Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market
Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market (Navigation Technology: Electromagnetic, Optical, Fluoroscopy, MRI, and Others; Application: Knee Surgery, Spine Surgery, Hip Surgery, Replacement Surgeries, and Others; and End User: Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
Advancements in Technology Proves Propitious for Navigating Orthopedic Treatment
The orthopedic navigation systems were initially used in orthopedic spinal surgery more than a decade ago to improve the efficiency of pedicle screw insertion. Since then, it has gained broad recognition among orthopedic surgeons, and has become an invaluable tool for some orthopedic procedures, such as reconstructive hip and knee, sports injury, trauma, spine, and tumor surgery. Presently, orthopedic navigation systems are designed to offer surgeons real-time feedback on the surgical field, enabling them to adjust the surgical technique to improve postoperative outcomes and decrease intraoperative errors. Moreover, conventional and regular traditional techniques can lack accuracy, precision, and reproducibility. Thus, the need for the development of a novel orthopedic navigation system has increased. This is likely to increase the growth rate for the global orthopedic navigation systems market.
The orthopedic navigation systems market is primarily driven by factors such as increasing adoption of minimally invasive surgical procedures, rising number of mergers and acquisitions among market players, and increasing incidence of orthopedic and neurological disorders. Additionally, increasing government funding initiatives for research and development activities for surgical navigation systems are also contributing as an incentive for the growth of this market. However, the high cost of surgical navigation systems and product recalls are likely to create a negative impact on the growth of the orthopedic navigation systems market.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market
COVID-19 Impact: Delay in Several Treatments Hampered Demand for Computer-assisted Navigation Systems
The coronavirus disease of 2019 (COVID-19) has impacted several industries around the world, with global restrictions for supply chain and trade. The COVID-19 pandemic has led to many cases of this contagious disease, varying in severity from extremely mild to life threatening. Concerns about developing the infection have decreased outpatient visits with healthcare providers. Even without symptoms, patients are sometimes required to demonstrate negative test results for COVID-19 before they are allowed to undergo certain surgical procedures. Moreover, the government implemented lockdowns resulted in a lack of resources in hospitals that may face a sudden patient influx resulting in the removal of elective procedures and reorganization of ICU beds.
In addition, as the risk of infectious spread among patients and healthcare providers is high, several treatments were delayed or cancelled to ensure patient and staff safety. However, the use of surgical robots to efficiently face these challenges and perform time-efficient surgery over extensive operative hours and minimize infectious spread was increased. Presently, as the pandemic is nearing its end in most countries, the hospital industry is expected to witness an increasing number of cases that were delayed or postponed amidst the pandemic. This is most likely to fuel the growth of the orthopedic navigation systems market during the forecast period.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Maturing Life Cycle, Limited Span Restricts Growth of Navigation Systems
Businesses are focusing on increasing awareness among healthcare professionals and patients about the usage and benefits of orthopedic navigation systems. Producers of surgical navigation systems in advanced countries have begun to reach local areas by offering Continual Medical Education (CME) classes. This leads to an increase in consciousness among physicians and specialists about the availability and practice of orthopedic navigation systems. Moreover, commercially available orthopedic navigation systems have a six to seven-year warranty, making the product sales cycle seven years. Thus, with the growing need for technological assistance for orthopedic treatments, the orthopedic navigation systems market is expected to grow during the forecast period.
Currently, several newer technologies are expected to enter the market in the shortcoming future. Hence, hospitals are more likely to look for a better alternative in the next seven years. Thus, hospitals avoid the repeated purchase of an orthopedic navigation system. Thus, manufacturers of orthopedic navigation systems are incapable to reach new customers, which is hampering the market growth. Currently, the orthopedic navigation systems market has matured in North America and Europe. Hence, businesses in these regions are unable to maintain themselves in the competitive market. However, the global orthopedic navigation systems market is projected to expand at a CAGR of 4.3% from 2021 to 2031.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market
The nature of orthopedic navigation systems, i.e., one-time purchase commodity and expensive equipment are restraining the orthopedic navigation systems market. Technologically, the optical navigation systems have advantages over EM systems such as reduced radiation exposure and accuracy provided during complex surgeries, which enable surgeons to navigate properly through a patient’s anatomy. North America is most likely to dominate the global orthopedic navigation systems market during the forecast period.
Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market: Overview
- Orthopedic navigation systems are being developed with the goal of analyzing pre-, intra-, and/or postoperative data in numerous modalities and providing an augmented reality 3-D visualization environment to enhance surgical orthopedic operation clinical results
- Modern orthopedic navigation systems enable surgeons to make accurate judgments in the operating room by combining surgical planning, tool tracking, and intraoperative imaging; however, an active research field still provides orthopedists with a variety of technological disciplines. For instance, researchers are using medical imaging, computer science, sensor technologies, and robotics to improve existing orthopedic navigation techniques and systems.
- Rise in adoption of minimally invasive surgeries and increase in usage of navigation software by physicians and surgeons due to the availability of cost-effective solutions and higher awareness are projected to drive the global orthopedic navigation systems market.
- Image-guided surgery systems, also known as computer-assisted navigation systems or orthopedic navigation systems, combine intra-operative execution and pre-operative planning information by displaying three-dimensional computer pictures in relative patient anatomy
- Computer workstation with surgical planning and image-processing software, a display monitor, and a digitizing system comprise these image-guided surgery systems
- The surgeon can use computer software to measure angles, volumes, and distances as well as zoom and rotate them. This aids in the determination of cutting planes and implant placement. Knee, hip, spine, joint, and shoulder replacement operations all employ orthopedic navigation systems. These navigation systems can be utilized in total knee arthroplasty, revision total knee arthroplasty, kinematic assessment, and uni-compartmental arthroplasty procedures. These systems can be utilized in complete hip arthroplasty in the case of hip operations. Degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, fractures, and spondylolisthesis can all be treated with orthopedic navigation systems during spine operations.
- Rise in prevalence of minimally invasive surgeries is expected to drive the demand for orthopedic navigation systems. Demand for orthopedic navigation system is expected to increase further due to a rise in incidence of osteoarthritis and new products and device development in the field of orthopedic navigation systems.
Increasing Product Launches and Approvals
- Product launch strategies are aimed to boost revenue. In March 2017, Siemens Healthineers launched Acuson Freestyle Elite ultrasound system, which can be combined with the Artis angiography systems to enable a fast and easy-to-use ultrasound guidance during interventional procedures. It has increased the commercial opportunity for the company. In January 2021, DePuy Synthes received 510(k) FDA clearance for VELYS robotic-assisted solution designed for use with the ATTUNE total knee system. Rising numbers of product approvals are expected to drive the market during the forecast period. Moreover, in February 2021, Brainlab received FDA clearance for both Loop-X Mobile Imaging Robot and Cirq, a robotic surgical system. Following the CE mark approval, the FDA’s clearance paved the way for Brainlab to enter the U.S market with the Cirq robotic alignment module for spine procedures, and Loop-X, the first fully robotic intraoperative imaging device on the market.
Market Segmentation: Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market
- In terms of navigation technology, the global orthopedic navigation systems market has been bifurcated into electromagnetic, optical, fluoroscopy, MRI, and others
- In terms of application, the global orthopedic navigation systems market has been bifurcated into knee surgery, spine surgery, hip surgery, replacement surgeries, and others
- Based on end user, the global orthopedic navigation systems market has been categorized into hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, and others
- Each of the segments has been analyzed in detail for orthopedic navigation systems trends, recent trends & developments, drivers, restraints, opportunities, and useful insights. The orthopedic navigation systems market report provides current and future revenue (US$ Mn) for each of these segments for the period from 2017 to 2031, considering 2020 as the base year. The compound annual growth rate (% CAGR) has been provided for each segment and market from 2021 to 2031 along with market size estimations.
Regional Overview: Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market
- In terms of region, the global orthopedic navigation systems market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The regions have been divided into major countries and sub-regions.
- North America accounted for a prominent share of the global market for orthopedic navigation systems in 2020. North America is expected to retain its market share during the forecast period. Expansion of the orthopedic navigation systems market in North America can be primarily ascribed to the high rate of incidence of osteoarthritis in countries, and technological advancements in the U.S and Canada. For instance, the 2019 American Joint Replacement Registry Annual Report represented 1,525,435 primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty procedures performed between 2012 and 2018. Primary knee (55.1%) and primary hip (33.1%) procedures made up the majority. The average age of a hip arthroplasty patient was 67.4 years and 66.7 years for all knee cases, which shows the patient population in North America.
- Asia Pacific is likely to gain market share during the forecast period. Product launches, acquisitions, distribution agreements, alliances, and geographical expansion by local players, especially in China and India, are expected to drive the orthopedic navigation systems market in the region. Demand for orthopedic navigation systems is also driven by the various strategic investments and the launch of orthopedic navigation systems by major companies in the region.
- In December 2016, Amplitude Surgical, a leading player on the global surgical technology market for lower-limb orthopedics acquired a 50% stake in SOFAB Orthopédie, a longstanding strategic industrial subcontractor. The strategic investment aimed at consolidating their industrial base and supply chain within a context of the pursuance of their buoyant business growth.
- The current and future market sizes in terms of value (US$ Mn) of these regional markets and major countries have been provided in the report for the period from 2017 to 2031, along with their CAGRs for the period from 2021 to 2031
- The study also offers a list of recommendations, highlights, and useful insights of the market, which are estimated to help new companies willing to enter the market and existing companies to increase market share and in the decision-making process.
- The report concludes with the company profiles section that includes key information about the major players in the global orthopedic navigation systems market
- Leading players analyzed in the report are
- B. Braun Melsungen AG.
- Amplitude SAS
- DePuy Synthes (Johnson & Johnson)
- Fiagon (Intersect ENT, INC.)
- GE Healthcare
- Intellijoint Surgical
- Karl Storz GmbH & Co. KG
- MicroPort Scientific Corporation
- Orthokey Italia SRL
- Stryker Corporation
- Siemens Healthineers
- Zimmer Biomet
- Each of these players has been profiled in the report based on parameters such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, product portfolio, business segments, and recent developments
Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market – Scope of Report
TMR’s report on the global orthopedic navigation systems market studies the past as well as the current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2021 to 2031. The report provides the revenue of the global orthopedic navigation systems market for the period of 2017–2031, considering 2020 as the base year and 2031 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) of the global orthopedic navigation systems market from 2021 to 2031.
The report has been prepared after extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global orthopedic navigation systems market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various attributes of the global orthopedic navigation systems market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global orthopedic navigation systems market. These serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as entities interested in participating in the global orthopedic navigation systems market.
The report also delves into the competitive landscape of the global orthopedic navigation systems market. Key players operating in the global orthopedic navigation systems market have been identified and each one of these has been profiled in terms of various attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are attributes of players in the global orthopedic navigation systems market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Orthopedic Navigation Systems Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by orthopedic navigation systems providers across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the global orthopedic navigation systems market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the global market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which end user segment is expected to generate the highest revenue globally in 2031? Which segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What are the market positions of different companies operating in the global market?
Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global orthopedic navigation systems market begins with an overview, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study and key vendors and distributors operating in the market and regulatory scenario for approval of end users.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into smaller ones. The report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that have been appropriately interspersed. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the global orthopedic navigation systems market in terms of navigation technology, application, end user, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2031 has been provided. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders to make informed business decisions for investment in the global orthopedic navigation systems market.
Orthopedic Navigation Systems Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global orthopedic navigation systems market includes information divided into four segments: navigation technology, application, end user, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global orthopedic navigation systems market have been discussed in detail.