Sapphire Substrate Market
Sapphire Substrate Market (Wafer Diameter: 2 Inches, 4 Inches, 6 Inches, and Others; and Application: LED [Micro LED and Others], RFIC Application, Laser Diode, Silicon on Sapphire [SoS] IC, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020 - 2030
Press Release :
Rise in Popularity of Silicon on Sapphire Circuits to Bolster Market Growth
The discovery of allotropes such as graphene has led to a considerable rise in research and development activities around the world, wherein scientists laid great emphasis on the discovery of new two-dimensional (2D) materials. The quest to discover new materials largely depended on laboratory activities, and was primarily met by several challenges, including development of scalable volume of high-quality crystalline 2D materials. The increasing adoption of sapphire substrate in crystal is expected to remain one of the major drivers for the global sapphire substrate market during the forecast period.
The increasing demand for LEDSs, laser diodes, and other RFIC applications is another factor that is likely to fuel the demand for sapphire substrates during the assessment period. Research and development activities are also expected to surge in the upcoming years in the sapphire substrate market, due to widening applications of the same. In addition, advancements in modern engineering coupled with technological developments are projected to remain the key for market growth in the upcoming years.
The promising outcome of high temperature growth techniques from suitable melt is expected to remain one of the most prominent sapphire production techniques during the forecast period. At the back of these factors, along with the increasing demand for silicon on sapphire (SoS) technology, the global sapphire substrate market is on course to surpass the market value of US$ 900 Mn by the end of 2030.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Sapphire Substrates Market
High Demand for Sapphire Substrates to Improve Efficiency of GaN-based Diodes to Drive Global Market
Due to research activities, novel patterned sapphire substrates are being discovered that continue to find applications across the semiconductor sphere. In the past few years, a unique patterned sapphire substrate is increasingly being used to attain mesa-type light-emitting diodes (LED) that can minimize threading dislocation densities. Moreover, increasing usage and demand for nitride-based LEDs for solid-state lighting due to its various advantages, including long life, size and high efficiency is expected to have a strong impact on the global sapphire substrate market during the assessment period.
LEDs are extensively being used in full color displays and traffic signals due to which, the demand for sapphire substrate has witnessed consistent growth over the past few years.
Another factor that is set to fuel the growth of the global sapphire substrate market is the soaring demand for silicon-on-sapphire microelectronic circuit. The rise in the demand for silicon-on-sapphire circuits can be largely attributed to advantages such as low power consumption, high speed, and resistance to radiation. Furthermore, silicon on sapphire microelectronic circuits are widely used in the production of smartphones, high frequency radio communication, laptops, and the aerospace industry– a factor that is expected to have a positive impact on the growth of the global sapphire substrate market during the assessment period. As per the analysts at Transparency Market Research, sapphire is expected to remain one of the most prominent substrates in the development process of gallium nitride electronics. The increasing demand for LEDs from various end-use sectors is likely to have a positive impact on the global sapphire substrate market during the forecast period.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Demand for Sapphire Substrate to Fall During COVID-19 Pandemic
The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic is expected to have a negative impact on the overall development of the global sapphire substrate market for a temporary period. The demand for consumer electronic products witnessed a sizeable decline in the second and third quarter of 2020, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, stringent lockdown coupled with restrictions on transportation and cross-border trade are major factors that are likely to result in supply chain barriers. The shutdown of the industrial sector in China during the first quarter of 2020 led to a severe shortage of raw materials due to which, the development of sapphire substrate took a major hit in 2020.
Market players are expected to focus on research and development activities during the ongoing pandemic, as manufacturing activities and operations gain momentum. The trade war between China and the U.S. is also anticipated to have a strong influence on the sapphire substrate market growth during the forecast period.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Sapphire Substrates Market
The global sapphire substrate market is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~6% during the assessment period. The market growth is primarily driven by increasing demand for sapphire substrate for the development of LEDs, laser diodes, etc. The significant rise in the popularity of SoS circuits is another factor that is anticipated to fuel the growth of the global sapphire substrate market during the assessment period. Market players should focus on R&D activities and address supply chain barriers as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Sapphire Substrate Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global sapphire substrate market for the historical period 2018–2019 and the forecast period 2020–2030, usage of sapphire substrate in LEDs, laser diodes, silicon on sapphire (SoS) IC, and RFIC applications, and increasing application of sapphire substrate in consumer electronics are factors expected to boost the global sapphire substrate market during the forecast period
- In terms of revenue, the global sapphire substrate market is estimated to exceed value of US$ 900 Mn by 2030, expanding at a CAGR of ~6% during the forecast period
Growth in Demand for Silicon on Sapphire (SoS): A Key Driver of Sapphire Substrate Market
- Growing demand for silicon on sapphire (SoS) technology has been boosting the sapphire substrate market. Silicon on sapphire (SoS) technology has been recording significant growth rate globally, owing to favorable properties of sapphire.
- Excellent insulating property of sapphire has been promoting the growth of SoS technology
- Sapphire’s excellent properties and relatively lower cost are leading to these substrates being increasingly used for manufacturing various electronic devices globally
- This has been promoting the application of SoS integrated circuits (ICs) in various electronic products, which, in turn, has been promoting the growth of the sapphire substrate market globally
- Considering the impact of all these factors, the sapphire substrate market is expected to grow during the forecast period
- However, sapphire, in comparison with other high-end materials, such as Silicon, Sic, and GaN technology is highly competitive in terms of cost of fabrication, compatibility with other materials, applications, and usage. It makes this technology much more common. Sapphire will remain valid the basic substrate in gallium nitride electronics. Sapphire is a dielectric; therefore, sapphire is often to be etched, and this is an additional laborious engineering issue. These similarities and issues related to the sapphire substrate technology are negatively affecting the growth of the silicon substrate market.
Rise in Demand for LEDs across Various Sectors
- Growth in demand for LEDs has been primarily driving the market for sapphire substrate. Demand for LEDs has witnessed growth, in terms of volume, over the past few years. Though the prices of LED has been decreasing by a good margin, significant growth in volume has been negating the impact of the price fall.
- LED is demanded for various applications, including for lighting solutions and display. These extensive applications of LED have been advancing the market for sapphire substrate.
- Furthermore, the global market for electronic devices has been growing at a tremendous pace, due to huge penetration of smart electronics in emerging economies and growth of industrial automation, among other factors. This can be allied to the growth of smart lighting and LED-based products in the market, and is likely to influence the fabrication and demand for sapphire substrate globally. Thus, the demand for sapphire substrate in LED applications is anticipated to expand at a substantial CAGR of 5.2% by 2030.
Sapphire Substrate Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of providers of sapphire substrate have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies
- Key players operating in the global sapphire substrate market are
- Aurora Optoelectronics Co., Ltd
- Crystal Applied Technology, Inc.
- Crystalwise Technology, Inc.
- Hansol Technics, Co., Ltd.
- ILJIN DISPLAY CO., LTD
- KYOCERA Corporation
- Meller Optics, Inc.
- Monocrystal, Inc.
- Precision Micro-Optics, Inc.
- Rubicon Technology, Inc.
- Saint-Gobain Group
- Sapphire Technology Co., Ltd.
- Semiconductor Wafer, Inc.
Sapphire Substrate Market: Key Developments
- Key providers of sapphire substrate, such as Senko Advanced Components, Molex LLC, and Furukawa Electric Co. Ltd. are focusing on the construction of cost-effective sapphire substrate to attract more customers. Some other key developments in the global sapphire substrate market are highlighted below:
- In October 2020, Meller Optics, Inc. launched new sapphire waveplates for high power IR and visible laser. Custom-designed sapphire waveplates are highly resistant to chemicals, scratching, shock, and temperature fluctuations.
- In April 2017, Monocrystal, Inc. launched the new Ultra-Clean sapphire wafers. The company offers cutting-edge cleaning technology to execute breakthrough in wafer surface quality, required by high-precision optoelectronic applications such as micro-LEDs.
- In 2017, Aurora Optoelectronics Co., Ltd.’s subsidiary namely Ao Ruide launched the sixth generation of 3D glass hot bending machine. This new product launch helped the company avoid cylinder jam problems. It fully considers customer needs and convenience of operations, and is more user-friendly.
- In the global sapphire substrate market report, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of providers of sapphire substrate. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and company market share analysis of key players operating in the global sapphire substrate market.
Sapphire Substrate Market – Scope of the Report
A new study on the global sapphire substrate market is published by Transparency Market Research (TMR). It presents detailed information on key market dynamics, including drivers, trends, and challenges for the global sapphire substrate market as well as its structure. TMR’s study offers valuable information on the global sapphire substrate market in order to illustrate how the market is expected to expand during the forecast period i.e. 2020–2030.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain analysis and compound annual growth rate (CAGR), have been elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret the quantitative growth aspects of the global sapphire substrate market.
An extensive analysis of business strategies adopted by leading market players has also been featured in TMR’s study on the global sapphire substrate market. This can help readers understand key factors responsible for growth of the global sapphire substrate market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on avenues for qualitative and quantitative growth of the global sapphire substrate market. This data would guide market players in making apt decisions in the near future.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Study on Sapphire Substrate Market
- What would be the Y-o-Y growth trend of the global sapphire substrate market between 2020 and 2030?
- What is the influence of changing trends in the wafer diameter segment on the global sapphire substrate market?
- Would Asia Pacific continue to be the most dominant regional market for providers of sapphire substrate over the next few years?
- Which factors would hinder the global sapphire substrate market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies operating in the global sapphire substrate market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the global sapphire substrate market and arrive at conclusions on future growth prospects for the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the conclusions drawn.
Secondary research sources referred to by analysts during production of the report on the global sapphire substrate market include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and market white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who have contributed to production of TMR’s study on the global sapphire substrate market as a primary research source.
These primary and secondary sources provided exclusive information during interviews, which served as a validation from leading players operating in the global sapphire substrate market. Access to an extensive internal repository as well as external proprietary databases allowed this report to address specific details and questions about the global sapphire substrate market with accuracy. The study also uses a top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment and a bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making TMR’s estimates on future prospects for the global sapphire substrate market more reliable and accurate.
Sapphire Substrate Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study of the global sapphire substrate market segments the market based on wafer diameter, application, and region. Changing market trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with segments of the global sapphire substrate market have been discussed in detail in TMR’s study.