclined toward minimizing the import of starch products and become self-sufficient due to which, expansion activities of manufacturing plants have increased in recent years.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
COVID-19 Pandemic Impact Starch Market Negatively
The COVID-19 pandemic is expected to a strong impact on the overall supply chain of the starch market in the MEA. Due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the industrial sector around various nations in the Middle East was temporarily shut due to stringent lockdown measures. Furthermore, restrictions on transportation and cross-border trade affected supply chain of the starch market in 2020. The declining demand for starch from various end-use industries led to a decline in the demand for starch. However, the market is expected to show signs of recovery toward the last quarter of 2020, as trade and transportation restrictions in various areas have been lifted.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Starch Market
The MEA starch market is expected to expand at a moderate CAGR of 4.7% during the forecast period. The market growth is primarily influenced by evolving consumer preferences, research and development activities, and growing awareness pertaining to the advantages of starch. In addition, as market players in the MEA region continue to focus on expanding their production prowess to cater to the demand for starch from various end-use sectors, the overall prospects of the MEA starch market point toward a steady growth during the forecast period.
MEA Starch Market: Overview
- The global MEA Starch market is estimated to value over US$ 1.7 Bn in 2020, finds Transparency Market Research (TMR) in a recent study. According to the report, the market is expected to cross US$ 2.7 Bn by 2030, at a CAGR of 4.7% during the forecast period
- Fostering sales of packaged foods, baked goods, and convinced food consumables boost food industry. Consumers have shown a propensity toward alluring confectionery and bakery products. Shining surfaces, moist texture, and great flavors of cakes or pastries are attracting more consumers all over the world.
- Starches can be very versatile in the production of such delicious and artisan food products. Starch and its derivatives have become a real blessing for gelled candies, fondants, taffy, marshmallows, fudges, and such many more goods.
- Functional properties of starch benefit in retaining moisture, mimic as fat for the confectionery fillings, replacing gluten in gluten-free products, and enhancing texture, stability, and shelf life
MEA Starch: Market Frontrunners
- Based on type, native starch is estimated to hold the highest market share of 55.1% in 2020, while modified starch is anticipated to grow at value CAGR of 5.5% during the forecast period
- Tapioca starch dominates the Middle East & Africa starch market in terms of volume, owing to the highest production of cassava in the African region
- Food industry holds the largest share of the Middle East and Africa starch market on the back of increasing applications of native starches in bakery products, and meat and seafood products
- Industrial segment is anticipated to have the highest growth rate of 5.1%, owing to the increasing applications of starch in chemical and papermaking industries due to its gummy texture
MEA Starch Market: Trends
- Innovation and evolving customer needs: The market is estimated to grow in the next five years in the Middle East and North Africa. In more mature markets such as Turkey or the Gulf countries premiumization, and growing number of young urbanized professionals interested in global food trends and brands are expected to shape the MEA starch market. Leading applications of starch in the food industry are as a thickening or stabilizing agent for the preparation of breads, soups, puddings, pies, soy, meat products, and sauces. Manufacturing of vermicelli, ice cream biscuits, instant noodles, sago, and chocolates also involves addition of starches. The demand for starch is increasing with altering consumer preference from fresh roots to nonperishable, processed, and value-added food products.
- The bakery industry is one the emerging industries in the market. In MEA, developing African countries witnessing significant penetration for baked food products. Accelerating consumer preference for packaged goods, owing to the influence of Western culture, boosts the demand for baked goods and convenience food products. Thus, starch manufacturers are focusing on targeting bakery and convenience food manufacturers to gain significant market share in the MEA starch market.
- Apart from the food industry, starch finds non-food applications in a range of industries, including adhesive, paper, and pharmaceutical. Thus, significant penetration of food brands across the region and significance of food and pulp application in the starch market are supporting the growth of MEA starch market.
MEA Starch Capitalize on Flagship Application – Pulp
- Immense popularity of facial tissue throughout MEA, especially in Gulf countries, will play a crucial role in boosting the consumption of starch for pulp manufacturing. Consumers consider facial tissues as a necessity, which forces manufacturers to improve in terms of production as well as quality. Hygiene and related products are increasing during pandemic. Tissue products constitute a tremendously growing group of pulp-based consumables. Tissue papers, hand towels, toilet papers, wet tissues, paper handkerchiefs, and baby wipes will continue to witness robust demand throughout the year.
- MEA is likely to emerge as significant consumer of this product group. The eroded pulp demand during COVID-19 from industries, such as packaging, personal care and hygiene, and paper making positively impact the starch market across MEA .
MEA Starch Market: Strategies
- Key players are focused on business-to-business transactions by launching products to help peers and partners. Company have launched coating starch to reduce the production cost for customers from the paper industry and increase sustainability.
- Companies are mainly focusing on providing neutral-flavored, gluten-free, non-GMO, and nutritious ancient grain starches. They are been engaged in activities to provide ‘clean label’ tapioca starches. Companies such as Archer Daniels Midland Company are focusing on offering best products to consumers. They are collaborating with other firms for widening base of operations and adding new products to their product portfolio.
MEA Starch Market: Players
- Some of the key actors including producers, cultivators, and brands operating in the MEA starch market, as profiled in the study, are
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Ingredion Incorporated
- Tate & Lyle PLC
- Roquette Frères S. A.
- AGRANA Beteiligungs-AG
- Grain Processing Corporation
- Beneo GmbH
- MGP Ingredients, Inc.
- Thai Flour Industry Limited
- Manildra Group
- Gulshan Polyols Ltd
- Vimal PPCE, among others
MEA Starch Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research (TMR) has recently published a market study on the MEA starch market. It provides a detailed assessment of key market dynamics, including the drivers, trends, opportunities & restraints, and detailed information about the MEA starch market structure. The market study presents exclusive information about how the MEA starch market will grow during the forecast period of 2020-2030.
Key indicators of market growth, which include year-on-year (Y-o-Y) growth of the market, value chain, supply chain analysis, and compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) are elaborated in the study in a comprehensive manner. This information is intended to help readers understand the quantitative growth prospects of the MEA starch market during the forecast period.
The study is intended to offer a holistic market overview to stakeholders in the MEA starch, including manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, cultivators, brands and investors, and to help them develop winning growth strategies. Stakeholders in the MEA starch market, which include investors, industry experts, researchers, and journalists, and business researchers, can leverage the information and data presented in TMR’s study.
The study also includes statistics and facts related to the macro as well as microeconomic factors that are impacting the expansion of the market. It also offers actionable insights into the future trends in the MEA starch market. Furthermore, small businesses and new entrants in the MEA starch market can make use of the information presented in this study based on which, they can make appropriate business decisions in order to gain momentum in the market.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s MEA Starch Market Report
- Which region will continue to remain the most profitable regional market for MEA starch market players?
- Which factors will induce a change in the demand for MEA starch during the assessment period?
- How will the changing trends impact the MEA starch market?
- How can market players capitalize on the low-hanging opportunities in the MEA starch market in developed regions?
- Which companies are leading the MEA starch market?
- What are the winning strategies of stakeholders in the MEA starch market to catapult their position at the forefront?
MEA Starch Market: Research Methodology
In TMR’s study, a unique research methodology has been used to conduct extensive research on the growth of the MEA starch market and identify future growth parameters. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research to help analysts ensure the accuracy and reliability of the conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts for compiling the MEA starch market study include statistics from governmental organizations, trade journals, white papers, and internal and external proprietary databases. Analysts have interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, marketing/product managers, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the development of this report as a primary source.
Information acquired from primary and secondary sources has been compiled in a comprehensive manner. This also acts as a validation from companies in the MEA starch market, which makes TMR’s projections more accurate and reliable.
Key Segments of MEA Starch Market
TMR’s study on the MEA starch market offers information divided into important segments — source, type, application, and country. This report offers comprehensive data and information about the important market dynamics and growth parameters associated with these categories.