Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market
Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market (Treatment: Wound Care Dressings, Wound Care Devices, Active Therapies, and Others; Wound: Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, and Stage 4; End User: Hospital Inpatient Settings, Hospital Outpatient Settings, Community Health Centers, and Home Healthcare) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Monitoring and Prevention Protocols to Become an Integral Part of Pressure Ulcers Treatment Options
A substantial rise in the elderly population living with disabilities and the growing incidence of hospital-acquired pressure ulcers have been the primary driving engines of the pressure ulcers treatment landscape. While a wide range of innovative wound care devices, dressings, and therapies are offered by various stakeholders, the high financial cost of the management and treatment of pressure ulcers is becoming a Gordian knot for healthcare organizations, including hospitals and community health centers.
The pressure ulcers treatment space is moving towards preventive care protocols, as the cost of treating pressure ulcers is much higher than that of preventing them. Innovative mobility monitoring systems are being adopted by healthcare centers and hospitals to improve patient experience by preventing pressure ulcers. In addition, the digital features of pressure ulcer prevention systems are gaining popularity with the advent of technologies that are bolstering digital transformation in the healthcare industry.
The global market for pressure ulcers treatment is expected to witness healthy growth with the increasing awareness about the negative impacts of pressure ulcers on patients’ health and their quality of life. The market is expected to reach a valuation of ~US$ 4.8 billion in 2019, and the adoption of digital monitoring systems in pressure ulcer prevention protocols is expected to have a significant impact on the developments in the pressure ulcers treatment market.
To know the segments analyzed in the TMR report, ask for a brochure here.
Telemedicine Boosts Patient Preference for Remote Wound Care and Monitoring
As digital transformation continues to impact the healthcare industry, telemedicine is continually gaining momentum, providing care above and beyond the traditional care scenario. Research and development has led key players in the healthcare industry to come together with technology providers to create products that supplement wound care. For instance, Swift Skin and Wound, an app that is now being rolled out as a pilot test in North America, provides healthcare professionals with a way to manage and track pressure ulcers.
One of the most significant changes has been the innovation of artificial skin substitutes as an effective solution for pressure ulcers in all age groups. Focus on improved quality of life for patients has led to the current trend of holistic treatment of pressure ulcers, with skin substitutes playing an important role in effective and scar-free healing. Artificial skin substitutes have also evolved in recent times, being made from natural and artificial materials, in order to be more effective.
Developing technology has also furthered the use of bioengineered wound dressings, with several biological substances being used in the treatment of pressure injuries and ulcers, by reducing the healing time and ramping up the healing process. This has led to major market players focusing on increasing research and development on biologics as well.
In addition to this, companies in the pressure ulcers treatment market are set to expand their geographical footprint and increase their market share through strategic mergers and acquisitions.
To know more about TMRs unique offerings for Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market, request a sample here
Some of the developments that have shaped the landscape include:
- Smith and Nephew Plc acquiring Osiris Therapeutics specializing in regenerative medicine products, including skin and bone substitutes.
- Hill-Rom Holding Inc. acquired Voalte Inc., a leader in real-time mobile healthcare communications, strengthening the company’s portfolio and hold in the telemedicine market.
Awareness of Impact of Pressure Injuries to Lead to Adoption of Better Wound Care Products
There has been a marked increase in the general populace regarding the awareness about pressure injuries and causes. According to a recent study published by the US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, nearly 65 thousand patients out of every 1,000,000 patients suffering from pressure ulcers die due to complications, which creates a major health challenge, worldwide. As such, various healthcare organizations are conducting awareness campaigns, such as the International Stop Pressure Ulcer Day 2018, for public responsiveness towards the damaging impact of ulcers, which is contributing to a substantial rise in the adoption of pressure ulcers treatment around the world.
Not only have these campaigns raised public and healthcare professionals’ awareness about pressure injuries, they also encourage people to adopt more effective pressure ulcers treatment options as well. This, alongside an increase of general hygiene standards, plus access to better hygiene, has resulted in the adoption of improved wound care products, which is expected to augur well for stakeholders in the pressure ulcers treatment landscape.
However, despite the increased incidence of pressure injuries, the high cost of advanced care products for their treatment can act as a deterrent to the growth of the market. This is likely to hold true, especially for developing countries, where conventional means that are slower are preferred over efficient and faster treatment options due to the higher cost of the latter.
Get a snapshot of the latest report on Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market with Custom Report here
North America and Europe: Top Revenue Pockets for Market Players
The pressure ulcer treatment market has been evolving at a rapid pace in recent years, with companies adapting according to the changing technological trends in developed regions. North America and Europe accounted for ~65% of the market share in 2018, and is likely to retain this share during the forecast years. Increasing investments by market leaders in these regions, along with clinical trials and pilot tests, are contributing to the expansion of the pressure ulcers treatment market in these regions.
The pressure ulcers treatment market in Europe is growing steadily, and occupied ~one-third share of the total revenue of the global market as of 2018. Key players in the European market are working with governmental organizations to reduce the healthcare burden on both, the governments and patients. For Instance, ConvaTec Group Plc is working with the U.K. government to improve patient outcomes, and ensure the timely and appropriate care of pressure ulcers.
Analysts’ View of the Market
The prevalence of pressure injuries has increased over the recent years, owing to which, authors of the study published by Transparency Market Research opine that, the pressure ulcers treatment market is set to expand at a moderately-fast rate during the forecast period of 2019-2027. Digitalization of the healthcare industry will have a significant impact on the developments in this landscape, and stakeholders who will offer pressure ulcer prevention protocols will have a stronghold in this market in the coming years.
In addition, the surge in awareness about hygiene and proper would care, especially in developed countries, has brought about increased investments in innovative products that offer advanced wound care. Furthermore, North America and Europe will remain the top revenue pockets for market players who are launching innovative wound care products in the landscape. Nevertheless, Asia Pacific is also set to offer growth opportunities to market players investing in this region, characterized by the rising demand for products and systems for improved quality of life and convenience.
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the global pressure ulcers treatment market for the historical period of 2017 to 2018 and forecast period of 2019 to 2027, rise in the prevalence of pressure ulcers is projected to boost the growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market during the forecast period.
- The global pressure ulcers treatment market is estimated to reach ~ US$ 4.8 Bn in 2019. The global pressure ulcers treatment market is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~ 6% in terms of revenue during the forecast period.
Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market: Rise in Prevalence of Pressure Ulcers: A Key Driver
- Pressure ulcers are considered to be a common health problem around the world. Rise in the prevalence of pressure ulcers increases the demand for their treatment. This boosts the growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market.
- Nottinghamshire Healthcare, the NHS, U.K. (2016) stated that, around 20% of individuals who stayed in residential homes and nursing homes, developed pressure ulcers, while 60% of residents are at risk of developing pressure ulcers. The National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (2015) indicated that, the prevalence of pressure ulcers was 1 in 4 common injuries in the U.K.
- A recent study published in the Journal of Clinical Nursing (2018) that was carried out a research on the prevalence of pressure ulcers in secondary and tertiary general hospitals in Guangdong, China concluded that, the prevalence of pressure ulcers among admitted patients ranged from 0% to 3.5%. Stage 2 pressure ulcers displayed higher prevalence (41.4%), followed by other stages.
- A recent study based in Turkey (source: Journal of Tissue Viability, 2018) estimated that, the prevalence of pressure ulcers was 12.7%, with high prevalence in intensive care clinic settings (35.3%).
Technological Advancements in Wound Care - Latest Trend in the Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market
- Technological advancements in wound care therapy such as endovascular arterial repair technique and bi-layered human dermal substitutes are projected to have a positive impact on pressure ulcers treatment. Several other technologies are used for pressure ulcers treatment, prevention, and management.
- According to a study published in 2015, titled, 'An mHealth Technology for Chronic Wound Management’, a large number of mobile consumer electronic devices have meaningful applications in healthcare, such as SmartWoundCare, and are designed to document and assess chronic wounds on smartphones and tablets.
- According to the Johns Hopkins Institute, pressure sore status tool (PSST) and pressure ulcer scale for healing (PUSH) are excellent tools for monitoring pressure ulcer healing. High-frequency portable ultrasound to measure wound healing has also been introduced. The use of this technology, which can capture three-dimensional measurements, has shown to be quite beneficial in objectively monitoring healing.
- Other technological advancements include educational technologies (such as E-learning programs), interface pressure mapping, electrical stimulation, and telemedicine. These technological advancements drive the global pressure ulcers treatment market.
High Cost of Advanced Wound Care Products and Pressure Ulcers Treatment
- High cost of newly launched and technologically-advanced wound care dressings and other products hampers demand. Conventional wound healing products are preferred over technologically-advanced dressings, despite their slow healing process.
- The price-sensitive market in developing countries, therefore, limits the growth of advanced wound management technologies.
- According to Tropical Journal of Medical research, the cost of pressure ulcers treatment is high. The cost of treatment is two and a half times the cost of preventing the disease.
- According to a study published in 2016 by the European Wound Management Association, the financial burden of wounds in general was 6% (4% to 8%) of total public health expenditure in 2013. The study concluded that, given the high prevalence and incidences of pressure ulcers, it is likely that, these wounds significantly contribute to this public health expenditure.
- Therefore, high cost is projected to hamper the growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market.
Global Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market: Competitive Landscape
- Detailed profiles of the manufacturers of pressure ulcers treatment products have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies.
- Leading players operating in the global pressure ulcers treatment market include -
Smith & Nephew plc
Hill-Rom Holdings, Inc.
Mölnlycke Health Care AB
B. Braun Melsungen AG
Acelity L.P., Inc.
ConvaTec Group plc.
Global Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market: Key Developments
Key manufacturers in the global pressure ulcers treatment market are strengthening their overseas sales structure by increasing production capacities. Recent developments in the pressure ulcers treatment market are:
- In January 2019, Mölnlycke Health Care AB announced the acquisition of M&J Airlaid Products A/S (M&J). M&J is a Denmark-based private company and manufacturer of specialized and high-quality absorbent Airlaid nonwoven materials. M&J’s Airlaid technology is critical along with foams and soft silicone in Mölnlycke’s wound care products.
- In July 2017, Cardinal Health announced the acquisition of Medtronic's patient care, deep vein thrombosis, and nutritional insufficiency business for US$ 6.1 Bn. The acquisition added 23 products across multiple categories to the company’s portfolio. The wound care product line included Curity brand, which offers different bandages and dressings.
- In April 2016, Integra LifeSciences announced that its subsidiary, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, entered into an agreement with Vomaris Wound Care, Inc., a company specializing in microcurrent solutions for the advanced wound care market. Vomaris' Advanced Microcurrent Technology (AMT) platform earned the Frost & Sullivan's 2016 Best Practices Award for New Product Innovation for pioneering technology that utilizes electrical energy for wound management.
In the global pressure ulcers treatment market report, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of the manufacturers of pressure ulcers treatments. The ‘Competitive Landscape’ section is included in the pressure ulcers treatment market report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of the key players operating in the global pressure ulcer treatment market.
TMR - Description - Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market
[282 Pages Report] Transparency Market Research’s report on the pressure ulcers treatment market is an all-inclusive research report on the current global market scenario, as well as the future prospects of the market. This study provides data and analytics of the various segments of the pressure ulcers treatment market, by treatment, wound, end user, and region, and also has the key findings and trends that are likely to make an impact on the growth of the market.
This TMR report on the pressure ulcers treatment market also offers the developments made by important leaders and players in the market, along with a taxonomy and competitive analysis. This report also provides details of the companies and players currently operating in the pressure ulcers treatment market, and their strategies.
Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market: Key Questions Answered in this Report
This report by TMR, on the basis of extensive research, offers data and analytics on the evolution of the pressure ulcers treatment market around the world. The report also answers very important questions about the pressure ulcers treatment market, aiding key players in creating key strategies for the advancement of their business.
Some of these questions include:
- What are the drivers and restraints of the pressure ulcers treatment market?
- What are the opportunities that exist in the current scenario in the pressure ulcers treatment market?
- How is the pressure ulcers treatment market likely to evolve during the forecast period?
- What will be the Y-O-Y growth of the pressure ulcers treatment market?
- What regions are currently dominating the pressure ulcers treatment market in terms of market share and value?
- What are the key strategies being implemented by key players in the pressure ulcers treatment market?
The report begins with an executive summary of the pressure ulcers treatment market, highlighting the scope, drivers, restraints, opportunities, and market overview. This is followed by a comprehensive segmentation analysis of the pressure ulcers treatment market, and an analysis of the growth projections and geographical assessment as well.
Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market: Research Methodology
The research methodology used for generating the pressure ulcers treatment market report comprises five stages: kick-off, secondary research, primary research, analysis, and conclusion. The first stage establishes the direction in which the report is to progress. Sources for the secondary research include, but not limited to, company annual reports, investor presentations, company websites, white papers, and more. Primary sources include interviews with opinion leaders and company websites from both, the supply and demand side of the pressure ulcer treatment market.
This report uses a robust triangulation method to estimate the numbers in the pressure ulcers treatment market, with both, a top-down and a bottom-up approach for market estimations.
This detailed assessment on the pressure ulcers treatment market provides an analysis of the competitive landscape, based on the extensive examination of various avenues related to this industry. Analysts’ conclusions on the pressure ulcers treatment market and how it is set to grow is based on qualitative insights from carefully vetted primary and secondary sources.
Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market: Segmentation
The pressure ulcers treatment market’s analysis by TMR in this report divides the market into the following four segments: wound, treatment, end user, and region. The underlying trends of the impact of various factors driving the pressure ulcers treatment market and their influence on each of these segments is also discussed in this report.
Wound Care Dressings
Wound Care Devices
Hospital In-patient Settings
Hospital Out-patient Settings
Community Healthcare Centers
Home Care Centers
Rest of the World