Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market
Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market (Drug Class: Calcineurin Inhibitors, Antiproliferative Agents, mTOR Inhibitors, Antibodies, and Steroids; Transplant Type: Kidney Transplant, Bone Marrow Transplant, Liver Transplant, Heart Transplant, Lung Transplant, and Other Transplants; and Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Drug Companies Focus on Improving Long-term Outcome of New Drugs
Technological advancements in the past few decades have introduced new and innovative treatments for a range of health problems. The advent of organ transplants is one of the most revolutionary developments in the medical space, and attained a considerable amount of acceptance and popularity worldwide. However, while organ transplant has its own share of benefits, it also has the potential to negatively impact the immune system of the recipient due to which, organ transplant rejection medications have come under the spotlight. Immunologists and other stakeholders in the current value chain of the organ transplant rejection medications market are continually investing resources to assess the adaptive responses to solid organ transplantation.
As these studies continue to grow in number, they have played an imperative role in the development of new immunosuppressive drugs– a factor that is likely to aid the growth of the organ transplant rejection medications market during the forecast period (2020-2027). The demand for organ transplant rejection medications is witnessing considerable growth, as these drugs have enhanced short-term graft survival and minimized the rate of acute organ transplant rejection. Despite offering favorable short-term results, stakeholders in the current market landscape are expected to concentrate on improving the long-term outcome of these drugs. The global organ transplant rejection medications market is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 6.3 Bn by the end of the forecast period.
Calcineurin Inhibitors to Remain Most Popular Drug Class
The organ transplant rejection medications market is predominantly dominated by kidney transplants, as the number of kidney transplants continues to outnumber other types of organ transplants such as bone marrow transplant, heart transplant, liver transplant, lung transplant, etc. Over the past few years, studies and research activities have focused on assessing the impact of the various organ transplant rejection medications employed post kidney transplantation, including calcineurin inhibitors, mTOR inhibitors, steroids, and antibodies.
In the current scenario, calcineurin inhibitors, including cyclosporine and tacrolimus, are some of the most used organ transplantation rejection medications. In addition, as calcineurin inhibitors hinder the secretion of cytokines and presentation of antigens within the innate immune cells, they curb the T cell priming capacity. These factors play a critical role in the pathogenesis of acute rejection. Stakeholders and drug companies are expected to find new immunosuppressive drugs that will eliminate the long-term negative effects put forward by traditional organ transplant rejection drugs.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Development of New Immunosuppressive Drugs to Influence Market Growth
Since the inception of solid organ transplantation, the organ transplant rejection medications market has witnessed innovations and developments. The development of new drugs has reduced graft rejection and improved survival by a considerable margin. The development of new organ transplant rejection medications started to gain considerable amount of traction in the 1990s, and these drugs have laid a solid foundation for the development of new drugs in the current era. Drug manufacturers in the organ transplant rejection medications market are primarily focusing on finding solutions to enhance long-term graft survival and minimize the burden of side-effects. In 2011, belatacept exhibited strong potential for biological non-nephrotoxic maintenance immunosuppression. Moreover, belatacept also offered tremendous promise in long-term graft survival. However, due to the fear of rejection, insufficient availability, high costs, and a dearth of supporting data, the adoption of belatacept took a beating due to which, the demand for the existing tacrolimus continued to grow at a significant pace.
Due to various factors, the development of new organ transplant rejection medications hit a roadblock post the approval of belatacept. However, in the current scenario, clinical trials of other compounds, including CFZ533 is in progress, which could provide a much-needed breakthrough for kidney transplantation. In addition, apart from the classical development of new organ transplant rejection medications, several companies in the organ transplant rejection medications market are likely to invest a significant amount of resources on the development of new cell therapies, which could possibly replace conventional organ transplant rejection medications in the years to come.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The global organ transplant rejection medications market is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~3% during the forecast period. The market growth can be primarily attributed to research and development activities that are expected to enhance the immune responses to solid organ transplantation. In addition, stakeholders in the current market landscape should focus on improving long-term graft survival and minimize the rate of acute rejection. As kidney transplants are set to remain the most common organ transplantation procedure, research activities will primarily focus on the production of new drugs that improve the success of kidney transplantation. Attaining FDA approval should remain priority for the companies in the organ transplant rejection medications market during the assessment period.
Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the organ transplant rejection medications market for the historical period of 2017–2018 and forecast period of 2019–2027, high prevalence and increase in incidence of several acute and chronic disorders worldwide are anticipated to drive the global organ transplant rejection medications market
- According to the report, the global organ transplant rejection medications market was valued at ~US$ 4.7 Bn in 2018. The organ transplant rejection medications market is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~3% from 2019 to 2027.
High Patient Population and Rise in Geriatric Population to Propel Market: A Key Driver
- Increase in incidence of chronic diseases of liver, heart, kidneys, and pancreas and blood disorders such as leukemia and aplastic anemia have augmented the demand for organ transplants or replacements
- Rise in geriatric population directly affects the demand for organ transplants, primarily due to the higher susceptibility to kidney and heart diseases among this population
- Therefore, rise in incidence of chronic diseases and increase in geriatric population across the globe are fueling the organ transplant rejection medications market
Rise in Healthcare Spending & Improvement in Healthcare Infrastructure
- Increase in patient awareness about personal health boosts the demand for medical devices. Patients are more aware and proactive about their health and are willing to seek a physician's advice at an early stage.
- Increase in per capita disposable income is encouraging people to spend more on healthcare facilities, which, in turn, propels the global organ transplant rejection medications market. Advertisements have increased public visibility of new technology, thereby generating interest among chronic patients.
- Changing demographics in emerging economies such as China, India, Brazil, and South Africa are expected to provide significant opportunities for organ transplants
- Public and private healthcare expenditure is expected to increase in these countries, which is likely to drive the organ transplant rejection medications market
- Increase in healthcare expenditure, rise in global per capita income, and improvement in healthcare infrastructure and government reimbursement programs in developed as well as developing countries are likely to propel the organ transplant rejection medications market in the near future
Lack of Donor Organs to Hamper Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market
- The gap between demand and supply continues to widen despite advancements in medicine and technology, and increase in awareness about organ donation and transplantation
- Other factors that hamper the market comprise low physician wages, informal payments, and negative public attitude toward organ donation and transplantation
- Organ transplantation procedures, especially for kidney and heart are well-established treatment methods after the introduction of immunosuppressive drugs that overcome the issues associated with transplant rejection. However, there is considerable shortage of eligible donor organs, and patients across the globe are on waiting lists for organ transplantation.
- According to the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network data report, around 122,560 people in the U.S. are listed in the organ transplantation waiting list. The total transplants performed in the first six months of 2015 stood at 15,083 as against 7,322 donors. The average waiting time for transplant for patients with liver failure is 26 months and about three years for lung transplant. Furthermore, 22 people succumb to death every day while waiting for organ transplant.
Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global organ transplant rejection medications market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The organ transplant rejection medications market is moderately fragmented with the presence of a few large-scale players present in international markets and few small-scale players in regional markets. The top four to five players hold majority share of the global organ transplant rejection medications market.
- Prominent players operating in the global organ transplant rejection medications market include
- GlaxoSmithKline plc,
- Novartis AG,
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.,
- Astellas Pharma, Inc.,
- Pfizer, Inc.,
- AbbVie, Inc.,
- Allergan plc.,
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMS), and
Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market: Key Developments
- In March 2019, Astellas Pharma US, Inc. launched PROGRAF Granules (tacrolimus for oral suspension) in the U.S. This drug is a combination with other immunosuppressants to help prevent organ rejection in people who have had a liver, heart, or kidney transplant
- In July 2019, Mylan and Pfizer's generic drugs business units merged to create a global pharmaceutical company that is uniquely positioned to meet the changing medical needs of the world. Consolidation would lead to greater global scale and regional coverage, including leadership in global and other emerging markets.
- The report on the global organ transplant rejection medications market discusses individual strategies, followed by company profiles of organ transplant rejection medication providers. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the global organ transplant rejection medications market report to provide readers with a dashboard view of key market players operating in the global organ transplant rejection medications market.
Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global organ transplant rejection medications market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global organ transplant rejection medications market for the period of 2017–2027, with 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global organ transplant rejection medications market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research involves bulk of research efforts wherein, analysts carry out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global organ transplant rejection medications market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global organ transplant rejection medications market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global organ transplant rejection medications market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global organ transplant rejection medications market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global organ transplant rejection medications market. Key players operating in the global organ transplant rejection medications market have been identified, and each one of them has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOTs are some of the attributes of players in the global organ transplant rejection medications market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of companies in the organ transplant rejection medications market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the organ transplant rejection medications market between 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global organ transplant rejection medications market?
- Will North America continue to remain the most profitable regional market for organ transplant rejection medication providers?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the global organ transplant rejection medications market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global organ transplant rejection medications market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global organ transplant rejection medications market and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global organ transplant rejection medications market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who have contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the organ transplant rejection medications market as primary sources.
These primary and secondary sources have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from organ transplant rejection medications market leaders. Access to extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global organ transplant rejection medications market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global organ transplant rejection medications market more reliably and accurately.
Organ Transplant Rejection Medications Market – Segmentation