SLS, SLES and LAS Market
SLS, SLES and LAS Market (Product: SLS (SLS Dry and SLS Liquid), SLES, and LAS, and Application: Detergents & Cleaners, Personal Care, Oilfield Chemicals, Textiles & Leather, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
LAS Surfactants Shaping Liquid Detergents Market with Increased Mobility
Manufacturers in the SLS, SLES and LAS market are focusing on increasing the convenience quotient for consumers by introducing liquid and capsule detergents. LAS (linear alkylbenzene sulfonate) is estimated to dominate the SLS, SLES and LAS market space with a market share of ~77% by 2027. Since LAS is an inexpensive surfactant, manufacturers are increasing its application for producing liquid detergents in North America. The growing adoption of liquid detergents over powdered laundry detergents in North America has instigated manufacturers to introduce novel cleaning products. Since LAS surfactants in detergents offer effective cleaning against grease and oil stains, a lot of households are opting for LAS-based detergents.
Manufacturers in the SLS, SLES and LAS market are increasing their production capacities of liquid detergents more as compared to powdered detergents, because the main surfactant - LAS, complement a broad range of other surfactants such as alcohol ethoxylates, ether sulfates, and amine oxides. These liquid detergents are conveniently packaged in unit-dose pod products to increase mobility for consumers. Liquid detergents are anticipated to steadily take over the market share as the standard of living improves, worldwide.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports Ask for a Sample
Improved Formulations of SLS and SLES Suitable in Personal Care Products
The multipurpose use of SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) is increasingly gaining the attention of manufacturers in the SLS, SLES and LAS market. Since the personal care sector is predicted to reach a production value of ~1,000 kilo tons by 2027, manufacturers are increasing the application of SLS in many cleaning and beauty products. Apart from its application in grooming products, hair products, and dental care products, manufacturers in the SLS, SLES and LAS market are expanding their production capabilities to meet the needs of stakeholders in the food and beverage sector. This is because SLS serves as an efficacious food additive that provides emulsifying and thickening properties in dried egg products, marshmallow products, and certain dry beverage bases.
The FDA has regarded SLS to be safe for utilization as a food additive. However, SLS poses as a risk for skin irritation and cancer in personal care products. Thus, manufacturers in the SLS, SLES and LAS market are innovating on improved formulations using SLES (sodium lauryl ether sulfate) surfactants that are milder and less irritating as compared to SLS.
Get an idea about the offerings of our report from Report Brochure
Manufacturers of Liquid Detergents Gain Competitive Edge with Convenient Packaging Solutions
Although the shelves in supermarkets are increasingly filling up with bold hues of liquid detergents, powdered detergents are still dominating the SLS, SLES and LAS market. This is evident as SLS dry was valued at ~US$ 495 million, and SLS liquid was valued at ~US$ 250 million, in 2018.
Consumers in Germany, Africa, India, China, Latin America, and elsewhere in developing economies opt for powdered laundry detergents over liquid detergents. Several reasons support this claim, as consumers in mainly developing economies associate powdered detergents with increased whitening in clothes. Also, developing liquid detergents requires advanced chemistry knowledge, and its packaging is a tricky challenge for manufacturers due to its complex formulations. As such, manufacturers in the SLS, SLES and LAS market are thinking inside the box to develop efficacious packaging solutions for liquid detergents. For instance, in November 2018, P&G - an American multinational consumer goods corporation, announced the launch of Tide Eco-Box - a liquid detergent containing ultra-concentrated formula designed for e-Commerce.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in SLS, SLES and LAS Market, ask for a customized report
Analysts’ Viewpoint on SLS, SLES and LAS Market
The demand for liquid detergents is rising in the SLS, SLES and LAS market, as consumers are demanding highly active ingredients in laundry detergents. Thus, manufacturers can gain incremental opportunities in the liquid detergent landscape, as LAS complements other potential surfactants that can add value to the products. However, the availability of other effective substitutes such as fatty acids (FA), alkyl sulfates (AS), and other nonionic surfactants pose as a threat to the market growth of LAS, SLS and SLES surfactants. Thus, to gain a competitive advantage over substitutes, manufacturers should increase research to develop improved formulations of LAS that are government-approved.
Global SLS, SLES and LAS Market: Highlights
- In terms of value, the global SLS, SLES and LAS market is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 13 Bn by 2027, growing at a CAGR of ~4% over the forecast period.
- SLS, SLES, and LAS exhibit superior stabilization properties when used in emulsion polymerization manufacturing processes. Rise in the demand for anionic surfactants with unique wetting and spreading properties for use in personal care products, such as anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, and sun protection products, is likely to propel demand in the SLS, SLES, and LAS market during the forecast period.
- Penetration of consumer electronics devices, such as washing machines and dishwashers, in developing economies of Asia Pacific and the Middle East & Africa, is expected to present lucrative opportunities for the SLS, SLES and LAS market in the detergents & cleaners segment in the next few years.
- The global SLS, SLES and LAS market has low entry barriers for new players. Moderate capital investments, abundance of raw materials, and easy availability of technological knowhow are likely to be key factors responsible for low entry barriers throughout the forecast period.
- Bio-based surfactants are expected to witness significant demand in the next few years, which is projected to be a factor hindering the demand for petroleum-based SLS, SLES, and LAS in the next few years.
- SLS, SLES, and LAS can be produced from petrochemical or oleochemical raw materials. Being petroleum-derived products, SLS, SLES, and LAS are prone to price fluctuations.
Laundry Care Industry to Present Promising Growth Opportunities for SLS, SLES and LAS Market
- Anionic surfactants such as SLS, SLES, and LAS play an important role in removing dirt, clay, and oily stains, due to their excellent foam- and lather-forming characteristics. They also exhibit superior wetting and emulsifying properties. SLS, SLES, and LAS are likely to witness significant demand for their use as emulsifiers and softening agents in textile and leather industries between 2019 and 2027.
- The high demand for SLS, SLES, and LAS in the laundry care industry has played a vital role in the upgrade of surfactant technologies over the last few decades. Asia Pacific has been the largest industry for laundry care over the last few years. The region is anticipated to be a lucrative market for manufacturers of emulsion polymers in the next few years, owing to their upstream integration with raw material suppliers and wide geographic coverage.
- The laundry care industry in developed and mature markets, such as Western Europe, is expected to witness modest growth, with a continuous shift toward concentrated liquid and tablet detergents, and the subsequent increase in unit prices. With these indicators, the outlook for the global SLS, SLES and LAS market appears positive.
LAS to be Key Product, Detergents & Cleaners to be Key Application
- The demand for LAS is expected to increase at a more rapid pace as compared to SLS and SLES during the forecast period. LAS is extensively used in soaps, toothpastes, detergents, cleaners, shampoos, and cosmetics. Rise in the demand for surfactants with high biodegradability, strong detergency, and good solubility over a wide range of temperatures is expected to boost the demand for LAS during the forecast period.
- Based on application, the global SLS, SLES and LAS market has been segregated into detergents & cleaners, personal care, oilfield chemicals, textile & leather, and others. The detergents & cleaners segment is expected to hold ~50% share of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market by 2027.
- The growing importance of a healthy lifestyle with rising concerns among consumers about hygienic living and health has led to a rise in the per capita spending on household cleaning products, including laundry detergents, in recent years. Amidst growing price consciousness, consumers are likely to demand value-added surfactants with time-saving features; for example, liquid detergents and tablet detergents.
Asia Pacific to be Highly Lucrative SLS, SLES and LAS Market
- In terms of value and volume, Asia Pacific constituted a major share of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market in 2018. Asia Pacific is a lucrative region of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market, owing to the growth of personal care and detergent industries in the region, and rapid growth of economies such as China, India, and South Korea. The market in Asia Pacific is expected to register a significant CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period.
- Rising demand in countries of Asia for more sophisticated products, including household detergents, personal care products, and industrial detergents, has led to the increased demand for surfactants. Hence, most global surfactant manufacturers have established production bases and marketing channels in Asia Pacific, and they are expanding their regional operations.
- High investments in the commercialization of personal care products are likely to have a positive impact on the SLS, SLES and LAS market in Asia Pacific in the near future.
- Despite traditional grocery retailers being a key channel for a majority of developing countries in Asia, the rise of modern online retail channels has led to increased accessibility and convenience for consumers to purchase household products. Modernization of the global retail sector is likely to present significant opportunities for the global SLS, SLES and LAS market during the forecast period.
Global SLS, SLES and LAS Market: Competition Landscape
- Major players operating in the global SLS, SLES and LAS are -
- BASF SE
- Huntsman Corporation
- Croda International Plc.
- Lion Specialty Chemicals Co. Ltd.
- Galaxy Surfactants Ltd.
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
- Solvay S.A.
- Leading manufacturers are focusing on developing value-added ultra-concentrated laundry, dishwashing, and surface-cleaning products. For instance, in 2018, Henkel AG & Company, KGaA invested US$ 20 Mn in research & development activities to launch Persil Powergems, a new brand of detergent, which is neither powder nor liquid, but contains lentil-shaped crystals that are more concentrated than any washing powder.
Global SLS, SLES and LAS Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research’s recent report on the global SLS, SLES and LAS market, with the help of a comprehensive outlook, provides readers with an assessment of the global market landscape. This study of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market analyzes the scenario for the period of 2019 to 2027, wherein, 2018 is the base year. This report enables readers to make important decisions with regard to their business, with the help of a wealth of information enclosed in the study.
This TMR study of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market also provides data on the developments made by key market players and stakeholders, along with a competition analysis. The report also provides understanding of the strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities of these players, along with the market trends and restraints in the competition landscape section.
This study also discusses the underlying trends and the impact of various factors that are driving the global SLS, SLES and LAS market, along with their influence on the growth of the market.
This study also offers Porter’s five forces analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory scenario, and patents in the landscape of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market, in order to elaborate on the key growth strategies and opportunities for players operating in the market.
Key Questions Answered in Global SLS, SLES and LAS Market Report
- How much revenue is the global SLS, SLES and LAS market is expected to be generated by the end of the forecast period?
- Which region currently accounts for the maximum share of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market?
- What are the factors expected to drive the global SLS, SLES and LAS market?
- Which region is likely to be a lucrative market for SLS, SLES and LAS during the forecast period?
- What are the essential strategies adopted by key stakeholders in the global SLS, SLES and LAS market to expand their geographical presence?
- What are the major advancements in the global SLS, SLES and LAS market?
This report answers these questions about the global SLS, SLES and LAS market, aiding major stakeholders and key players in making correct decisions and strategizing for the growth of their business.
Global SLS, SLES and LAS Market: Research Methodology
This TMR report on the global SLS, SLES and LAS market is based on a complete and comprehensive evaluation of the market, backed by secondary and primary sources. The competition scenario of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market is supported by an assessment of different factors that influence the market on a minute and granular level. By thoroughly analyzing the historical data and current trends, researchers of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market arrived at predictions and estimations, and calculated the market forecasts.
This report uses an analytical triangulation method to estimate the numbers of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market, by using both, the bottom-up and top-down approach.
This detailed assessment of the global SLS, SLES and LAS market, along with an overview of the landscape, is provided based on careful examination of avenues related to this market. Analysts’ conclusions on how the global SLS, SLES and LAS market is set to expand are based on carefully-vetted primary and secondary sources.
Global SLS, SLES and LAS Market: Segmentation
This report on the global SLS, SLES and LAS market bifurcates the market based on three segments: product, application, and region.