Indwelling Catheters Market
Indwelling Catheters Market (Product: 2-way Catheters, 3-way Catheters, and 4-way Catheters; Material: Latex and Silicone; Indication: Urinary Incontinence, Benign Prostate Hyperplasia, Post-surgical Care, and Critical Care; and End User: Hospitals, Long-term Care Facilities, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Increasing Adoption of Silicone Catheters Triggers Market Growth
There is growing demand for indwelling catheters in critical and post-surgical care requirements. Hence, healthcare companies and providers are adopting the best practices to improve quality of life in patients. Latex catheters account for the highest revenue in the indwelling catheters market, with an estimated value of ~US$ 1.5 billion by the end of 2027. Though latex catheters account for a large market share, the demand for silicone catheters is gaining momentum in the indwelling catheters market. This demand will continue to rise throughout the forecast period, because silicone catheters are associated with lesser complications as compared to latex catheters.
Sensitivity and allergy to latex catheters are common problems faced by patients, which allow them to be used on for short-term purposes. Also, silicone catheters reduce tendency to encrustation, which is increasingly driving demand for the same. Companies in the indwelling catheters market are introducing new antimicrobial-coated catheters. These novel catheters are found to significantly reduce incidence of Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTIs). Apart from catheters, manufacturers are keen on expanding their product portfolios by launching new lubricating gels and creams to prevent moisture-associated skin damage.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Indwelling Catheters Market
Innovations in 3-way Catheters for Effective Management of Hematuria
The procedure of indwelling urinary catheterization is being increasingly used in the management of hematuria. Healthcare providers in the indwelling catheters landscape are using continuous bladder irrigation as a technique to reduce the risk of clot formation and maintain indwelling urinary catheter patency. This is being achieved with the help of 3-way catheters to continuously irrigate the bladder. As such, 3-way catheters are projected for higher growth amongst all product types throughout the forecast period, and are estimated for a revenue forecast of ~US$ 400 million by the end of 2027. To improve outcomes in patients, companies in the indwelling catheters market are increasing research efforts to develop large gauge indwelling urinary catheters to allow drainage of clots and debris.
Chronic Urinary Retention Triggers Demand for Intermittent Bladder Irrigation via Indwelling Two-Way Catheters
High prevalence of chronic urinary retention is another driver for the growth of the indwelling catheters market. As such, benign prostate hyperplasia (urinary retention) accounts for the third-highest revenue in the indwelling catheters market, with an estimated value of ~US$ 125 million by 2027.
Indwelling catheterization is used as a technique to manage benign prostate hyperplasia. However, intermittent catheterization is found to significantly reduce incidence of urinary tract infections, as compared to indwelling catheterization. Hence, healthcare providers in the indwelling catheters landscape are increasing treatment options in intermittent bladder irrigation via indwelling two-way catheters.
Indwelling catheters are gaining widespread demand in hospitals and long-term care facilities. Both these end users are projected for exponential growth in the coming years, while hospitals dominate a major share of the market. Hospitals account for the highest revenue amongst all end users in the indwelling catheters market, with an estimated revenue of ~US$ 1.1 billion by 2027. Thus, neurological dysfunction after a stroke and the inability to naturally urinate after a surgery are key drivers for market growth.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Companies Innovating Patient-Centric Technologies to Reduce Incidence of CAUTI
The indwelling catheters market is highly consolidated, with four major players accounting for ~90% of the global market share. Apart from this, other issues such as prevalence of CAUTIs due to prolonged usage of indwelling catheters is posing as a challenge for emerging players to come up with new technologies.
Female external catheters are posing a threat to indwelling catheters. Hence, companies in the indwelling catheters market are innovating in dual balloon indwelling urinary catheters to reduce incidence of CAUTIs and improve quality of life in patients. For instance, advanced urinary products supplier - Poiesis Medical, announced a contract with Vizient Inc. - a member-driven healthcare performance improvement company, to develop Duette Dual Balloon indwelling urinary catheters that reduce incidence of CAUTIs.
Companies are innovating in CAUTI fighting technology, since CAUTI reduction is of top priority for healthcare providers. They are increasing their focus on advanced patient-centric technologies to demonstrate better outcomes in patients. Companies are increasing R&D to implement human-derived clinical protocols to develop new device designs.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Indwelling Catheters Market ”
Companies in the indwelling catheters market should focus on expanding their business in Asia Pacific and North America, since both regions are projected for exponential market growth.
One of the key restraints that is slowing down the adoption of indwelling catheters is the risks associated with CAUTIs. Hence, companies are innovating in antimicrobial solutions such as polihexanide to reduce the contraction of bacterial infections. Since contraction of infection is inevitable in most patients due to prolonged usage, companies are increasing awareness about surface acoustic wave technology to prevent attachment of bacteria to the surface of the catheters.
Companies should increase the availability of 2-way indwelling catheters with larger lumen to reduce obstruction and encrustation.
Global Indwelling Catheters Market: Overview
- The global indwelling catheters market was valued at ~US$ 985 Mn in 2018, and is anticipated to reach ~US$ 1.6 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~6% from 2019 to 2027.
- North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific were major markets for indwelling catheters in 2018.
- The indwelling catheters market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a high CAGR of ~7% during the forecast period.
2-way Catheters Dominating Global Indwelling Catheters Market
- In terms of product, the global indwelling catheters market has been segmented into 2-way, 3-way, and 4-way catheters. The 2-way catheters segment dominated the global indwelling catheters market in 2018, and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period.
- 2-way indwelling catheters are flexible urinary catheters, appropriate for long-term use, which help drain urine from one lumen and have an inflatable balloon at the other end in order to hold the catheter in place.
- Wide availability of these catheters and ease of use during urinary catheterization are the major factors anticipated to boost the growth of the segment in the global indwelling catheters market in the next few years.
Latex Material Holds Major Share of Global Indwelling Catheters Market
- In terms of material, the global indwelling catheters market has been bifurcated into latex and silicone. The latex segment has been segregated into silicone elastomer coated latex, PTFE (Teflon) coated latex, and hydrophilic polymer coated latex. The latex segment held a major share of the global indwelling catheters market in 2018.
- Latex catheters, when coated with hydrogel, silicone, and Teflon are soft, lubricious, and flexible, and offer advantages such as reduced urethral irritation and minimized encrustation, which makes these a preferred choice among clinicians.
- The hydrophilic polymer coated latex sub-segment accounted for a significant share of the latex segment in the indwelling catheters market in 2018. This is attributed to high compatibility with body tissue, low surface friction, less trauma, and improved patient comfort.
- The silicone segment is anticipated to expand at a high CAGR in the global indwelling catheters market during the forecast period, owing to longer lifespan, large lumen diameter, and reduced risk of urinary tract infections due to the inherent biocompatibility and bio-durability of silicone. These factors are anticipated to fuel the growth of the segment in the global indwelling catheters market during the forecast period.
Post-surgical Care to Lead Global Indwelling Catheters Market
- In terms of indication, the global indwelling catheters market has been classified into urinary incontinence, benign prostate hyperplasia (urinary retention), post-surgical care, and critical care. The post-surgical care segment accounted for a major share of the global indwelling catheters market in 2018.
- Increase in adoption of indwelling catheters post-surgical procedures such as vascular surgery, colorectal surgery, urologic surgery (including BPH), hip or knee arthroplasty, and open-chest cardiac operations is expected to drive the segment in the indwelling catheters market during the forecast period. For instance, 40% to 50% of patients require indwelling catheters, post surgical procedure.
Hospitals to be Most Promising End Users of Indwelling Catheters Market
- In terms of end user, the global indwelling catheters market has been categorized into hospitals, long-term care facilities, and others.
- The hospitals segment held a major share of the global indwelling catheters market in 2018. Growth of the segment can be attributed to increase in the geriatric patient population and rise in the number of surgeries leading to the high demand for indwelling catheters in hospitals.
- For instance, around 25% of patients admitted to a hospital would require an indwelling catheter at some point during their stay, and 7% of nursing home residents are managed by long-term catheterization.
Global Indwelling Catheters Market: Competition Landscape
- Key players in the global indwelling catheters market have been profiled based on attributes such as company overview, product portfolio, financial overview, recent developments, and competitive business strategies.
- Major companies profiled in the global indwelling catheters market report are -
- Dickinson & Company (BD)
- Cardinal Health, Inc.
- Teleflex Incorporated
- Coloplast Corp.
- Cook Medical
- Medline Industries
- Bactiguard AB
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- In February 2019, Coloplast Corp. signed a three-year group purchasing agreement for general urological products with Premier, Inc. This strategy enabled the company to expand its customer base in the indwelling catheters market across the globe.
- In February 2019, Safe Medical Design, Inc. received FDA approval for its brand 'Signal Catheter' for commercialization. These new catheters reduce excessive balloon pressure in the event the catheter is improperly placed. This reduces the chances of urethral trauma.
- In October 2018, Bactiguard entered into a partnership agreement with Mediplast to sell and distribute BIP portfolio in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. The collaboration enables the company to strengthen its position in Sweden, and penetrate the markets in Norway and Denmark.
- In July 2017, Cardinal Health, Inc. acquired Medtronic’s Patient Care, Deep Vein Thrombosis and Nutritional Insufficiency business, which includes incontinence, wound care, enteral feeding, and urology products.
Indwelling Catheters Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global indwelling catheters market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the market during the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report provides the revenue of the global indwelling catheters market for the period of 2017 - 2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global indwelling catheters market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global indwelling catheters market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have also employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approach to study various phenomena in the global indwelling catheters market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global indwelling catheters market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global indwelling catheters market. The next section of the global indwelling catheters market report highlights the USPs, which include epidemiology analysis, regulatory scenario, key industry events, technological advancements, and key success factors of top players operating in the global indwelling catheters market.
The report also delves into the competitive landscape of the global indwelling catheters market. Key players operating in the global indwelling catheters market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOTs are some of the attributes of players in the global indwelling catheters market profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Global Indwelling Catheters Market Report
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities in the market?
- What are the revenue share projections of key segments in the global indwelling catheters market for the forecast period?
- Which segment is likely to lead the global indwelling catheters market in terms of revenue by 2027?
- How are mergers & acquisitions among players widening the scope for the indwelling catheters market?
- What is the market position of different companies operating in the global indwelling catheters market?
Global Indwelling Catheters Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global indwelling catheters market begins with an overview of the said market, followed by the scope and objectives of this study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind the study, and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the global indwelling catheters market. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the global indwelling catheters market, which includes TMR analysis of the market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the growth of the global indwelling catheters market. Furthermore, Y-o-Y analysis with elaborate insights has been provided to understand the Y-o-Y trends of the indwelling catheters market. The next section of the global indwelling catheters market report highlights the USPs, which include regulatory scenario, epidemiology analysis, technological advancements, and key success factors of top players in the global market.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into smaller sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the global indwelling catheters market in terms of product, material, indication, end user, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2027 has also been provided. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investments in the indwelling catheters market.
Global Indwelling Catheters Market - Segmentation