Point-of-Care Glucose Testing Market: Introduction
- Point-of-care testing for glucose monitoring is a valuable tool for managing patients with diabetes in the outpatient settings. Coupling of POCT glucose monitoring devices and electronic medical records enable test results to be shared instantly with care providers. Potential operational benefits with more rapid decision making, reduced operating times, and high-dependency boost the market growth of point-of-care glucose testing.
- Increase in prevalence of diabetic patients, rise in preference for home health care across the globe, and technological advancement done by various key players drive the growth in global level. For instance, GlucoTrack, which is manufactured by Integrity Applications (Israel), performs quantification using electromagnetic, ultrasonic, and thermal waves in combination. As per the WHO, number of people with diabetes has risen from 108 million in 1980 to 422 million in 2014. According to a paper published by Massachusetts General Hospital, about 600,000 POC tests per year are performed by physicians and nurses in the institution.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Point-of-Care Glucose Testing Market
- Increase in cases of diabetic patients across the world is expected to fuel the market growth. As per an article published in NCBI in 2017, prevalence of diabetes in the U.S. is likely to increase by 54% which is more than 54.9 million, between 2015 and 2030. According to the International Diabetes Federation, global prevalence of diabetes patients in 2019 was approximately 9.3% (463 million people). It is anticipated to rise to 10.2% (578 million) by 2030 and 10.9% (700 million) by 2045. IDF stats also depict that number of diabetes patients in Europe is likely to rise from approximately 33 million in 2010 to 38 million in 2030.
- Technological innovations that provide early, safe, and accurate results for diagnosis tend to make a serious impact in the market. The advanced technology helps in continually updating the market by bringing on better products. Companies are launching technologically advanced devices for hassle-free testing experience. In 2016, Roche launched Accu-Chek Guide blood glucose monitoring system that offers a new spill-resistant SmartPack vial and a unique strip design with a large easy-edge dosing area.
- Accuracy of tests is one of the restraining factors for the market growth. Often, cases of false negative and false positive tests have been reported. This amounts to misdiagnosis even though these tests have been developed after severe R&D.
Meters to Dominate Global Point-of-Care Glucose Testing Market
- Based on product type, the global point-of-care glucose testing market can be divided into strips, lancets & lancing devices, and meters
- The meters segment generated maximum revenue in 2018. In 2018, approximately 1.26 million units of blood glucose meters were sold in the U.S. alone, up from 960 thousand units sold in 2017.
Fingertip to Lead Global Point-of-Care Glucose Testing Market
- Based on testing site, the global point-of-care glucose testing market can be divided into fingertip and alternate site testing
- Fingertip is expected to dominate the global market in terms of revenue generation. Finger-stick blood samples for blood glucose testing is a traditional way of monitoring the glucose level in patients. However, alternate site testing is expected to grow with the highest CAGR during the forecast period, owing to its various advantages over the traditional one such as less pain and sparing of fingertips.
- Accu-Chek FastClix lancing device which is a product of Roche Diabetes Care, Inc. can be used for both alternate sites and fingertip testing
Homecare Settings Segment to Witness Highest Growth
- Based on end-user, the global point-of-care glucose testing market can be divided into professional diagnostic centers, hospitals & clinics, home care settings, and others
- The home care settings segment dominated the global point-of-care glucose testing market. The segment is expected to grow at the highest rate during the forecast period. Rise in demand for home care settings is due to increased acceptance of home health care, technological advancements, and cost-effective alternatives compared to other modalities.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, Ask for a Customized Report
North America to Dominate Global Point-of-Care Glucose Testing Market
- In terms of region, the global point-of-care glucose testing market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the point-of-care glucose testing market and is expected to lead the market position during the forecast period. Growing prevalence of diabetes and other lifestyle disorders, rise in number of product approvals, and increase in government initiatives in this region boost the market growth in this region. According to the American Diabetes Association, approximately 34.2 million people in the U.S., which is 10.5% of the population, had diabetes in 2018.
- Asia Pacific is expected to grow at the highest CAGR in the forecast period. Growing health care facilities and favorable reimbursement policies in developing economies are likely to fuel the market growth in the region in the near future. As per the International Diabetes Federation, over 114,394,800 cases of diabetes were diagnosed in China in 2017.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global point-of-care glucose testing market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Roche Diabetes Care
- LifeScan IP Holdings, LLC.
- Ascensia Diabetes Care
- Trividia Health
- Nova Biomedical
Point-of-Care Glucose Testing Market: Research Scope
Point-of-Care Glucose Testing Market, by Product Type
- Lancets & Lancing Devices
Point-of-Care Glucose Testing Market, by Testing Site
- Alternate Site Testing
Point-of-Care Glucose Testing Market, by End-user
- Professional Diagnostic Centers
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Home Care settings
- Others (Research labs etc.)
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.