Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market
Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market (Application: Boiler Feed Water, Chemical Production, Cooling Towers, Closed Loop Chillers, Air Compressors, Air Washers, Pharmaceutical Production, Pulp & Paper Processing, Textile Dying Process, Food & Beverage Processing, Oil & Gas Processes, and Others; and End-use Industry: Oil & Gas, Chemical, Mining, Power, Pulp & Paper, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Industrial Wastewater Treatment: R&D a Key to Market Growth
Growing industrial waste has compelled industries and governments to take effective steps to reduce contamination in water. Industrial wastewater treatment has gained momentum since the last few decades, due to reducing levels of freshwater. Players dealing with industrial wastewater treatment are innovating and using advanced technologies that enhance water treatment.
Research and development is playing a key role in developing newer technologies, and as such, players are increasing their research and development capabilities to withstand the increasing competition in the market. Containing a comprehensive analysis on the growth of the global industrial wastewater treatment market, Transparency Market Research has published a report by analyzing the key parameters of this market. The report provides the key developments, ongoing trends, and future scope of the growth of industrial wastewater treatment market, along with the major technologies used in wastewater treatment.
Planning to lay down future strategy? Perfect your plan with our report brochure here
Diminishing Freshwater Levels Increasing the Need for Industrial Wastewater Treatment
Recent statistics revealed by the World Health Organization show that, more than 2 billion people around the world utilize water sources that are contaminated with feces. Around 785 million people lack even basic drinking-water services, and 144 million out of these are dependent on surface water. An increasing number of deaths being caused by the transmission of various diseases through water has necessitated the need for advanced wastewater treatment solutions. This has forced manufacturers and governments to take strong and effective measures to treat wastewater. With increasing emphasis on industrial wastewater treatment across the globe, the global industrial wastewater treatment market is projected cross a valuation of US$ 140 billion by the end of 2027.
New Technologies Backing Growth in the Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market
Manufacturers Focusing on Deploying ZLD Technologies
Industrial wastewater treatment is a complex process, and players in the market are now deploying a combination of two or more technologies for better and effective wastewater treatment. Moreover, they are making constant efforts to reduce the cost of wastewater treatment. The high demand for wastewater treatment has augmented the growth of the water and wastewater treatment industry, with the use of various treatment solutions such as zero liquid discharge (ZLD), effluent treatment plants (ETPs), sewage treatment plants (STPs), and wastewater treatment plants (WTPs) for handling wastewater. Among these, ZLD technology is widely used, as it is capable of recovering 99% of the water from wastewater. The introduction of new technologies such as Forward Osmosis (FO) membranes and electro-separation systems in the field of ZLD has encouraged manufacturers to adopt ZLD.
Bubbleless Aeration - Future of Industrial Wastewater Treatment
A large number of companies around the world are now actively involved in the development of the membrane aerated biofilm reactor (MABR) technology. This process utilizes gas permeable membranes to deliver the oxygen required for aerobic biological treatment; it is also known as bubbleless aeration. A few renowned companies are focusing on MABR technology, and are working with researchers to find out new applications of this technology. A few companies have come up with a new system to speed up the oxygen delivery process with low energy consumption. Start-ups such as OxyMem and Fluence, and established players such as GE and others have introduced some advanced uses of MABR technology. With the growing adoption of this technology, players are likely to come up with more effective uses of MABR in the coming years.
Factors Creating Issues for Market Players
Though a large number of market players are focusing on the deployment advanced technologies regarding wastewater treatment, they are facing certain issues regarding the cost and required space associated with these technologies. Industrial wastewater treatment systems come at a high cost and need a large space to be set up. As such, in order to comply with mandatory government regulations to treat wastewater, these end users are opting for cheaper and minimally-effective technologies for the same. These factors are expected to restrain the market from reaching its full potential.
Want to know the obstructions to your company’s growth in future? Request a PDF sample here
Compliance with Regulatory Policies
Government of China Taking Strict Measures to Deploy Industrial Wastewater Treatment
The environmental impact of water pollution is enormous, which has compelled governments across the globe to take strict action against water contamination. Various regulations have been imposed that are hard-pressing industries to adopt advanced industrial wastewater treatment solutions. Asia Pacific is expected to lead the global industrial wastewater treatment market, due to the scarcity of freshwater sources in the region.
Lack of infrastructure in developing regions has largely deteriorated the quality of water in many parts of this region. The presence of two of the most populated countries in the world - India and China, along with rapid urbanization, has increased waste generation in the region. As such, the governments in these two countries are implementing strict regulations to battle water pollution.
China is implementing industrial wastewater treatment solutions at a rapid pace, making it a leading region in this market across the globe. The Chinese government has rolled out programs with strict regulations regarding industry effluent discharges, along with the implementation of ZLD technologies. On the other hand, in India, the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) has made ZLD mandatory in nine states in Northern India for four industrial sectors. Furthermore, countries in the United States and Europe are also implementing strict regulations and effective implementation of wastewater treatment solutions.
Looking for exclusive market insights from business experts? Request a Custom Report here
Growing Technological Advancements with Increasing Competition
The global industrial wastewater treatment market is an amalgamation of chemicals, technologies, and operations, which makes the market a highly fragmented one. Competition in the global industrial wastewater treatment market is mostly on the base of technology. The use of advanced technologies is rising significantly, and wastewater treatment technology providers are focusing on coming up with new solutions.
Moreover, the presence of a large number of local, regional, and global players is expected to increase the competition in the global industrial wastewater treatment market in the coming years. However, new entrants in the market may face tough competition from big players in terms of brand value and product technology.
Two prominent players in the industrial wastewater treatment technologies are Veolia and Suez, who hold a substantial share in the market. Players in this market are engaged in extensive research and development activities that help them in innovating and introducing new technologies for wastewater treatment.
For example, SUEZ recently opened one of the world’s largest and most advanced analytical laboratory to serve its widening base of clients in Tomball, Texas (the U.S.). This lab undertakes the analysis of oil, water, process fluids, and deposits, as well as microbiological and metallurgical analysis for its clients.
Analyst View Point
Analysts have a confident outlook for the global industrial wastewater treatment market for the forecast period. Governments are implementing strict regulations to battle water pollution, which is significantly contributing to the growth of the industrial wastewater treatment market. Extensive research and development activities carried out by wastewater treatment technology providers are also aiding in the growth of this market. With special focus on the Asia Pacific region, multiple new entrants are entering the market, armed with skilled professionals and innovative processes.
Players leveraging new technologies are likely to get benefit from the first-mover advantage. The implementation of ZLD technologies will give end-user industries an added advantage in this market space, as this allows the reuse of 99% of wastewater after treatment. Still, further research and development activities are required to fast track the process of wastewater treatment.
- Industrial wastewater treatment is a procedure or method for treating wastewater generated from industries, either as part of their process or from their utilities as an unwanted byproduct. Industry effluent standards, regulations, and monitoring of water quality standards before discharge by authorized government bodies are expected to drive the demand for industrial wastewater treatment in the next few years. According to wastewater regulations in Germany, the quality of wastewater generated has to meet the State of the Technical Art when it is discharged into the seawater.
- Thus, industries are mandated to treat wastewater generated in their vicinity before discharging it into the environment or a sewage system. This creates immense opportunities for companies engaged in the entire value chain of the industrial wastewater treatment market.
Industrial Wastewater Treatment: Stringent Environment Regulations and Legislations
- Increase in awareness about the environment has led to development of several laws and regulations reading wastewater produced by industries. Regulatory authorities are imposing stringent rules and regulations on the industrial sector in order to curb water pollution.
- Unlike some of the developed countries such as the U.S., Canada, and those in Western Europe, a significant portion of the overall wastewater generated from various industries in developing regions is discharged untreated or minimally treated into public water sources. However, stringent regulations and restrictions pertaining to such practices are expected to result in the establishment of several new water & wastewater treatment facilities in developing countries, thus pushing the growth of the industrial wastewater treatment in these regions.
- Increasing scarcity of freshwater sources is another major driver of the industrial wastewater treatment market. Less than 3% of the total water available is freshwater. Increasing pollution is further making these source of water scarce. Rise in industrialization, growth in population, and increase in water pollution are pressurizing freshwater sources, thereby making recycling and reuse of water a necessity for industries.
Industrial Wastewater Treatment: High Capital & Operational Costs
- Industrial wastewater treatment largely depends upon the technology employed for treating wastewater and the overall size of the plant. The capital cost of the installation of these technologies is also increasing, owing to the advancements in treatment technology.
- Regulatory authorities have mandated the implementation of industrial wastewater treatment systems. However, industries are reluctant in adopting them or are opting for the cheapest and minimally-effective technologies due to the high capital investments.
- The operational cost of industrial wastewater treatment plants is also high, resulting in an increase in the overall operational expenditure of a company. This can adversely affect the profitability of the company, thereby restraining the industrial wastewater treatment market.
Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market: Recycle & Reuse of Wastewater in Industrial Applications
- Industries are major consumers of freshwater. They are also one of the major producers of wastewater across the globe. However, these industries can reduce a large amount of pressure on the freshwater sources if they start recycling and reusing water from the generated wastewater.
- Recycling and reusing wastewater not only helps the environment, but also industries in cutting their operational costs by reducing their freshwater consumption. Recycled water can be used for non-potable applications in the industry.
- The implementation of zero liquid discharge technology (ZLD) can further improve the overall efficiency of water recovery from wastewater. ZLD can recover around 95% to 99% of reusable water from wastewater. This water can be further reused or discharged into the environment.
Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market: Recent Developments, Expansions, Acquisitions, and New Contracts
- In July 2018, Aquatech International LLC established a power plant in Puerto Rico. The cogeneration power plant produces 454 MW of net electricity. High solid content from the cooling tower blowdown stream could not be discharged directly due to environment-related regulations. Hence, the company installed a zero liquid discharge (ZLD) plant. The ZLD system recycles around 99% of water as pure distillate, and sends it back to the cooling tower, which reduces the requirement of makeup water. The system is designed for automatic and continuous operations.
- In July 2018, GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft supplied a ZLD plant to Abengoa, a company based in Mexico. The ZLD plant is used to convert salt-laden wastewater into pure water for internal recycling, and into dry solids for disposal. The company offered thermal and non-thermal technologies for ZLD applications, such as centrifugal separators, membrane concentrators, evaporators, crystallizers, and dryers.
- In October 2017, SUEZ acquired GE Water & Process Technologies. The company is expected to combine the activities of GE Water & Process Technologies with its own industrial water activities, in a new business unit called Water Technologies & Solutions.
Asia Pacific Dominates the Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market
- Asia Pacific dominated the global industrial wastewater treatment in 2018. Scarcity of freshwater sources and the implementation of strict environmental policies regarding wastewater are positively impacting the industrial wastewater treatment market in the region. China is a major country in the industrial wastewater treatment in Asia Pacific.
- The industrial wastewater treatment market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a substantial pace during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the increase in industrial activities, rise in water pollution, rising scarcity of freshwater sources in the region, especially in developing economies such as China and India.
Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market: Highly Competitive Market with the Dominance of Top Players
- The global industrial wastewater treatment market is highly fragmented. The industrial wastewater treatment market has a presence of a large number of local, regional, and global players. The report comprises the profiles of major companies operating in the global industrial wastewater treatment market.
- Key players operating in the global industrial wastewater treatment market are Aquatech International LLC, ALFA LAVAL, SUEZ, GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft, Veolia, Creative Water Solutions, Sapphire Water, PURONICS, Minerals Technologies Inc., M. W. Watermark, MIOX, Culligan, WaterProfessionals, and other industrial wastewater treatment market players.
Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market: Introduction
A recent report published on by Transparency Market Research (TMR) on the global industrial wastewater treatment market, gives out in-depth information related to the growth of the industrial wastewater treatment market over the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report gives detailed insights for manufacturers and stakeholders in the industrial wastewater treatment market by specifically identifying key strategies and drivers that are affecting the growth in the industrial wastewater treatment market. These insights assist stakeholders to reach untapped market areas.
Research and development is shaping the growth of the industrial wastewater treatment market, along with ongoing trends and opportunities, which have been systematically and thoroughly discussed in the industrial wastewater treatment market report. Challenges have also been given specific emphasis to get a clear understanding on the areas that need special focus.
Regulations in various regions related to industrial wastewater treatment have also presented in a comprehensive manner, to give a holistic perspective about the industrial wastewater treatment market. This will help manufacturers in developing robust growth strategies to have a competitive edge in the industrial wastewater treatment market.
Additionally, detailed analysis of vendors’ landscape with special focus on the key strategies used by them, total share, and efforts put in research and development activities has also taken a substantial share in the report. Regional growth of leading players with special focus the segments has also systematically been presented in the industrial wastewater treatment market report.
Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market: Segmentation
This report on the global industrial wastewater treatment market consists of detailed analysis on the value chain. To understand the attractiveness of the industrial wastewater treatment market, researchers have categorized this market on the basis of application, end-use industry, and region. Statistics along with the drivers for each segment have been included in the report.
Key Questioned Answered
- What are recent developments seen in the global industrial wastewater treatment market?
- What are the key strategies used by players in the global industrial wastewater treatment market?
- How are governments across the globe assisting manufacturers in the global industrial wastewater treatment market?
- Which region plays a significant role in the growth of the industrial wastewater treatment?
- What are major technologies or combination of technologies used for treating industrial wastewater?
- How much revenue will be generated in the global industrial wastewater treatment market by 2027?
- What is the incremental opportunity for technology developers and players functioning in the global industrial wastewater treatment market?
Research Methodology Adopted
Researchers at Transparency Market Research adopted the top-down approach to thoroughly understand the global industrial wastewater treatment market. Researchers used the bottom-up approach to counter-validate those analysis and figures. Data collection was carried on through primary and secondary research. One-on-one interviews were conducted with industry experts, company managers and sales executives, and industrial wastewater treatment technology developers.
Additionally, special importance was given to treatment technology, chemicals, and operation and maintenance for industrial wastewater treatment to get a better understanding of the global industrial wastewater treatment market. For secondary research, analysts derived information from company websites, annual reports, financial reports, broker reports, and investor presentations. Information was also collected from internal and external proprietary databases and relevant patent, regulatory databases, national government documents, statistical databases, and market reports.