SLES Market: Emphasis on Cleanliness and Personal Hygiene to Generate Significant Demand from Application Sectors
Rising consumer awareness about cleanliness and personal hygiene has brought products such as detergents and surfactants in the spotlight. Moreover, the health benefits of residential and institutional cleanliness are further expected to create massive demand for anionic surfactants such as sodium lauryl ether sulfate in the coming years. Sodium lauryl ether sulfate is gaining immense usability, owing to its good solvency, wide compatibility, thickening effect, high biodegradable, and anti-hard water ability. Moreover, its exceptional emulsification, decontamination, dispersion, solubilizing performance, and foaming attributes are bolstering its applicability in hand washing, shampoos, bubble bath liquids, and more.
Transparency Market Research (TMR), in its recent publication on the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market, uncovers the essentials of the industry, with focus on indications showcasing the developments in the market. The study states that, the high rate of commercialization of personal care products, coupled with the growing trend of hygiene and cleanliness is likely to have a positive influence on the overall sodium lauryl ether sulfate market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
Key Milestones in the Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate Market
The science of surfactants is rapidly evolving with their wide application across different industries. The earliest registered evidence of the production of soap-like materials dates back to ancient Babylon, around 2800 BC. Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) has been used as an ingredient in shampoos since the 1930s, when it was launched as a soap alternative. Ever since, SLS, along with SLES, remain vital ingredients in these products.
The demands of the laundry cleaning market have considerably played a vital role in shaping the changes that have occurred in surfactant technology over the past decades. Laundry detergents have a very strong influence on the surfactant industry, further driving profitability of the market for surfactants such as sodium lauryl ether sulfate. The sodium lauryl ether sulfate market is likely to be valued at ~US$ 1.2 Bn in 2019, owing to the increasing consumer demand for detergents and personal care products.
Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate Market: Impact of Undercurrents
Rising Demand for Personal Care Products
Increasing commercialization of personal care products such as soaps, shampoos, body & face cleansers, etc., is majorly witnessed around the world, having a positive impact on the global SLES market. Personal care product providers are adjusting their product lines to house baby boomers and incoming millennials, with an emphasis on developing targeted products.
Liquid Detergents Gain Major Applicability
The unique properties of sodium lauryl ether sulfate and its ease of formulation and production, coupled with its compatibility with all other types of surfactants has made SLES one of the most preferred primary surfactant for liquid detergents. Excellent cleaning properties and ease of application are driving the popularity of liquid detergents across the global market, further banking on the rising number of laundry services, particularly in developed countries, thus resulting in fruitful opportunities for the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market.
Although, the economical and easy availability, and good foaming attributes of sodium lauryl ether sulfate push industry growth, certain factors are likely to impede market expansion. One such factor is the harmful effects of sodium lauryl ether sulfate on humans. According to certain globally recognized organizations, prolonged exposure to these chemicals may cause skin and eye irritation. Health risks related to sodium lauryl ether sulfate might lead to the substitution of the product by bio-based or organic ingredients in developed nations. The introduction of SLES-free personal care products is also likely to be witnessed.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the “Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate” market? Ask for the report brochure here
SLES Market - Success Strategies Catalyzing Growth
Improving Production Capabilities
The bolstering demand for sodium lauryl ether sulfate on account of its growing applicability has compelled manufacturers to expand their production capabilities in order to maintain a demand-supply balance. As major opportunities are cited across developing countries, new production capacities are being established across these economies. Some stakeholders also consider acquiring previously established production facilities of competitors to expand their business in lucrative regions.
Introducing Plant-based Variants
With its extensive applicability in the beauty and cosmetics industry, the consumer preference for natural and plant-based ingredients in cosmetic products remains the focal point. Key players in the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market are positioning plant-based SLES as petrochemical-free and preservative-free SLES, in an attempt to build a product profile that focuses on substantial emission reduction. Companies are able to capture a sizable consumer base by introducing plant-based variants.
Concentrating R&D Efforts on Developing New Products
Although sodium lauryl ether sulfate applicability remains robust, manufacturers continue to battle hindrance on account of its side effects on humans. This has centered focus on incorporating a bio-based method to produce sodium lauryl ether sulfate that lowers the toxicity of these products. With the establishment of newer R&D centers, companies aim to introduce new products that address changing consumer requirements.
SELS Market - Analysis of the Competitive Landscape
In 2019, BASF announced a strategic alliance with siHealth Ltd, a U.K.-based emerging firm in the healthcare sector, which includes an equity investment. This alliance would allow the former to exclusively market optronic and scientifically-based satellite technologies to the global personal care industry.
In 2018, Huntsman Corporation announced the acquisition of Demilec, a North America-based manufacturer and distributor of spray polyurethane foam insulation systems for residential and commercial applications, from an affiliate of Sun Capital Partners, Inc.
The global sodium lauryl ether sulfate market is highly fragmented, with a number of global and local players. Key companies have recognized the shifting consumer trends toward hygiene and cleanliness, and have consequently expanded their product portfolios to target a wider customer base. In addition, sodium lauryl ether sulfate market competitors focus on boosting their R&D activities in a bid to introduce a notable range of innovative products. Another significant strategy implemented by leading sodium lauryl ether sulfate market players includes strengthening their production landscape, particularly in Asia Pacific countries that continue to create significant demand for sodium lauryl ether sulfate surfactants.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on “Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate Market” here
Analysts’ Perspective of the SLES Market
The increasing requirement of surfactants for the production of soaps and detergents has driven the growth of the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market. On account of such a scenario, TMR analysts have a positive perspective of the SLES market. Low entry barriers for new market entrants, owing to easy availability of raw materials and low initial investments, are resulting in a number of new players entering the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market. The market, therefore, reflects growth prospects for new comers. The highly fragmented nature of the market has propelled market players to introduce innovative products that help battle against the high competition. New SLES market entrants could consider investments in research and development activities that support new product development. Asia Pacific remains a promising region for sodium lauryl ether sulfate market players. Asia Pacific countries took the lead in terms of production and consumption of sodium lauryl ether sulfate in 2018, on account of robust opportunities held particularly by China and India.
Rise in Demand for Laundry Detergents to Boost SLES Market
- The global laundry detergent industry has been expanding in sync with global GDP. In terms of value, the global laundry detergent market expanded at a CAGR of 2.9% from 2013 to 2018, to reach US$ 72 Bn in 2018.
- Significant increase in disposable income and improvement in lifestyles, primarily in developing economies, have boosted the demand for detergents and washing machines across the globe.
- SLES has surface-reactive properties that can be altered as per the requirement of the application. Therefore, sodium lauryl ether sulfate is employed in a broad spectrum of applications such as detergents and cleaners. Sodium lauryl ether sulfate can also be used in anionic surfactants with superior properties such as high foam forming and detergency, water solubility, better chemical compatibility, and stability over a wide pH range.
- SLES is the preferred anionic surfactant, considering its cost effectiveness and ease of manufacturing. Thus, growth in the laundry detergent industry is anticipated to fuel the demand for sodium lauryl ether sulfate.
Global Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES) Market: Highlights
- In terms of value, the global sodium lauryl ether sulfate market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~4% to reach ~US$ 1.8 Bn by 2027.
- Rise in the demand for detergents, cleaners, and personal care products; increase in awareness about personal hygiene; and growth in the demand for liquid detergents across the globe have augmented the demand for detergents and safe personal care products.
- Asia Pacific was the leading region of the global sodium lauryl ether sulfate market in 2018. The SLES market in the region is expected to exhibit a significant CAGR between 2019 and 2027.
- Key players operating in the global sodium lauryl ether sulfate market are positioning plant-based SLES or vegetable-based SLES by highlighting the eco-friendly surfactant production process with more than 25% reduction in greenhouse emissions as compared to the conventional SLES production process.
Demand for SLES to Increase in Detergents & Cleaners
- Based on application, detergents & cleaners and personal care were highly lucrative segments of the global sodium lauryl ether sulfate market in 2018.
- Increase in the consumption of cleaning products such as detergents, dishwashing powders, and industrial cleaners is expected to fuel the detergents & cleaners segment in the near future.
- Significant opportunities for the detergents & cleaners segment can be ascribed to the rise in the demand for liquid detergents with higher detergency and ease of application.
Dry SLES Form to Dominate Market
- Based on from, the dry segment held a major share of the global sodium lauryl ether sulfate market in terms of value in 2018. The dry segment includes granular, powder, and paste forms of SLES.
- Dry SLES, such as those in the paste and needle forms, are employed in the manufacturing of various personal care products such as toothpastes, liquid soaps, hair shampoos, creams & lotions, foam baths, and toilet bars.
- The dry form of SLES is popular in developing countries, owing to its low price and ease of transportation. Rapid increase in the demand for sodium lauryl ether sulfate in developing countries is boosting the attractiveness of the dry segment.
Asia Pacific Estimated to Remain Prominent Region
- In terms of value and volume, Asia Pacific constituted a prominent share of the global SLES market in 2018. The key share of the market can be ascribed to the increase in the demand for personal care products such as cosmetics and hair care products, and detergents and cleaner products, primarily laundry detergents, among consumers.
- Expansion of end-use industries such as laundry detergents and cosmetics in the region can be ascribed to the rise in the population and increase in disposable income, primarily in the developing economies of China, India, and Indonesia. Furthermore, growth in awareness about personal hygiene is fueling the demand for efficient personal care products. This, in turn, is positively impacting the demand for sodium lauryl ether sulfate in Asia Pacific.
- The sodium lauryl ether sulfate market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. North America and Europe also held key shares of the global SLES market in 2018. The sodium lauryl ether sulfate markets in these regions are estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Global Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES) Market: Competitive Landscape
- The report comprises detailed profiles of the major players operating in the SLES market. The report also consists of a matrix comparison of the top four players operating in the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market, along with their market share analysis and application mapping for 2018.
- Prominent players operating in the global SLES market are
- Huntsman International LLC
- BASF SE
- Kao Corporation
- Evonik Industries AG
- Stepan Company
- Taiwan NJC CORPORATION
- Galaxy Surfactants Ltd.
- Quimicos del Cauca S.A.S.
- Croda International Plc
- Godrej Industries Limited
- The global sodium lauryl ether sulfate market is fragmented due to the presence of a large numbers of global and local players. Major players are focusing on the development of bio-based surfactants to cater to the rising demand for eco-friendly products, due to the increase in the awareness about the harmful effects of synthetic products on human health and the environment, among end users.
TMR’s recent report on the sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES) market offers readers a holistic market overview with the help of comprehensive analysis of the global market scenario. The TMR study on the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market evaluates the market with respect to the historical and current market scenario, and provides a forecast for the period of 2019-2027. Readers are able to make long-term business decisions with the help of key findings and exclusive sodium lauryl ether sulfate market insights included in the report. This report also provides an assessment of the key SLES market dynamics that are likely to impact the market in the near future. The study offers a detailed understanding of the key industry trends and developments made by SLES market players. The publication is bifurcated into vital sections that allows readers to gain an individual understanding of the market.
Key Questions Answered in the Report
- How much value will the SLES market hold in the coming five years?
- Which factors are likely to influence the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market by 2027?
- Which geographies hold growth potential for SLES business?
- What are the key challenges that sodium lauryl ether sulfate market players could face over the coming years?
- Which sodium lauryl ether sulfate form type is likely to remain a sought-after variant in 2020?
The first chapter in the study on the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market includes a preface that provides a brief market overview, including definition and scope of the market. This section discusses the key research objectives and highlights, which allow readers to gain a concise market understanding. Following this section is the executive summary that sheds light on the SLES market aspects covered in the report. The next chapter in the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market report is the market overview that offers a glimpse of the market in terms of key sodium lauryl ether sulfate market dynamics such as drivers, opportunistic avenues, and restraining factors.
The next section provides an outlook of the global sodium lauryl ether sulfate market analysis and forecast in terms of volume and value. Following this overview is the market outlook in terms of the regulatory scenario in different regions, along with value chain analysis and Porter’s Five Forces analysis. Following this is a detailed segmentation analysis of the SLES market. Evaluation includes the bifurcation on the basis of form, application, and region. The evaluation of key segments in the sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES) market, and inclusion of year-on-year growth projections, along with basis point share analysis, further helps clients identify lucrative avenues.
The TMR study on the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market offers an evaluation of the regional landscape of the market. Regional assessment helps market players make strategic decisions pertaining to their expansion ideas and investments. The segment-wise and country-level assessment of individual regions helps readers of the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market study to evaluate the potential of the market. Backed by year-on-year growth projections and global value and volume share, this section is a crucial part of the report on the sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES) market.
The report on the SLES market offers a detailed competitive assessment providing details of leading market players. This sections highlights the nature of the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market with the help of the market share held by the players. The unique dashboard view of the competitors in the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market allows readers to understand the strategies implemented by players and their performance in the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market, featuring focus areas of the SLES market players. The competitive structure of prominent players in the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market is also covered in the study.
The TMR study on the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market is based on a detailed assessment of the market, including comprehensive primary and secondary research. The thorough evaluation of the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market in terms of competitive landscape is backed by individual-level analysis of various aspects pertaining to the market. An analysis of the historical and current market for sodium lauryl ether sulfate, focusing on key market segments, major regions, growth drivers, along with other qualitative inputs, helps TMR analysts derive crucial predictions and forecast analysis for the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market. Readers can access the sodium lauryl ether sulfate market report to gain a forecasted market assessment for the period of 2019–2027.
Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES) Market: Taxonomy
Detergents & Cleaners
Textiles & Leather
Middle East & Africa