Medical Grade Polyolefin: Introduction
- Polyolefin is a kind of polymer that is formed by the polymerization of olefin monomer units. Polypropylene (PP) and polyethylene (PE) are the common types of polyolefin.
- Polyolefin is also considered non-toxic, making it ideal for usage in medical applications. It is vulnerable to oxidation; however, a range of anti-oxidant additives can tackle this issue.
- Usage of plastics such as polyolefin in health care application has increased owing to spiraling health care demand. New generation of medical devices are developed using polyolefin instead of traditional materials such as glass, paper, cardboard, or metal. Polyolefin is preferred as an alternative material due to its excellent properties such as durability, heat resistance, and ability to prevent chemical corrosion.
- Polyolefin is being increasingly used in medical devices and pharmaceutical packaging applications
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Medical Grade Polyolefin: Types and Applications
- Based on type, the global medical grade polyolefin market can be segmented into polyethylene, polypropylene, polymethylpentene, and others.
- High density polyethylene is used in the manufacture of medical consumables such as closures, rigid bottles, ampoules, needle sheaths, plunger rods for single-use syringes, and collapsible tube shoulders
- Low density polyethylene is employed in a wide range of applications such as squeezable bottles and ampoules, blow-fill-seal products, collapsible tube bodies, and film for primary and secondary medical and pharmaceutical packaging
- Polypropylene is primarily used in disposable syringes. Polypropylene is also employed in a wide range of medical applications such as actuator bodies, specimen cups, centrifuge tubes, multi-well micro-titration plates, trays, pipettes, and caps and closures.
- Medical grade polyolefin is a key component used in pharmaceutical packaging solutions such as container and closure systems. It is also used in a variety of medical devices such as drug delivery systems, syringes, MDPIs, and nasal sprays. The use of medical grade polyolefin in the health care industry are estimated to increase even against the backdrop of increasing regulatory concerns.
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Automotive Brake Override System Market, Request for a Sample
Trends in Medical Grade Polyolefin Market
- In June 2020, SK Global Chemical Co. Ltd. completed the acquisition of functional polyolefin business from Arkema S.A. The business transaction was valued at Euro 335 Mn (US$ 375.9 Mn)
- According to LyondellBasell, one of the major polyolefin manufacturers, almost one-fourth of disposable devices and one-third of non-disposable devices are made up of polypropylene (PP). Polyethylene (PE) is used in almost one-tenth of disposables, a slightly larger amount of non-disposables; and substantial amount of pharmaceutical packaging.
- In 2016, BASF SE divested its global polyolefin business to W. R. Grace & Co., a global leader in specialty chemicals and materials
- In 2014, SABIC launched its first portfolio of certified renewable polyolefin. It was the first petrochemicals company to manufacture renewable second generation polypropylene and polyethylene.
- In February 2020, Sekisui Chemical Co., Ltd. and Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd entered into a strategic alliance to manufacture polyolefin for medical uses. This alliance enables Sekisui Chemical Co., Ltd. to convert combustible waste into ethanol. Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd. further uses the ethanol as a raw material for polyolefin, thereby promoting circular economy initiatives to chemically recycle waste into polyolefin.
Key Drivers of Medical Grade Polyolefin Market
- Implantable medical devices are widely used by the geriatric population with reduced immunity. Japan, Italy, Portugal, and Germany have significantly high population of the geriatric people. According to a World Health Organization (WHO) report, almost 2 billion people around the world are estimated to be more than 60 year old by 2050, three times the number it was in 2000. The U.K. and France face an increase in their health care budget and usage of implantable medical devices owing to rise in the geriatric population in these countries. This is estimated to augment the demand for medical grade polyolefin in the U.K. and France.
- Prices of medical grade polyolefin such as polypropylene, high density polyethylene, and low density polyethylene are lower than its alternatives such as metal and glass. This is estimated to propel the demand for medical grade polyolefin.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
Key manufacturers operating in the global medical grade polyolefin market include:
- LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
- SK Global Chemical Co., Ltd.
- THE DOW CHEMICAL COMPANY
- SUMITOMO CHEMICAL COMPANY, LIMITED
- China National Petroleum Corporation
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
- Polymer Plastics Co. LC
- LG Chem Ltd.
- TYCO ELECTRONICS Raychem GmbH
- PMG Company
Global Medical Grade Polyolefin Market: Research Scope
Global Medical Grade Polyolefin Market, by Type
- Polyethylene (PE)
- High-density HDPE
- Low-density LDPE
- Linear low-density LLDPE
- Polypropylene (PP)
- Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) Rubber
- Polybutene-1 (PB-1)
- Polyisobutylene (PIB)
- Ethylene Propylene Rubber (EPR)
Global Medical Grade Polyolefin Market, by Application
- Medical Implants
- Medical Devices
- Diagnostic Equipment
- Medical Packaging
- Medical Tubing
- Medical Bags
Global Medical Grade Polyolefin Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.