Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment: Introduction
- Postpartum depression (PPD) affects some women after giving birth to a baby. Key symptoms are anxiety, changes in sleeping & eating patterns, sadness, low energy, and irritability.
- PPD develops within 4 weeks to 6 weeks after giving birth or could appear after a few months of delivery. It does not affect all pregnant women; however, is seen mostly after 3 months to 6 months of childbirth. This could lead to symptoms affecting psychological behavior such as low mood that lasts for longer than a week, crying, reduced motivation, and feeling of inadequacy.
- Physical changes of pregnancy, complicated or difficult labor, loneliness, a history of mental health problems, and hormonal changes are the other factors contributing to PPD
- Postpartum depression (PPD) treatment includes counseling, help of support groups, and medications
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market Report
Key Drivers of Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market
- The global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market is primarily driven by launch of new products, recent product approvals from regulatory bodies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and increase in awareness about PPD
- In March 2019, the FDA granted approval for Zulresso (brexanolone) injection for the treatment of postpartum depression (PPD) in adult women. The drug is manufactured by Sage Therapeutics, Inc., a pharmaceutical company based in the U.S.
- Additionally, non-government organizations undertake a number of awareness programs for PPD which enable women to gain knowledge about the condition and avoid complications during child birth
Selective Allosteric Modulators of Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid Type A (GABA (A)) Receptor Segment to Capture Significant Market Share
- Based on drug class, the global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market can be classified into selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), and selective allosteric modulators of gamma-aminobutyric acid type A (GABA(A)) receptor
- The selective allosteric modulators of gamma-aminobutyric acid type A (GABA(A)) receptor segment is anticipated to capture significant share of the global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market during the forecast period, owing to launch of branded drugs in this drug class and rise in adoption of new therapies for PPD.
Branded Segment to Account for Major Share of Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market
- In terms of drug type, the global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market can be bifurcated into branded and generics. The branded segment is projected to account for the largest market share due to increase in availability of branded drugs. However, high cost of these drugs is likely to restrain the segment.
Oral Segment to Offer Significant Opportunities in Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market
- Based on route of administration, the global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market can be categorized into oral and intravenous
- The oral segment is expected to account for major share of the global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market by 2027. The segment is projected to be driven by high availability of orally administered drugs in the form of tablets, capsules, and oral solution.
Hospital Pharmacies Segment to Capture Significant Share of Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market
- In terms of distribution channel, the global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. The online pharmacies segment is anticipated to offer significant opportunities, especially in the developed countries in North America and Europe.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market, Ask for a Customized Report
North America to Dominate Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America is expected to dominate the global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market during the forecast period.
- Rise in prevalence of postpartum depression in the U.S. and strengthening R&D efforts by market players are likely to drive the market in North America during the forecast period
- According to the PostpartumDepression.org, 70% to 80% of women in the U.S. are likely to experience postpartum depression
Key Players Operating in Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market
The global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market is highly fragmented, with a large number of domestic players accounting for major market share. Key players operating in the global postpartum depression (PPD) treatment market are:
- Sage Therapeutics
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Sebela Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Mylan N.V.
Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market, by Drug Class
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor (SNRI)
- Selective Allosteric Modulators of Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid type A (GABA(A)) Receptor
Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market, by Drug Type
Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market, by Route of Administration
Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Postpartum Depression (PPD) Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.