Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market: Introduction
- Disc degeneration is treated by either immobilization of the affected vertebrae or discectomy. Even though these preventative treatments can be effective, they have their limitations. The PDN device has been developed to help fill therapy gaps that exist in the treatment of moderate degenerative disc diseases.
- The health of an intervertebral disc is based on a complicated interplay between physiology and biomechanics. The PDN (Raymedica Inc., MN) prosthetic disc nucleus device introduced by C.D. Ray in 1996 is the first nucleus replacement device designed to replace the functions of the disc that were lost through degeneration.
- The device consists of a hydrogel core and a polyethylene jacket designed to assume the cushioning function of a healthy disc, while restoring/maintaining disc height and allowing normal range of motion.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Prosthetic disc nucleus (PDN) Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market
Increase in Global Geriatric Population:
- According to the United Nations, the number of people above the age of 60 is expected to double by 2050 and grow three-fold by 2100. It is projected to rise from 962 million in 2017 to 2.1 billion in 2050 and reach 3.1 billion by 2100. Globally, the geriatric population is increasing at a rapid pace.
- The current geriatric population is about 13% of the global population and increases at a rate of 3% every year. Furthermore, the number of persons aged 80 years and above is estimated to grow three-fold by 2050, an increase from 137 million in 2017 to 425 million by 2050. Presently, Europe has a significantly large geriatric population.
- Technological advancements have increased awareness about motion preservation devices in the past few years. Advancements in technology have improved the quality of life for patients who suffer from spine disorders. Therefore, these advancements have led to a significant rise in the use of motion preservation devices.
- Various motion preservation devices are available with both pulse and continuous flow technology. The non-fusion technology in spine surgery may improve outcomes by reducing surgical morbidity and incidences of adjacent level degeneration. However, new technologies also introduce new short- and long-term complications.
Increase in Adoption of Spinal Surgery Procedures:
- Adoption of spinal surgery adoption enables surgeons to create smaller incisions that can minimize damage to sensitive tissues and complications, and allow faster recovery time. Spinal surgery has been preferring smaller incisions and biologic materials that minimize surgical duration and approach-related morbidity for the last few years.
- Minimally invasive spine surgery lowers blood loss, enables faster patient recovery, reduces hospital stays, and allows transitional procedures to ambulatory settings. However, safety in spinal surgery remains paramount and has hampered for the results of aggressive early adopters.
- The demographic shift and associated ballooning in the geriatric population is estimated to provide additional impetus for cost-effective spine surgery is anticipated to be driven by minimally invasive techniques.
Product Recall and Migration of Colonic Stent
- Product recalls by the Food and Drug Administration are likely to hamper the growth of the global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market. For instance, On June 19, 2019, Mobi-C 14mm Distraction Screw offered by Zimmer Biomet, Inc.was recalled
- The reason for recall is the incorrect part description contained on an additional label placed on the packaging: A 14mm length part was incorrectly labeled as being a 12mm length screw.
North America to Hold a Major Share of Global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market
- North America is expected to hold the major share of the global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market due to the presence of a large number of players and increase in the prevalence of spine injury. Approximately 80% of Americans encounter back pain at least once in their lifetime, and for many people, spinal disorders are a lifelong problem. The personal and monetary costs associated with this widespread problem are staggering. One of the main causes of back pain and spinal disorders is the degeneration of spinal discs. Disc degeneration is painful and often difficult to treat. One of the most promising surgical options currently being developed is the use of artificial discs.
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the CHARITÉ Artificial Disc (DePuy Spine, Inc. of Raynham, MA) for use in treating pain associated with degenerative disc disease. The device was approved for use at one level in the lumbar spine (from L4-S1) for patients who have had no relief from low back pain after at least six months of non-surgical treatment.
- Increase in prevalence of spine injuries, rise in the geriatric population, and advancements in technology led North America to hold a major share of the global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus market. . The geriatric population in the region, according to U.S. Census Bureau, is likely to reach 80 million by 2050. This, in turn, is projected to drive the demand for minimally invasive surgery.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Prosthetic disc nucleus (PDN) Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Market:
The global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market is highly concentrated due to the presence of key players. A large number of manufacturers hold a major share in their respective region. The demand for colonic stent has increased in emerging as well as developed markets. Industry players are adopting practices of appointing third-party distributors to expand their market presence. This has led to a surge in the number of distributors and suppliers in emerging markets. Leading players operating in the global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market are:
- NuVasive, Inc.
- Globus Medical Inc.
- DepuySynthes (Part of Johnson & Johnson)
- Stryker Corporation
- Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc
- Alphatec Holdings, Inc.
- Orthofix International N.V.
- RTI Surgical, Inc.
- Other Prominent Players
Global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market: Research Scope
Global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market, by surgery
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Open Spine Surgery
Global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market, by technique
- Posterior Hemilaminotimy Approach
- Paraspinal Transforaminal Approach
- Anterior-Lateral transPsoatic Approach (ALPA)
Global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market, by end-user
- Orthopedic Clinics
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Global Prosthetic Disc Nucleus (PDN) Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.