Schizophrenia Drugs Market
Schizophrenia Drugs Market (Drug Class: First Generation Drugs, Second Generation Drugs, and Third Generation Drugs; Route of Administration: Oral and Injectable) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Companies Increase Focus on Second-generation Drugs with Polypharmacology Approach
Several doctors and healthcare providers are adopting the methods of polypharmacology to develop new drugs for mental disorders. These methods are providing better outcomes in patients as compared to single-target drugs in the schizophrenia drugs market.
Likewise, multi-target drugs are emerging as an effective alternative to treat polygenic diseases, including schizophrenia. As such, the second-generation drugs market is estimated to reach ~US$ 11.1 billion by the year 2027; the highest amongst all drug classes in the schizophrenia drugs landscape. These second-generation drugs, i.e. atypical antipsychotics, target a number of aminergic G-protein coupled receptors (GPCRs) to treat complex pathomechanisms of schizophrenia.
Pharmaceutical companies are increasing research & development related to the schizophrenia drugs market to develop drugs that are beyond the dopaminergic hypothesis of schizophrenia and beyond monoamine G protein coupled receptors (GPCRs). They are increasing their production capacities of dopamine antagonists and drugs meant to effectively control the symptoms of schizophrenia and improve patient quality of life. Manufacturers in the schizophrenia drugs market are also turning towards other second-generation antipsychotics, such as serotonin and histamine, to prevent amphetamine-induced behavioral changes in patients.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
High-content Single-cell Screenings Serve as a Strategic Alternative
There is the growing need for improved schizophrenia drugs, as psychiatric disorders lead to disorders of the whole body. That is why, healthcare companies are innovating on live cellular function as a model to treat schizophrenia. Manufacturers in the schizophrenia drugs market are using high-content single-cell screenings to develop efficacious compounds for new schizophrenia drugs. This drug 'repurposing' strategy serves as a cost-effective and time-saving alternative for the development of new schizophrenia drugs that can be supplied to small-scale clinics and other healthcare providers.
The live cellular function model helps manufacturers develop new potential drugs at competitive costs, and acts as an efficient alternative to develop the drugs in a significantly less amount of time. The high-content single-cell screening process helps companies test existing psychiatric treatments on patient blood cells and predict the effectiveness of the new schizophrenia drug, depending upon the health condition of each individual.
This first-of-its-kind process will help healthcare companies overcome the limitations of first-line treatments, as these treatments have been performing poorly in most patients.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Schizophrenia Drugs Market
Study of Live Blood Cells Gives Rise to Potential Schizophrenia Drugs
One of the major challenges that restricts healthcare companies from developing novel drugs for the schizophrenia drugs market is the lack of sample-based tests. Since doctors cannot take brain tissue samples from patients like they do in a biopsy on a cancer tumor elsewhere in the body, it is challenging for researchers to study the root causes of schizophrenia. This becomes a hurdle for doctors and researchers as to what to target in order to design novel neuropsychiatric drugs. As such, healthcare companies are collaborating with doctors and researchers to study the live blood cells of patients with mental health disorders. These blood cells help researchers identify potential targets for drug discovery.
Companies are increasing focus on the study of human blood cells, as these cells are closely associated with the central nervous system. This makes blood cells an ideal environment to test potential new drugs.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Schizophrenia Drugs Market”
The schizophrenia drugs market is expected to grow the fastest in Asia Pacific on an account of the demand for less-invasive oral drugs that are anticipated to reach ~US$ 10.8 billion by 2027. Healthcare companies are increasing research on primary cells from patients to gain high success rates in the discovery of effective drugs. They are also innovating on antipsychotic drugs, as these drugs provide a range of tools to explore brain function in health and mental disorders. However, antipsychotic drugs have a high risk of disrupting the extrapyramidal function in patients. Also, these drugs do not have enough clinical evidence to prove their effectiveness in the development of new compounds in drugs.
As such, healthcare companies are increasing research & development to closely understand the effects of antipsychotic drugs on the central dopamine homeostasis of patients. Companies operating in the schizophrenia drugs market should focus on new models of preventive treatments of schizophrenia, such as the animal model and stem cell technology, for improved schizophrenia drug screenings.
Schizophrenia Drugs Market: Overview
- Rise in the prevalence of schizophrenia, approvals for additional indications, and launch of new schizophrenia drugs are driving the schizophrenia drugs market.
- The number of patients that are suffering from schizophrenia has been increasing across the world. Moreover, rise in the launch of new schizophrenia drugs in various countries is fueling the growth of the global schizophrenia market.
- These factors are estimated to boost the global schizophrenia drugs market during the forecast period. The schizophrenia drugs market was valued at ~US$ 11.2 Bn in 2018, and is projected to reach ~US$ 15.5 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~4% from 2019 to 2027.
Schizophrenia Drugs Market: Key Trends
- The market for schizophrenia drugs is an established market, owing to the high demand for schizophrenia drugs in developed as well as developing countries. Additionally, leading market players in the schizophrenia drugs market are engaged in the development of innovative products.
- Based on drug class, the global schizophrenia drugs market has been categorized into first generation drugs, second generation drugs, and third generation drugs. The second generation drugs segment held a major share of the global schizophrenia drugs market in 2018, owing to their low risk of neurological side effects as compared to first generation of schizophrenia drugs.
- In terms of route of administration, the global schizophrenia drugs market has been segregated into oral and injectable. The oral segment dominated the global schizophrenia drugs market, owing to easy accessibility to oral drugs, their non-invasive nature, and high preference by patients.
- The number of people affected by depression has been rising all across the world. According to the WHO, more than 300 million people suffer from depression and over 800,000 people commit suicide every year. Depression is the second leading cause of death in 15–29 year olds.
- Increase in the number of launches of new schizophrenia drugs in various countries is fueling the global schizophrenia drugs market.
- In 2015, Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. announced the launch of Rexulti in the U.S. In April 2017, the drug was also launched in Canada.
Schizophrenia Drugs Market: Competition
- The report provides the company profiles that includes key information about the major players in the schizophrenia drugs market.
- Each of these players have been profiled in the report based on parameters such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, product portfolio, business segment, and recent developments.
- The schizophrenia drugs market is highly consolidated, owing to a small number of market players selling approved drugs for schizophrenia.
- Janssen Global Services, LLC (Johnson & Johnson), ALLERGAN, Pfizer Inc., and Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. are major players operating in the global schizophrenia drugs market.
FDA Approval and Product Expansion
- In January 2018, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. announced that it received regulatory approval for the manufacture and sales of Rexulti tablets (generic name - brexpiprazole) in Japan. Brexpiprazole is a serotonin-dopamine activity modulator (SDAM) that acts as a partial agonist at 5-HT1A and dopamine D2 receptors, and as an antagonist at 5-HT2A and noradrenaline alpha1B/2C receptors.
- In January 2018, Janssen Global Services, LLC received FDA approval for INVEGA SUSTENNA (paliperidone palmitate), a once-monthly schizophrenia treatment drug. This is the first and only antipsychotic drug to have U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval.
- In November 2017, ALLERGAN received FDA approval for use of VRAYLAR (cariprazine) for the treatment of schizophrenia. VRAYLAR is an oral, once-daily atypical antipsychotic drug approved for the acute treatment of adult patients with manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar disorder, with a recommended dose range of 3 to 6 mg/day, and for the treatment of schizophrenia in adults, with a recommended dose range of 1.5 to 6 mg/day.
Mergers & Acquisitions to Strengthen Market Position
- In February 2015, Pfizer, Inc. and Hospira, Inc. (a leading player in infusion technologies and injectable drugs) signed a merger agreement. Under the agreement, Pfizer would acquire Hospira for a total transaction value of ~US$ 17 Bn. This complementary merger would help in expanding the company’s portfolio of sterile injectable pharmaceuticals and biosimilars.
Schizophrenia Drugs Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global schizophrenia drugs market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities, and provides valuable insights of the same indicators for the said market for the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global market for the period of 2017 to 2027, with 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global market for the forecast period of 2019 to 2027.
The report has been prepared after extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts conducted interviews with market leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves studying key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the schizophrenia drugs market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approach to study various phenomena in the market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the schizophrenia drugs market. Key players operating in the global market are identified, and each one of them are profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT analysis are some of the attributes of the players in the market profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in the Global Schizophrenia Drugs Market Report
- How does the development of schizophrenia drugs provide scope of growth in the market?
- How are alliances and partnerships between players widening the scope of new lines of treatment for schizophrenia?
- What are the revenue share projections of key segments under various criteria in the global market during the forecast period?
- Which segment is likely to register leading revenue until the end of the forecast period?
- How is the evolving healthcare system in developing countries of Asia Pacific making an impact on the overall market?
Global Schizophrenia Drugs Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the schizophrenia drugs market begins with an overview of the said market, followed by the scope and objectives of this study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study, and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of the line of treatment of schizophrenia.
For reading comprehensibility, the report is compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of the key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the global schizophrenia drugs market in terms of drug class, route of administration, and region. Key segments under each criteria are studied at length, and the market shares for each of them at the end of 2027 are provided herein. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investment in the market.
Global Schizophrenia Drugs Market – Segmentation
First Generation Drugs
Second Generation Drugs
Third Generation Drugs
Route of Administration
Middle East & Africa