Medical Grade Polyolefin: Introduction
- Polyolefin is a kind of polymer that is formed by the polymerization of olefin monomer units. Polypropylene (PP) and polyethylene (PE) are the common types of polyolefin.
- Polyolefin is also considered non-toxic, making it ideal for usage in medical applications. It is vulnerable to oxidation; however, a range of anti-oxidant additives can tackle this issue.
- Usage of plastics such as polyolefin in health care application has increased owing to spiraling health care demand. New generation of medical devices are developed using polyolefin instead of traditional materials such as glass, paper, cardboard, or metal. Polyolefin is preferred as an alternative material due to its excellent properties such as durability, heat resistance, and ability to prevent chemical corrosion.
- Polyolefin is being increasingly used in medical devices and pharmaceutical packaging applications
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Medical Grade Polyolefin: Types and Applications
- Based on type, the global medical grade polyolefin market can be segmented into polyethylene, polypropylene, polymethylpentene, and others.
- High density polyethylene is used in the manufacture of medical consumables such as closures, rigid bottles, ampoules, needle sheaths, plunger rods for single-use syringes, and collapsible tube shoulders
- Low density polyethylene is employed in a wide range of applications such as squeezable bottles and ampoules, blow-fill-seal products, collapsible tube bodies, and film for primary and secondary medical and pharmaceutical packaging
- Polypropylene is primarily used in disposable syringes. Polypropylene is also employed in a wide range of medical applications such as actuator bodies, specimen cups, centrifuge tubes, multi-well micro-titration plates, trays, pipettes, and caps and closures.
- Medical grade polyolefin is a key component used in pharmaceutical packaging solutions such as container and closure systems. It is also used in a variety of medical devices such as drug delivery systems, syringes, MDPIs, and nasal sprays. The use of medical grade polyolefin in the health care industry are estimated to increase even against the backdrop of increasing regulatory concerns.
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Automotive Brake Override System Market, Request for a Sample
Trends in Medical Grade Polyolefin Market
- In June 2020, SK Global Chemical Co. Ltd. completed the acquisition of functional polyolefin business from Arkema S.A. The business transaction was valued at Euro 335 Mn (US$ 375.9 Mn)
- According to LyondellBasell, one of the major polyolefin manufacturers, almost one-fourth of disposable devices and one-third of non-disposable devices are made up of polypropylene (PP). Polyethylene (PE) is used in almost one-tenth of disposables, a slightly larger amount of non-disposables; and substantial amount of pharmaceutical packaging.
- In 2016, BASF SE divested its global polyolefin business to W. R. Grace & Co., a global leader in specialty chemicals and materials
- In 2014, SABIC launched its first portfolio of certified renewable polyolefin. It was the first petrochemicals company to manufacture renewable second generation polypropylene and polyethylene.
- In February 2020, Sekisui Chemical Co., Ltd. and Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd entered into a strategic alliance to manufacture polyolefin for medical uses. This alliance enables Sekisui Chemical Co., Ltd. to convert combustible waste into ethanol. Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd. further uses the ethanol as a raw material for polyolefin, thereby promoting circular economy initiatives to chemically recycle waste into polyolefin.
Key Drivers of Medical Grade Polyolefin Market
- Implantable medical devices are widely used by the geriatric population with reduced immunity. Japan, Italy, Portugal, and Germany have significantly high population of the geriatric people. According to a World Health Organization (WHO) report, almost 2 billion people around the world are estimated to be more than 60 year old by 2050, three times the number it was in 2000. The U.K. and France face an increase in their health care budget and usage of implantable medical devices owing to rise in the geriatric population in these countries. This is estimated to augment the demand for medical grade polyolefin in the U.K. and France.
- Prices of medical grade polyolefin such as polypropylene, high density polyethylene, and low density polyethylene are lower than its alternatives such as metal and glass. This is estimated to propel the demand for medical grade polyolefin.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
Key manufacturers operating in the global medical grade polyolefin market include:
- LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
- SK Global Chemical Co., Ltd.
- THE DOW CHEMICAL COMPANY
- SUMITOMO CHEMICAL COMPANY, LIMITED
- China National Petroleum Corporation
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
- Polymer Plastics Co. LC
- LG Chem Ltd.
- TYCO ELECTRONICS Raychem GmbH
- PMG Company
Global Medical Grade Polyolefin Market: Research Scope
Global Medical Grade Polyolefin Market, by Type
- Polyethylene (PE)
- High-density HDPE
- Low-density LDPE
- Linear low-density LLDPE
- Polypropylene (PP)
- Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) Rubber
- Polybutene-1 (PB-1)
- Polyisobutylene (PIB)
- Ethylene Propylene Rubber (EPR)
Global Medical Grade Polyolefin Market, by Application
- Medical Implants
- Medical Devices
- Diagnostic Equipment
- Medical Packaging
- Medical Tubing
- Medical Bags
Global Medical Grade Polyolefin Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.