Medical Gel Market: Introduction
Medical gel is a network of polymer chains that are hydrophilic, and mostly occur as a colloidal gel in which water is the dispersion medium. The raw material used for making a gel is gelatin, agar, diaper filling, tapioca, seaweed, or fruit pectin. A gel is made by mixing the raw material in water in a particular ratio (weight to volume (w/v) or weight to weight). Cross linkage of the material occurs on mixing the raw material with water. This cross linkage causes it to form a gel. Gels are utilized for numerous medical purposes such as wound healing, surgery, skin care, etc. Medical gels are employed in diverse fields of healthcare due to their molecular nature such as bonding properties, cross linking properties, and chemical nature and behavior.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Medical Gel Market:
- Medical gels possess varying properties such as odorless, colorless, no effects of radiation on their structural and microstructural properties, high coupling efficiency, very low or no toxicity, Biocompatibility, versatility, low cost, and ease of use
- Efficacy of treatment achieved with medical gels with no side-effects and reactions in patients and no sign of toxicity are key factors that are likely to drive the medical gel market
- Use of numerous chemical agents such as hand sanitizer, guar gum, shampoo, lotion, gelatin, and surgical lube as an alternative to medical gel in regions with limited access is expected to restrain the market. Moreover, high manufacturing cost, volatility in prices of raw materials, and the introduction of a technologically advanced probe covers and scan pads that can be used without gel are also expected to restrain the market.
Ultrasound gels segment to dominate global medical gel market
- Based on product, the global medical gel market can be divided into ultrasound gels, hydrogels, ECG gels, catheter gels, and silicone gels
- The ultrasound gels segment dominated the global market. It is projected to maintain its dominant position during the forecast period due to higher demand in major areas such as pre and post-surgery imaging and marked percentage increase in the number of gynecology related issues in females.
Hospitals segment to expand significantly
- Based on end-user, the global medical gel market can be split into hospitals, clinics, diagnostic laboratories, and others
- The hospitals segment is projected to expand at a significant CAGR during the forecast period due to marked percentage (%) increase in number of patients coming to hospitals and clinics and the healthcare infrastructure provided by hospitals
Surgical and skin care segment to expand considerably
- Based on application, the global medical gel market can be divided into surgical, drug delivery, disease treatment, skin care, dentistry, wound care and healing, cosmetic surgeries (breast implants), tissue engineering, bone regeneration, cartilage repair, and cardiac regeneration
- The surgical and skin care segment is estimated to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period due to a rise in the number of people undergoing different types of surgery as gels are used in pre-surgical processes such as lubrication of the area where surgery needs to be performed, and the number of skin related diseases and wide use of gels in different treatment conditions of skin as gels, ointments, and creams
North America to dominate global medical gel market
- In terms of region, the global medical gel market can be segregated into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America accounted for a prominent share of the global medical gel market, followed by Europe. Rise in the number of key players based in the region, technology advancements followed by increased funding from government in R&D activities, large corporates making huge amount of investments and increase in the incidence of diseases are key factors that are likely to help North America to hold a dominant share of the global market share.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global medical gel market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Parker Laboratories, Inc.
- HR Pharmaceuticals
- Eco-Med Pharmaceutical, Inc
- Aloecorp, Inc.
- Aloe Laboratories, Inc.
- Compass Health Brands
- National Therapy Products
- Clariant International Ltd
- Evonik Industries
- W. R. Grace
- Dow Chemical
Global Medical Gel Market: Research Scope
Global Medical Gel Market, by Product
- Ultrasound Gels
- ECG Gels
- Catheter Gels
Global Medical Gel Market, by Application
- Drug delivery
- Disease treatment
- Skin care
- Wound care and healing
- Cosmetic surgeries (Breast implants)
- Tissue engineering
- Bone regeneration
- Cartilage repair
- Cardiac regeneration
- Silicone gels
Global Medical Gel Market, by End-user
- Diagnostic Laboratories
Global Medical Gel Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!