Packaging Primers Market
Packaging Primers Market (Primer: Water-based Coatings, Solvent-based Coatings, and Other Coatings; and Application: Film Makers (Pre-converting Step), Aluminum Makers (Pre-converting Step), Paper Makers & Coaters (Pre-converting Step), and Film, Aluminum & Paper Converting (Converting Step = Lamination) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020-2028
Press Release :
Webinars Help Assess COVID-19 Domino Effect in Packaging Applications
Stakeholders in the packaging primers market have been consistently monitoring the effects of the coronavirus pandemic on the packaging industry, thereby providing avenues to keep parties informed. PMMI, the Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, has been conducting webinars to establish communication among consumer packaged goods companies, industry experts, and original equipment manufacturers to discuss the virus’ effect on packaging throughout the supply chain.
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused the domino effect on the packaging primers market, where the impact on packaging machinery manufacturers disrupts other packaging activities such as filling, assembling, and even primer applications. Stakeholders are witnessing a slowdown in revenue generation, since packaging of non-essential products is continuing in a staggered manner. Nevertheless, COVID-19 vaccines are helping to revive the growth of the packaging primers market.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Packaging Primers Market
Recyclable Delamination Primers Omit Drawbacks of Conventional Materials
The packaging industry is constantly taking efforts to improve the performance of food packaging systems with the help of multilayers and primers. However, recycling companies find it potentially difficult to recycle such materials, which has triggered the demand for sustainable multilayers and primers. Siegwerk is capitalizing on this opportunity to develop proprietary de-inking and the delamination primer technology that facilitates recycling of coatings.
Companies in the packaging primers market are developing recyclable delamination primers, which enable the separation of laminated structures in their individual film layers with the help of hot washing step in the recycling stream. This explains why the packaging primers market is estimated to expand 1.4 times the current market value by the end of 2028.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Water-based Extrusion Lamination Primers Adopt Wide Variety of Accepting Substrates
Companies in the packaging primers market are innovating in water-based coatings. Aqua Based Technologies - a manufacturer of environmentally safe water-based coatings and primers is acquiring recognition for its top performing extrusion laminating primers such as Aquaforte® 108W and Polaqua® 710. Manufacturers are increasing the availability for primers that are compatible with the aluminum foil. They are boosting R&D efforts to increase the bond strength of lamination primers that adhere to films and metals with only small application quantities.
Water-based extrusion lamination primers are being developed to be used for PE & PP films, foil and paper, and other accepting substrates. Stakeholders in the packaging primers market are increasing the application of these primers for the ever-increasing flexible packaging industry.
Delivery of Substrate Enhancement with Water-based Primers Being Preferred by Packagers
Innovations in functional packaging coatings are translating into business opportunities for manufacturers in the packaging primers market. BASF is being highly publicized for its water-based emulsions for primers and lacquers that are gaining visibility in aluminum dairy pot lidding applications. Manufacturers are boosting their output capacities to increase the availability of primers that deliver substrate enhancement, and that are meant for paper for use in premetallization and digital applications.
Water-based coatings are relatively cost-efficient as compared to their solvent-based counterparts. Companies in the packaging primers market are innovating in pre-print primers for hard and soft aluminum to offer excellent heat resistance.
Innovations in Print-primers for Aluminum Yogurt Lidding Offer Heat, Chemical Resistance
Permanent metallization applications have fueled the demand for packaging primers. Chemline - an Indian manufacturer of premium adhesives and coatings is expanding its product portfolio in primer coatings meant for PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) and paper for permanent metallization. Manufacturers in the packaging primers market are producing primer coatings that enable MET-PET (Metalized Polyester) films to print UV (ultraviolet) ink over its surface.
Innovations in print-primers for aluminum yogurt lidding for heat and chemical resistance are contributing to the growth of the packaging primers market. Companies are experimenting with numerous additives to improve the print quality of primers. Michelman is gaining popularity for developing multi-functional coatings that are replacing unrecyclable, complex, and costly multi-layer structures.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Packaging Primers Market
Manufacturers are boosting their local production volumes, since the international trade is experiencing hiccups amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The packaging primers market is projected to advance at a modest CAGR of 4.5% during the assessment period. This is evident since there is a lack of innovations in sustainable and recyclable primers. Hence, manufacturers should innovate in water-based extrusion lamination primers that are recyclable, and offer a colorless film layer that can be instantly reused for producing new high-quality plastic materials. Companies are expanding their business avenues in digital print primers that are designed for converters, printers, and paper mills.
Packaging Primers Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the global packaging primers market for the historical period of 2015-2019 and forecast period of 2020-2028, the market is anticipated to be driven by remarkable consumption and production growth, resulting from the rapid retail and eCommerce development across various regions of the globe
- The global packaging primers market is expected to clock a CAGR of 4.5% during the forecast period. Packaging primers add superior dimensional stability and better surface for high-end printing in the films and paper, thereby increasing consumption at the global level. This has resulted in the significant demand for packaging primers globally.
Printing and Litho Lamination on Packaging Primers for Brand Awareness Driving Packaging Primers Market
- Litho lamination involves of a sole sheet of paper that is laminated on the corrugated boxes and other secondary packaging products. Branding is considered as an important aspect in the food & beverages and cosmetics industries. Litho lamination is one of the most suitable alternatives for branding, and is a basic requirement to establish brand image in the market.
- Coated papers provide a great potential for litho lamination printing, as they are in the high demand by end-use industries such as food & beverages, cosmetics, and electrical & electronics, many of which require customized packaging solutions. With suitable processing, paper can stand out with its additional printing and protective properties. These properties are incorporated directly in the production of functional and barrier coated paper while printing.
- Digital printing has expanded the scope for brands to engage with their target audiences. Brand owners are also adopting the digital printing technology for branding their respective products. The inkjet technology supports a diverse range of substrates with more advanced features. Furthermore, digital printing also provides an aesthetic look for coated paper & paperboard.
Increasing Pressure on Raw Material Prices and Recyclability Issues Hinder Market Growth
- As the packaging primers market in North America as well as Europe is moving toward solidification, pricing burden has started to build up narrowing the profit limits of manufacturers. Moreover, both the petroleum & non-petroleum-based raw materials contribute for the foremost share of the total cost of solvent-based coatings, and wax and poly coatings.
- Manufactures are facing challenges with recyclability in the flexible packaging segment. According to the Flexible Packaging Association, among materials used for multilayer pouches in the U.S., a major share is of multilayer pouches composed of coating & laminated multiple materials. Conversely, post-consumer pouches that are with multilayer coatings cannot be recycled easily.
- Besides this, recycling of coated papers becomes difficult in terms of segregation and recovery of material. Poor high-tech developments in terms of material reclamation restrict the overall scope of recycling practices at a profitable scale. All these aspects to a large extent are likely to hamper the growth of the packaging primers market.
Packaging Primers Market: Key Findings
- In terms of primer, solvent-based coatings remains prominent segment in the global market. The segment is estimated to hold around 3/5th of the market share during the forecast period.
- Film, aluminum, & paper converters are top end users of packaging primers. Solvent-based and poly coatings play important in the converting stages in order to maintain end-use application requirements such as attractive package look, high product finish, preserving barrier properties, and others. The segment is anticipated to hold ~42% of the market share by the end of 2021.
- Asia Pacific is expected to account for around 35% of the global market value share by 2028, and is projected to witness substantial growth during the forecast period. The region has high penetration of solvent-based coatings and is projected to clock a CAGR of 6.6% during the forecast period.
Packaging Primers Market: Competition Landscape
- TMR studied that the global packaging primers market is highly competitive for new players, owing to the highly established existing players operating in the market. This rivalry among key players is carefully studied based on developments, strategies, and segmental revenue of the companies over the past five years.
- In the recent study of packaging primers market, the TMR team included profiles of leading players. This includes
- The Sherwin-Williams Company
- PPG Industries, Inc.
- Axalta Coating Systems
- ACTEGA Terra GmbH
- Akzo Nobel N.V.
- DIC Corporation
- BASF SE
- Aqua Based Technologies
- National Paints Factories Co. Ltd.
- KANGNAM JEVISCO CO., LTD.
- Paramelt B.V., Michelman, Inc.
- Mica Corporation
- S-One Holdings Corporation
- Coim Group
- among others.
- TMR differentiated these players as Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 as per their segmental earnings. Among these players, The Sherwin-Williams Company, PPG Industries, Inc., and Akzo Nobel N.V. are identified as Tier 1 players. In 2019, these companies hold a cumulative market share of ~25-30%. The Tier 2 players are Axalta Coating Systems, DIC Corporation, Coim Group, BASF SE, and other major players. Tier 3 players are Paramelt B.V., KANGNAM JEVISCO CO., LTD., Mica Corporation, Michelman, Inc., and several other players from across the globe.
COVID-19 to Slow Down Growth Opportunities for Packaging Primers Market
- Post COVID-19, the global packaging primers market is expected to decline in 2020 with a year-on-year growth rate of nearly -0.6% from 4.9% in 2019. This forecast is as per the ongoing obstacles in the expansion of key end-use industries, including beverages, food, cosmetics, retail, etc., which are the biggest consumer of packaging primers.
- This is mainly due to disruptions in supply chain network, product management, restrictions on trading activities across the globe, and continuously changing monetary conditions and rates in many countries amid the pandemic
- According to the TMR analysis, the packaging primers market is expected to gain momentum among end users 2021 onward, due to increased demand from the food & beverage cans industry. Besides this, improved planning and decisions by regulatory authorities and key players is also anticipated to gain motion.
Packaging Primers Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research (TMR) started a new study on the global packaging primers market, providing forecast for the period of 2020-2028. In the study, growth opportunity for the packaging primers market is witnessed. The report provides valuable insights, which enable readers to make winning business decisions for future growth of their businesses. The report highlights significant factors that are constantly determining the growth of the packaging primers market, untapped opportunities for manufacturers, trends and developments, and other insights across various key segments. Macroeconomic factors that are directly or indirectly affecting market growth are also incorporated in the report.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Packaging Primers Market Report
- What will be market size of packaging primers by the end of 2028?
- What will be the impact of COVID-19 on packaging primers market?
- Which type of coating is expected to be most preferred for packaging primers? What was its market size in 2019?
- Which region will remain most lucrative for market growth?
- Which are the top five countries of packaging primers market?
- Which application holds maximum market share in the global packaging primers market?
- Who are major key players in the packaging primers market?
Key indicators associated with the packaging primers market have been calculated thoroughly in the report. The study enumerates vital market dynamics such as key drivers, challenges, and trends, along with opportunities in the global packaging primers market. A comprehensive study on the value chain, which includes component suppliers, manufacturers, distributors, and end users have been incorporated in the global market report. Other key aspects laid down in the market include pricing strategy of leading market players and comparative analysis of packaging primers. Furthermore, forecast factors, and forecast scenarios of the packaging primers market have been covered in the report to understand future prospects of the market.
A comprehensive evaluation and forecast on the packaging primers market are provided based on primer, application, and region.
Y-o-Y growth comparison, volume and revenue comparison, and market share comparison of various market segments are provided in the report. The packaging primers market is analyzed at both regional and country levels.
The report delivers an exhaustive assessment on the structure of the packaging primers market in tandem with a dashboard view of all leading company profiles in the report. Every company’s share analysis on market players has also been presented in the report, apart from the footprint matrix of profiled market players. The report depicts the presence of packaging primers manufacturers by leveraging the intensity map. It also highlights key end users for packaging primers.
The report includes company overview of key players. Some of the key companies profiled in the packaging primers market report include The Sherwin-Williams Company, PPG Industries, Inc., Axalta Coating Systems, ACTEGA Terra GmbH, Akzo Nobel N.V., DIC Corporation, BASF SE, Aqua Based Technologies, National Paints Factories Co. Ltd., KANGNAM JEVISCO CO., LTD., Paramelt B.V., Michelman, Inc., Mica Corporation, S-One Holdings Corporation, and Coim Group among others.
A realistic methodology, along with a holistic approach makes the base for sharp insights, which are provided in the packaging primers market for the study evaluation period. The TMR report comprises of detailed information on growth prospects, along with riveting insights into the forecast assessment of the market.
Extensive primary and secondary researches have been employed to garner keen insights into the forecast study of the packaging primers market. The report has further undergone a cross-validation by in-house professionals to make the packaging primers market report one-of-its-kind with the highest credibility.
Packaging Primers Market - Segmentation
The global packaging primers market has been classified on the basis of primer, application, and region. Each of these segments is analyzed to provide readers with holistic view of the market.