Muscle Relaxation Therapy Market: Introduction
- Muscle relaxation drugs are a group of medicines used to reduce and relax tension in muscles during spasms, hyperreflexia, and muscle pain. Muscle relaxation therapy is also given to patients having problems in mobility and impairments. Professional physiotherapists efficiently diagnose and treat these medical conditions.
- Muscle relaxation drugs and therapy services are used in combination to improve functional ability of different body organs and simultaneously advance quality of life
- Presently, two types of muscle relaxants are available in the market: direct acting and centrally acting. Neuromuscular blocking agents are also known as direct acting muscle relaxants. These act by interfering with the transmission of neurons at the neuromuscular junction end plate. Centrally acting muscle relaxants are termed as spasmolytic agents. Spasmolytic agents usually act by interfering with the stimulated pathway between spinal cord and brain.
- Similarly, during muscle relaxation physiotherapy, pressure is applied on soft tissues and joints by using devices or manually which enables their free movement. This increases blood circulation and relaxes muscles.
Key Drivers of Global Muscle Relaxation Therapy Market
- The global muscle relaxation therapy market is projected to grow at a rapid pace in the next few years. Increase in geriatric population, rise in prevalence of chronic back pain, and surge in number of accidental injuries are anticipated to drive the global muscle relaxation therapy market in the near future. According to research findings by the WHO (2017), lifetime prevalence of lower back pain is projected to be 60% to 70% among the overall population in industrialized countries. Dantrolene, tizanidine, and baclofen are some of the FDA approved drugs used to treat spasticity. Methocarbamol, metaxalone, orphenadrine, carisoprodol, chlorzoxazone, and cyclobenzaprine are some of the drugs approved for muscle spasms.
- Increase in the number of muscle relaxation physiotherapy services offered is expected to drive the global market in next few years. For example, oncology therapy is provided to patients suffering from cancer which relieves pain and improves quality of life.
- However, side effects associated with muscle relaxant drugs and therapies such as sedation, dizziness, and discomfort are factors likely to restrain the global muscle relaxation therapy market.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Muscle Relaxation Therapy Market
- North America dominates the global muscle relaxation therapy market due to advancements in health care & technologies, high adoption rate, and high per capita income. Additionally, increase in number of surgical procedures in the U.S. which can increase the chances of developing chronic lower back problems is expected to drive the muscle relaxation therapy market in North America. According to research reports published by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (2017), more than 100 million adults in the U.S. experienced musculoskeletal pain disorder in 2016.
- Asia Pacific is likely to be the most lucrative market for muscle relaxation therapy in the near future due to rapidly developing medical & technological infrastructure and increase in government initiatives.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global muscle relaxation therapy market is highly saturated, with key manufacturers implementing various strategies to gain maximum share
Leading players operating in the global muscle relaxation therapy market are:
- Abbott Laboratories
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Valeant Pharmaceutical International, Inc.
- Acorda Therapeutics, Inc.
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- AmeriCare Physical Therapy
- FullMotion Physical Therapy
- Minsu Healing Oasis LLC
Global Muscle Relaxation Therapy Market: Research Scope
Global Muscle Relaxation Therapy Market, by Application
- Cardiovascular & Pulmonary
- Palliative Care
Global Muscle Relaxation Therapy Market, by Drug Class
- Peripherally Acting Muscle Relaxants
- Centrally Acting Muscle Relaxants
Global Muscle Relaxation Therapy Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
Global Muscle Relaxation Therapy Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa