Published: Oct, 2019
Transparency Market Research (TMR) has published a new report in the schizophrenia drugs market for the forecast period of 2019–2027. According to the report, the global schizophrenia drugs market was valued at ~US$ 11.2 Bn in 2018, and is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~4% from 2019 to 2027. Rise in the prevalence of schizophrenia, launch of innovative products by key market players, and expansion of pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies are anticipated to augment the global schizophrenia drugs market from 2019 to 2027.
Schizophrenia Drugs Market: Overview
- North America and Western Europe are likely to account for a significant share of the global schizophrenia drugs market, owing to a large patient population and rise in the awareness regarding schizophrenia among people in the region. Moreover, the launch of new schizophrenia drugs by pharmaceutical companies can be attributed to the expansion of the schizophrenia drugs markets in North America and Europe.
- Launch of generic drugs for schizophrenia due to loss of patent protection and exclusivity of branded drugs is likely to hamper the global schizophrenia drugs market. Asia Pacific is expected to be a highly lucrative market for schizophrenia drugs during the forecast period.
Rise in Prevalence of Depression
- The number of depressed patients is rising across the world. According to the WHO, more than 300 million people suffer from depression and over 800,000 people commit suicide every year. Depression is the second leading cause of death in people aged between 15 and 29 years.
- Depression affects approximately 14.8 million U.S. adults and 6.7% of the people aged 18 years or above in the country. In the U.S., neurological illnesses and psychiatric disorders cost more than US$ 760 Bn a year.
Launch of New Schizophrenia Drugs
- Launch of new schizophrenia drugs in various countries is fueling the global schizophrenia drugs market.
- In 2015, Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. announced the launch of REXULTI in the U.S. In April 2017, the drug was launched in Canada.
Launch of Generic Schizophrenia Drugs to Hamper Market
- Generic drugs for schizophrenia are being launched due to loss of patent protection and/or exclusivity of branded drugs.
- The patents of all products offered by Zyprexa of Eli Lilly and Company have expired. Thus, the number of launches of generic drugs for schizophrenia has increased all over the world. This has led to an increase in generic schizophrenia drugs in developed countries.
Asia Pacific Schizophrenia Drugs Market to Expand Significantly
- The schizophrenia drugs market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a significant rate during the forecast period, owing to the presence of generic schizophrenia drugs in most countries and sub-regions of Asia Pacific.
- Loss of patents have substantially increased the sales of generic schizophrenia drugs in the region.
Schizophrenia Drugs Market: Competition Landscape
- The report also provides the profiles of leading players operating in the global schizophrenia drugs market. These include ALLERGAN, Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd., Janssen Global Services, LLC (Johnson & Johnson), Pfizer Inc., Mayne Pharma Group Limited, Vanda Pharmaceuticals Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma Co., Ltd., Eli Lilly & Company, and AstraZeneca.
Schizophrenia Drugs Market: Segmentation
The global schizophrenia drugs market has been segmented on the basis of drug class, route of administration, and region.
- Schizophrenia Drugs Market by Drug Class
- First Generation Drugs
- Second Generation Drugs
- Third Generation Drugs
- Schizophrenia Drugs Market by Route of Administration
- Schizophrenia Drugs Market by Region
- North America
- Rest of the Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- North America
Transparency Market Research is a global market intelligence company, providing global business information reports and services. Our exclusive blend of quantitative forecasting and trends analysis provides forward-looking insight for thousands of decision makers. Our experienced team of analysts, researchers, and consultants use proprietary data sources and various tools and techniques to gather and analyze information.
Our data repository is continuously updated and revised by a team of research experts so that it always reflects the latest trends and information. With a broad research and analysis capability, Transparency Market Research employs rigorous primary and secondary research techniques in developing distinctive data sets and research material for business reports.
Transparency Market Research,
90 Sate Street, Suite 700,
Albany, NY 12207
USA - Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453