Sports Medicine Market: Introduction
- Sports medicine, also called sports & exercise medicine, is a specialty, which helps in the management and treatment of sports and exercise-related injuries. Sports medicine professionals and specialists treat various physical conditions such as fractures, sprains, strains, chronic injuries, exercise injuries, and other advanced sports injuries.
- Physical therapists, certified athletic trainers, and nutritionists are specialists that provide sports medicine to an increasing number of patients. Common injuries such as concussions, tendonitis, ankle injuries, hip injuries, wrist injuries, elbow injuries, and others have driven the need of sports medicine. Various sports or exercise related injuries do not need surgeries, but innovative devices and technologies could offer effective treatment and management of musculoskeletal conditions.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Sports Medicine Market
- Rise in sports-related injuries is projected to be a major driver of the global sports medicine market during the forecast period. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services studies, 8.6 million sports injuries are recorded every year in the country. According to various researches, 2 million athletes in high school experience injuries, with 30,000 hospitalization, every year across the globe.
- Rise in popularity of organized sports and the ongoing trend of exercise and fitness regime are likely to propel the global sports medicine market. According to the CDC, major sports injuries in the children are preventable. Moreover, awareness about sports medicine and emergence of innovative treatment for sports injuries in developing countries are expected to boost the growth of the global market in next few years.
North America to Dominate Global Sports Medicine Market
- North America dominated the global sports medicine market followed by Europe and Asia Pacific. Increase in incidence of sports injuries in the U.S., availability of sports medicine, and presence of various key players offering sports medicines are the key factors propelling the market in North America. According to research, in the U.S., around 30 million children and teens participate in sports, and nearly 3.5 million injuries occur every year. One third of sports injuries occur in childhood. These factors are likely to fuel the growth of the sports medicine market in the region.
- According to the National SAFE KIDS Campaign and the American Academy of Pediatrics statistics, around 21% of trauma injuries are caused by sports & recreational activities. Moreover, 50% of head injuries occur during skateboarding, skating incidents, and bicycling. Furthermore, 62% of major sports-related injuries occur during sports and training practice. These factors are projected to drive the demand for sports medicine during the forecast period.
- The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to rise in prevalence of sports injuries, accidents, and recreational activities. Moreover, surge in number of sports medicine professionals including physicians and practitioners is expected to augment the sports medicine market in the region during the forecast period.
Key Companies of Sports Medicine Market
- Carestream Health
- Include Health, Inc.
- iTrace Biomedical, Inc.
- Kator LLC
- MTF Biologics
- ConMed Corporation
- PolyPhysics, Inc.
- Quadrant Biosciences
- DJO Global
- Zimmer Biomet
- RTI Surgical
- Smith & Nephew
- Other prominent players
Global Sports Medicine Market, Research Scope
Global Sports Medicine Market, by Product Type
- Body Reconstruction Products
- Body Support & Recovery products
- Rehabilitation Technologies
- Sport Concussion Assessment Tool
- Osteopathic Manipulation
Global Sports Medicine Market, by Technology
- Cone Beam CT (CBCT)
- Functional Assessment Tools
Global Sports Medicine Market, by Indication
- Ankle Sprain
- Knee & Shoulder Injury
- Elbow & Wrist Injury
- Cartilage Injury
- Overtraining Syndrome
Global Sports Medicine Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospitals Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
Global Sports Medicine Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa