Motor Driver ICs: Introduction
- A motor driver IC is an integrated circuit chip, which is used to control motors in autonomous robots. A motor driver IC acts as an interface between the motor and microprocessors in the robot.
- A majority of microprocessors require low voltage and a small amount of current to operate, whereas motors require relatively high voltage and current to operate. Hence, motor driver ICs are primarily used in autonomous robotics, as current cannot be supplied to the motor from the microprocessor.
- Additionally, motor driver ICs help perform various operations, such as selecting the reverse or forward rotation of the motor, protecting against overload, and regulating the motor speed
- Motor driver ICs are available with three types of motors i.e. brushed DC motor, brushless DC motor, and stepper motor
- Motor driver ICs are used in multiple applications such as printers, scanners, sunroofs, wipers, HVAC blowers, and radiator fans. These ICs are employed in several end-use sectors such as automotive, industrial, medical, and consumer electronics.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, Ask for a Customized Report
Rise in Demand for Motor Driver ICs for Use in Industrial Automation
- Motor driver ICs are largely used in industrial automation processes, such as tool machines and robots, logistics systems, food, and packaging. This is considered a major factor driving the global motor driver ICs market.
- In industrial automation, in order to speed up the assembly line process, manufacturers are using industrial robots that are operated and controlled by using motor drivers. These robots perform operations at a high speed and with high accuracy and they consume less power. This makes the operation more efficient.
- As a result of these advantages, the demand for motor driver ICs for use in industrial automation applications is increasing. This is expected to drive the global motor driver ICs market during the forecast period.
Automotive Segment to Witness Lucrative Opportunities
- The automotive industry has emerged as an attractive sector for investments for organizations across the globe. In the automotive industry, motor driver ICs are increasingly used in automobiles for HVAC blowers, radiator fans, sunroofs, wipers, and oil pumps.
- Manufacturers mostly provide motor driver ICs with brushless DC motors instead of those with brushed DC motors, as they have higher efficiency and longer lifespan. Also, they lack brush-generated electrical noise.
- Moreover, use of motor driver ICs offers protection against faults in power supply, due to which these devices are significantly used in automobiles
- Thus, rise in the use of motor driver ICs in automobiles is expected to offer lucrative opportunities to the global motor driver ICs market during the forecast period
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Report
North America to Lead Global Motor Driver ICs Market
- In terms of region, the global motor driver ICs market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is anticipated to dominate the global motor driver ICs market throughout the forecast period, as a large number of manufacturers of motor driver ICs operate in the region and they are constantly investing in electronic components
- The motor driver ICs market in Europe and Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Global Motor Driver ICs Market
The global motor driver ICs market was highly fragmented in 2018. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to meet the risen demand for motor driver ICs. Moreover, manufacturers are entering into partnerships for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global motor driver ICs market are:
- Allegro MicroSystems, LLC
- Infineon Technologies AG
- Maxim Integrated
- Microchip Technology Inc.
- NXP Semiconductors
- On Semiconductor
- Panasonic Corporation
- Rockwell Automation, Inc.
- Texas Instruments Incorporated
- TOSHIBA ELECTRONIC DEVICES & STORAGE CORPORATION
Global Motor Driver ICs Market: Research Scope
Global Motor Driver ICs Market, by Motor Type
- Brushed DC Motor
- Brushless DC Motor
- Stepper Motor
Global Motor Driver ICs Market, by Application
- HVAC Blowers
- Gaming Machines
Global Motor Driver ICs Market, by End-use Industry
- Consumer Electronics
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.