Muscle wasting is also known as muscle atrophy, which causes weakening of muscle tissue. Muscle atrophy causes a substantial decrease in muscle strength and ability of muscle movement. Muscle wasting in healthy a person is caused by lack of physical exercise. However, people affected by certain diseases such as AIDS, cancer, cachexia, sarcopenia, etc. can also experience muscle atrophy. Increase in prevalence of chronic disorders such as cachexia and sarcopenia and rise in geriatric population across the globe are major factors driving the global muscle wasting disorders market. Sarcopenia is the progressive loss of skeletal muscle, which takes place with aging. Most individuals begin to lose muscle mass after the age of thirty. Sarcopenia affects approximately 30% of individuals who are above the age of sixty and more than 50% of individuals above eighty years of age. The weakness associated with sarcopenia dramatically increases the risk of accidents due to falls in older adults. It has been reported that nearly half of all accidental deaths among individuals over sixty-five years is due to falls. Other metabolic conditions such as insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and obesity can also give rise to sarcopenia. The health care expenditure on sarcopenia stands at approximately US$ 900 per person in a year. Thus, a rise in awareness about sarcopenia and related disorders is expected to drive demand for muscle wasting disorder therapeutics during the forecast period.
Increase in research & development activities by leading pharmaceutical companies, surge in prevalence of chronic diseases such as cancer and spinal muscular atrophy, and a rise in the geriatric population globally are major factors propelling the muscle wasting disorders market. Moreover, increased government funding for research and rise in cancer awareness programs and patient support programs in developing countries are anticipated to boost the muscle wasting disorders market in the near future. A number of drugs in the pipeline for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy have received orphan drug designation in the U.S. as well as Europe due to strong government support. This is projected to help the spinal muscular atrophy market expand rapidly, while encouraging pharmaceutical companies to invest in the development of novel therapeutics for the treatment of SMA. However, stringent regulatory requirements and high cost of drug development are anticipated to restrain the market.
The global muscle wasting disorders market can be segmented based on treatment type, disease indication, end-user, and geography. In terms of treatment type, the global muscle wasting disorders market can be classified into drug treatment, surgical method, and other treatments. Promising clinical pipeline and upcoming regulatory approvals are the major factors contributing to a rapid expansionof the drug treatment segment. For instance, several drugs for cancer cachexia that are currently under clinical trial have shown promising effects. These drugs include ghrelin mimetics, selective cox-2 inhibitors, thalidomide, insulin, olanzapine, and oxandrolone.
Based on disease indication, the global muscle wasting disorders market can be divided into cancer, chronic heart failure, kidney disease, sarcopenia, and others. The cancer disease indication segment is anticipated to constitute a major share of the market in the near future due to the rise in incidence of cancer worldwide. Rise in cancer-afflicted population is anticipated to be one of the key drivers of the muscle wasting disorders market. According to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report in 2014, the number of cancer patients diagnosed in the U.S. stood at approximately twenty-one million. This number is expected to reach 25.4 million by the end of 2024. Moreover, the National Cancer Institute also states that approximately 20% to 40% of cancer patients die due to cachexia.
Based on geography, the global muscle wasting disorders market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. Established industrial infrastructure and increase in product development of muscle wasting drugs across verticals are likely to propel the muscle wasting disorders market in North America during the forecast period. Moreover, increase in demand for early diagnosis and rise in government regulations for quality assurance and efficacy of muscle wasting disorders drugs are anticipated to boost the market. The muscle wasting disorders market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to a rise in the geriatric population, large patient pool, increase in concerns regarding basic health care, and rise in infrastructure standards in the region.
Some of the major players in the global muscle wasting disorders market are Biogen, Pfizer, BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc, Cellular Biomedicine Group, Inc., Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Marathon Pharmaceuticals LLC, Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma, Morphosys AG, Novartis AG, Sarepta Therapeutics, and Teijin Pharma.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.