Photodynamic Therapy Market
Photodynamic Therapy Market (Product: Drugs [Porphyrin Derivative (PD), Aminolevulinic Acid (ALA), Chlorines, Others], Devices [Disposable Fiber Optic Light Delivery Devices (DFOLDD), Diode Lasers]; Application: Cancer [Basal Cell Carcinoma, Non-small Cell Lung Cancer, Head & Neck Cancer, Others], Actinic Keratosis (AK), Psoriasis, Acne, Others; End User: Hospitals, Cosmetics & Dermatology Clinics, Cancer Treatment Centers, Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Healthcare Providers Increase their Efficacy in Photodynamic Therapy for Breast Cancer Resistance
New discoveries in photodynamic therapy (PDT) are benefitting cancer patients. As such, it has been found that, PDT is effective in treating multidrug-resistant breast cancer. Dysfunctional DNA repair genes and abnormal signal transduction are some of the major complications associated with breast cancer resistance. Hence, companies in the photodynamic therapy market are becoming increasingly aware about the complications of breast cancer resistance, and increasing the availability of PDT in hospitals and cancer treatment centers.
Cancer is projected to account for the highest revenue amongst all applications in the photodynamic therapy market, with an estimated value of ~US$ 2.3 billion by the end of 2023. This is why, healthcare companies are increasing awareness about PDT amongst breast cancer resistant patients. As such, PDT is being used as an alternative to broad-spectrum antibiotics-based therapy, thus minimizing the incidence of drug resistance. Companies are also increasing R&D to assess PDT-resistant cells to further study the impact of PDT on cellular targets. Healthcare providers are increasing their efficacy in PDT technology to achieve therapeutic relevance in appropriate photosensitizer (PS) level with its retention in the target tissue.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Photodynamic Therapy Market
Dermoscopy Aids in Assessment of ALA Drugs Effective for AK Treatment
Growing incidence of actinic keratosis (AK) have led to innovations in the photodynamic therapy market. Dermoscopy serves as a useful tool for monitoring skin lesions during PDT and follow-up. Healthcare providers in the photodynamic therapy landscape are treating actinic keratosis (AK) patients with aminolevulinic acid (ALA) drugs. ALA agents are increasingly gaining popularity, and are anticipated to account for the highest revenue amongst all drugs in the photodynamic therapy market, with a projected value of ~US$ 4 billion by the end of 2027. Thus, healthcare providers in hospitals and dermatology clinics are offering topical ALA-PDT, since the treatment is widely approved by health commissions across various countries.
Dermoscopic monitoring is being used in tandem with PDT, and serves as a valuable and non-invasive technique, not just for diagnosing AK but also other serious skin diseases. The technique of dermoscopy is very useful for healthcare providers, since it can visualize the morphological structures of the inner layers of the skin that are not visible to the naked eye. Thus, dermoscopy is boosting the growth of the photodynamic therapy market.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Customized Protocol Strategies Deliver Enhanced Clinical Translation
Healthcare providers in the photodynamic therapy market are adopting new strategies to achieve enhanced clinical translation. They are using the approach of customized protocols for the treatment of cancer and other infectious diseases. Companies are developing improved formulations of porphyrin-derivative (PD) compounds. This trend is projected to grow during the forecast period, since PD is projected to account for the second-highest revenue amongst all drugs in the photodynamic therapy market, with an estimated value of ~US$ 3 billion by the end of 2027. Hence, companies are developing intelligent PD molecules that can target specific cells and offer efficient drug delivery.
Companies in the photodynamic therapy market are developing strategies to improve transdermal ALA delivery. They are utilizing high-power CO2 lasers to produce microhole grating. Companies are increasing the production of ALA creams, since the grating procedure is followed by the application of the cream, assisted by ultrasound, to enhance the cream’s penetration into the holes. Another approach, such as the use of a soluble microneedle patch, helps in continuous delivery of ALA until the material is completely dissolved inside the lesion.
Innovative Photodynamic Devices Show the Way for Exponential Growth in Cancer Treatment
The photodynamic therapy and light-based therapy market are maturing at a rapid pace. However, prevailing challenges catering to the delivery of light to the right body part with adequate strength and specificity are likely to impede market growth. Another challenge is that, the photodynamic therapy market is highly consolidated, with only three market players accounting for ~90% of the market share. This makes it challenging for medium- and small-scale players to compete with these major players in the landscape.
In order to overcome the challenges of light delivery, companies are increasing their production capabilities to improve the efficacy of novel delivery systems in photodynamic therapy. To achieve the intended therapeutic effect on the target, small- and medium-scale players are increasing R&D to develop wirelessly-powered light-emitting devices that improve the specificity of light-based cancer therapy. Innovations in devices have facilitated the treatment for hard-to-detect microtumors and deeply-located lesions. Photodynamic devices are increasingly meeting the needs of cancer patients due to the availability of devices that do not require surgical suturing.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Analysts’ ViewpointPhosistos protocol involving new light-emitting devices are gaining popularity for the effective treatment of actinic keratosis. Companies in the photodynamic therapy market are also gaining a strong hold though inorganic strategies such as label extensions. For instance, in September 2019, Biofrontera - a leading biopharmaceutical company, announced label extension for Ameluz(R) - an ALA used for the treatment of mild and moderate actinic keratosis in PDT.
However, prevalent challenges in drug-resistant breast cancer treatment, such as blood vessel occlusion, collapse, and ultimate vascular shutdown, pose as a challenge in PDT. Thus, companies should increase research efforts to evaluate the advantages of photochemical internalization to facilitate the cytosolic delivery of macromolecular drugs to combat multidrug-resistant breast cancer.
Global Photodynamic Therapy Market: Overview
- This report analyzes the current scenario and future growth prospects of the global photodynamic therapy market. High prevalence and increase in the incidence of cancer, increase in the number of clinical trials, and rapidly growing bio-pharmaceutical industry are key factors that are projected to drive the global photodynamic therapy market during the forecast period.
- An article published by Soligenix (2019) states that, the company has conducted clinical research with SGX301 for the treatment of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (CTCL). Fluorescent-light-activated synthetic hypericin is undergoing the pivotal Phase-3 trial in the U.S.
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT) has received clinical approval for use as a minimally-invasive therapeutic procedure, and it has been widely applied in the diagnosis and treatment of malignancies, including lung, esophageal, gastrointestinal, bladder, prostate, head & neck, and oral & skin cancer.
- Rise in the prevalence of skin disorders and cancer, surge in the demand for minimally-invasive procedures, and increase in economic burden of cancer are anticipated to drive the global photodynamic therapy market during the forecast period.
- The global photodynamic therapy market was valued at ~US$ 3 Bn in 2018, and is anticipated to reach ~US$ 11.8 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~17% from 2019 to 2027.
- North America and Europe were major markets for photodynamic therapy in 2018.
- The photodynamic therapy market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a high CAGR of ~18% during the forecast period.
Global Photodynamic Therapy Market: Key Segments
- In terms of product, the global photodynamic therapy market has been segmented into drugs and devices. The drugs segment has been sub-divided into porphyrin derivative (PD), aminolevulinic acid (ALA), chlorines and others. The porphyrin derivative (PD) segment is further divided into hematoporphyrin derivative (HpD), benzoporphyrin derivative (BPD), texaphyrins, and others. The devices segment is further divided into disposable fiber optic light delivery devices (DFOLDD) and diode laser. The drugs segment accounted for a major market share in 2018.
- Based on application, the global photodynamic therapy market has been segmented into cancer, actinic keratosis (AK), psoriasis, acne, and others. The cancer segment has been sub-divided into basal cell carcinoma, non-small cell lung cancer, head & neck cancer, and others. The cancer segment held a major share of the global photodynamic therapy market in 2018, and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period.
- According to the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), head & neck cancer accounted for nearly 4% of all cancers in the U.S. in 2017. The report indicated that, approximately 65,000 individuals in the country would develop head & neck cancer in 2019.
- In terms of end user, the global photodynamic therapy market has been classified into hospitals, cosmetics & dermatology clinics, cancer treatment centers, and others. The hospitals segment accounted for a major market share in 2018.
- Market size and forecast for each of these segments of the global photodynamic therapy market have been provided for the period from 2017 to 2027. The CAGRs of the respective segments have also been provided for the period from 2019 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year.
Global Photodynamic Therapy Market: Winning Imperatives
Approval of New Biologics for Photodynamic Therapy
- The approval of new biologics by regulatory authorities in developed as well as developing countries has enabled patients to gain access to new treatment options. A large number of pharmaceutical companies operating in the global photodynamic therapy market have received approval from the Food & Drug Administration (FDA), the European Commission, and China FDA. Some of the major drug approvals are as follows:
- In May 2016, Biofrotera AG received FDA approval for use of its combination topical prescription drug called Ameluz and medical device called BF-RhodoLED for PDT in the treatment of mild-to-moderate actinic keratosis (AK) on the face and the scalp.
- In November 2016, Biofrontera AG received approval from the European Commission for Ameluz.
Rapidly Growing Biopharmaceutical Industry in Developing Economies
- The pharmaceutical industry in developing economies has evolved significantly over the last few years, with increasing focus on research activities by government and private research institutes, growth in efforts toward the development of innovative pharmaceutical solutions, and rising focus on offering cost-effective therapeutic options for the treatment of various ailments.
- According to a report by India Brand Equity Foundation, the biotechnology industry in India, which comprises bio-pharmaceutical, bio-agriculture, bio-services, and bioinformatics, is likely to expand at an average growth rate of 22% from 2017 to 2025, to reach value of US$ 100 Bn by 2025.
Global Photodynamic Therapy Market: Competition
- Key players in the global photodynamic therapy market have been profiled based on attributes such as company overview, product portfolio, financial overview, recent developments, and competitive business strategies.
- Major companies profiled in the global photodynamic therapy market report are -
- Biofrontera AG
- Theralase Technologies Inc.
- Quest PharmaTech Inc.
- Modulight, Inc.
- Galderma Laboratories L.P. (Nestlé)
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- SUS Advancing Technology Co., Ltd.
- In April 2018, Biofrontera AG launched Ameluz in combination with daylight-PDT.
- In August 2017, Biofrontera AG launched Ameluz and BF-RhodoLED in the market in Israel by partnering with Perrigo.
- In October 2016, Biofrontera AG launched AMELUZ gel (10%) and BF-RhodoLED lamp in the U.S. market.
- In January 2015, Modulight, Inc. launched the ML7710 laser platform. The device has various applications such as photoimmunotherapy, photodynamic therapy, surgical, dentistry, photo disinfection, aesthetic, vein treatment, and hyperthermia of tumors.
Photodynamic Therapy Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global photodynamic therapy market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights for the said market during the forecast period, i.e. from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global photodynamic therapy market for the 2017 - 2027 period, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global photodynamic therapy market for the same period.
The report has been prepared after extensive research. Primary research involves bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts have conducted interviews with market leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global photodynamic therapy market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources and statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have also employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approaches, to study various phenomena in the global photodynamic therapy market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary along with a snapshot of the growth pattern of various market segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competition dynamics in the global photodynamic therapy market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as new players interested in entering the global photodynamic therapy market. The next section of the report highlights the USPs, which include epidemiology of skin disorders, regulatory scenario assessment, technological advancements, major diseases treated by photodynamic therapy such as cancer, patent landscape summary, and list of major companies operating in the global photodynamic therapy market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global photodynamic therapy market. Key players operating in the global photodynamic therapy market have been identified, and each one of them has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players operating in the global photodynamic therapy market profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Report on Global Photodynamic Therapy Market
- What are the major driving factors, restraining factors, opportunities for the global photodynamic therapy market?
- What would be the revenue share projection of key segments of the global photodynamic therapy market during the forecast period?
- Which segment is likely to lead the global photodynamic therapy market in terms of revenue from 2019 and 2027?
- How mergers and acquisitions among players are widening the scope for the global photodynamic therapy market?
- What is the market position of different companies operating in the global photodynamic therapy market?
Global Photodynamic Therapy Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global photodynamic therapy market begins with an overview of the market, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives of this study and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the global photodynamic therapy market. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the global photodynamic therapy market, which includes TMR’s analysis of the market drivers, restraints, and trends pertaining to the global photodynamic therapy market. Furthermore, in order to understand the Y-o-Y growth trend of the global photodynamic therapy market, Y-o-Y growth analysis with elaborated insights on the same have been provided.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Global Photodynamic Therapy Market - Segmentation
Actinic Keratosis (AK)
Cosmetics & Dermatology Clinics
Cancer Treatment Centers
Middle East & Africa