Ileostomy Market - Shift from Disposable to Drainable Ostomy Bags is Underway
The global ileostomy market will rise from ~US$ 1.3 Bn in 2018 to ~US$ 2.2 Bn by 2027, and much of this is attributable to the growing confidence of consumers towards ostomy care. Numerous nonprofit organizations and private players are coming forward to raise awareness apropos of ostomy care on a global level. In addition, the European Ostomy Association observes a World Ostomy Day every year to bust the myths associated with ileostomy, and encourages patients into availing the surgery.
Efforts put aren’t only limited to central authorities. Market majors such as Hollister, ConvaTec, Inc., and Coloplast Group are making huge investments in research and development activities to launch function-rich pouching systems and accessories for ostomy care. Traditionally, the popularity of disposable ostomy bags remained high, owing to the convenience of carrying them; however, the latest trend to look for in the ileostomy market is the use of drainable ostomy bags, owing to the significant cost benefits offered by these bags. Despite the steady growth prospects of the landscape, market players need to take into account unfavorable reimbursement policies that could cause reluctance among patients to avail ileostomy.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Ileostomy Market
Popularity of Alternative Procedures to Dim Growth Prospects of Ileostomy Market
Patients with stoma bags are stigmatized as smelly and unhygienic, which has been causing hesitance among patients to avail proper treatment for intestinal cancer, diverticulitis, Crohn’s Disease, and ulcerative colitis. In addition, numerous cases claiming discomfort caused while using such products have come to light, which is projected to dot the odyssey of the ileostomy market.
The shifting paradigm of patients from ileostomy procedures to ilenoal reservoirs, given that the latter do not involve the attachment of an external stoma bag for waste collection, is projected to impede the growth of the ileostomy landscape. However, on the basis of cost-efficiency, ileostomy procedures win over ilenoal reservoirs, which upholds steady growth prospects for the ileostomy market during the course of the forecast period.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Demand for Ileostomy Products to Gain Impetus in Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Besides the key attributes of ileostomy bags, consumers show a marked preference for skin-friendly, durable, and water-resistant products. Analyzing such demands, leading, prominent, and emerging players operating in the ileostomy market are consolidating their market positions by pushing innovative products that suffice the comfort needs of patients. For instance, 11Health and Technologies Limited averred that, it has launched a new device - Stom-I Alert Sensor - that sends a notification to ostomy patients through a mobile app, message, or email when the stoma bag is full. Another player, Hollister Corporation, announced the launch of a new stoma bag with a lubricating deodorant to neutralize the odor and boost the self-confidence of ostomy patients.
On account of the high level of trust of patients in hospitals, in 2019, this end user will account for a share of ~56% of the market, while the popularity of ambulatory surgical centers will grow at an exponential rate during the forecast period.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Authors of the report opine that, the ileostomy market will advance at a CAGR of ~7% during 2019-2027, as the spread of proper knowledge regarding ileostomy increases. Lenient FDA regulations for the development of ileostomy products are attracting a number of new players, thereby moving the market from consolidation towards fragmentation. In addition, working capital required for product development is on the lower end, which makes it easy for new players to participate in the moderately competitive landscape.
Asia Pacific will upkeep its leading stance in the growing ileostomy market, which is attributable to the demand for better ostomy healthcare facilities in East Asian and South Asian countries. Opportunities are abound for leading market participants to foray into developing countries, since education regarding ostomy care products and accessories is comparatively low. Hence, there are bright prospects for acquiring high market share with proper awareness campaigns, such as the ones practiced in established markets.
Global Ileostomy Market: Overview
- Rise in the prevalence of major chronic diseases such as cancer and Crohn’s disease, increase in customer awareness, and technological advancements such as sensor devices for stoma bags that send notifications to patients and physicians about stoma bag volume are anticipated to drive the global ileostomy market.
- New products, services, and device development, investment in developing economies by multinational companies, increase in number of cancer patients, technological advancements in ileostomy drainage bags that positively affecting the comfort and affordability factors of patients are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Recent developments such as the availability of ostomy bag covers help patients hide their ostomy bags under their clothing and be comfortable.
- The global ileostomy market was valued at ~US$ 1.3 Bn in 2018, and is expected to reach ~US$ 2.2 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~7% from 2019 to 2027.
Global Ileostomy Market: Trends
- Rise in inflammatory bowel disease and introduction of innovative delivery technologies boost the growth of the global ileostomy market.
- The end ileostomy segment holds a major market share, as it has been the most widely/frequently used procedure, and is considered to be the prominent choice of patients due to less complications, less wound infection rate, and lower cost involved.
- Additionally, the end ileostomy segment is anticipated to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period. Growth of the segment is attributed to the fact that, it prevents post-surgical infections and requires less supportive care as compared to loop ileostomy. Moreover, loop ileostomy is widely preferred for research purposes across the world.
- The stoma bags segment accounted for the largest share of the global ileostomy market in 2018. The high market share of the segment is because these have been categorized as class I medical devices by the FDA, and are considered to be low-risk devices (exempted from 510k). Hence, they are easy to commercialize due to less stringent regulations.
- The stoma bags segment is anticipated to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period, as this is the ultimate and widely accepted choice for the collection of waste matter for ileostomy procedures.
- Technological advancements to enhance stoma bag ability (such as flushable closed one-piece, one piece stoma bag, two piece stoma bags, etc.) and capacity are likely to accelerate the growth of the segment.
- The prevalence of cancer is rising across the world. Colorectal and colon cancer require ileostomy surgery. The cancer segment accounted for a major share of the ileostomy market in 2018.
- The American Cancer Society published a report in 2018, which indicated that, nearly 145,600 new cases of colorectal cancer were diagnosed in the U.S. Small bowel cancer or ovarian cancer, rectal cancer, cervical cancer, bladder & urethra cancer, small intestine cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and uterine cancer are the most common types of cancer where ileostomy is largely performed.
- However, the ulcerative colitis segment is anticipated to expand at a fast CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the lack of suitable medical therapy other than removal of the colon and rectum (ileostomy).
- Ileostomy provides complete and effective medical care for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. This boosts the demand for ileostomy for ulcerative colitis.
- The hospitals segment accounted for a major share of the global ileostomy market in 2018. The segment is likely to dominate the market till 2027, owing to the availability of various surgical procedures in hospitals. Additionally, the number of hospitals is higher than ambulatory surgical centers, globally.
Global Ileostomy Market: Regional Analysis
- Europe is projected to dominate the global ileostomy market from 2019 to 2027. This can be ascribed to the rapid rise in cancer cases and presence of well-established healthcare infrastructure.
- Rise of various cancer cases such as colorectal cancer and bladder cancer drive the ileostomy market in Europe. According to the World Health Organization, in 2018, more than 499,667 new cases of colorectal cancer were reported in Europe.
- Moreover, developing countries in Asia Pacific such as India and China are expected to outperform their counterparts in the West, owing to the low cost of raw materials, low manufacturing costs, and cheap labor. These factors are likely to make Asia the most attractive market in the near future.
- Additionally, rise in disposable income fuels the growth of the market, as more people are willing to opt for expensive surgery/treatment that was not affordable before.
Key Companies in the Market
- Key players in the global Ileostomy market have been profiled based on key aspects such as company overview, product portfolio, financial overview, recent developments, and competitive business strategies
- Major companies profiled in the global ileostomy market report are -
- Smith & Nephew
- Convatec Inc.
- 3M Healthcare
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Hollister Incorporated
- Salts Healthcare
- Flexicare Medical Ltd.
- Marlen Manufacturing
- Pelican Healthcare
Ileostomy Market - Scope of the Study
[215 Pages Report] Transparency Market Research (TMR), in its latest business report, brings to the fore the growth course of the ileostomy market for the forecast period of 2019-2027. This comprehensive business study highlights the crucial trends and significant developments that are present in the ileostomy market. Additionally, this exclusive global study also offers market intelligence about the ileostomy landscape, by taking into consideration the key drivers, threats, restraints, and opportunities.
This comprehensive guide offers an incisive view of the demand and supply of ileostomy. This comprehensive business study also offers information regarding the macroeconomic and microeconomic factors that could aid in comprehending the growth potential of the ileostomy market during the forecast period of 2019-2027.
The size of the ileostomy market is evaluated in terms of value (US$ Mn). Information covered in this study on the ileostomy market will help stakeholders identify lucrative opportunities for business advancement. This comprehensive guide outlines the key market players operating in the ileostomy market, in order to offer actionable insights regarding the strategies adopted by them, so as to aid stakeholders in gaining an upper hand in the competitive landscape. This exclusive research report also offers a detailed overview of the market players, along with their financials, strategies, and notable developments.
Key players profiled in this comprehensive study include 3M, Smith & Nephew PLC, B. Braun Melsungen AG, ConvaTec, Inc., Coloplast A/S, Hollister Incorporated, Marlen Manufacturing, Flexicare Medical LTD, Pelican Healthcare, and Salts Healthcare.
Ileostomy Market - Key Questions Answered
The global study on the ileostomy market encapsulates an overview, presenting rare and distinguishing insights that cover information culled from a microscopic as well as macroscopic level of the market. This exclusive research report also provides salient answers to crucial questions concerning stakeholders in the ileostomy market. Some of the crucial questions answered in this comprehensive research report are:
- What is the ileostomy demand scenario in terms of volume and value?
- How will the ileostomy market evolve during the forecast period of 2019-2027?
- What are the key restraints and threats observed by market players operating in the ileostomy market?
- What are the crucial macroeconomic as well as microeconomic trends catapulting the growth of the ileostomy market?
Ileostomy Market - Research Methodology
A robust research methodology, combining primary and secondary research was employed to compile the study on the ileostomy market. With a view of conducting primary research, key opinion leaders, significant market players, key manufacturers, distributors, and business heads were consulted. In order to conduct secondary research on the ileostomy market, company annual reports, financial reports, publications, and press releases were referred to.
Ileostomy Market - Segmentation
This comprehensive market study on the ileostomy market offers a comprehensive assessment of the attractiveness of the ileostomy market by assessing the key segments. The global business study also covers a country-wise assessment, in order to present information regarding the demand and supply ratio of the ileostomy market.
Each of these segments have been analyzed and studied in this comprehensive report, with a view of offering actionable insights regarding the future growth of the ileostomy market. This detailed guide on the ileostomy market offers the historical, current, and futuristic trends shaping the growth of the landscape. In addition to this, this detailed guide also presents crucial information on the value chain, Y-o-Y growth, and supply chain. The business study assesses the ileostomy market on the basis of procedure, equipment, disease indication, end user, and region.
Belts & Girdles
Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Middle East and Africa