Histology & Cytology Market
Histology & Cytology Market (Type of Examination: Histology and Cytology; Product: Instruments & Analysis Software System and Consumables & Reagents; Test Type: Microscopy Methods, Flow Cytometry, and Molecular Genetic Methods; and End User: Hospitals & Clinics, Academic & Research Institutes, and Others) – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020-2030
Press Release :
Emergence of Novel Technologies to Aid Market Growth
Histology and cytology are the critical area of study in the medical field wherein diseases in organs, tissues, and bodily fluids are diagnosed. Histology and cytology are an integral part of pathology and due to research & development activities and advancements in technology, the adoption of histology and cytology is expected to scale new heights in the upcoming decade. Advancements in digital pathology are set to pave the way for innovations, data collection techniques, and diagnostic care over the course of the next few years due to which, the global histology & cytology market is staring at a bright future.
Technological advancements are expected to redefine the pathological field in the upcoming years wherein gathering, processing, and utilizing the data with utmost efficiency is projected to gain momentum– a factor that is anticipated to propel the global histology & cytology market during the assessment period. Progress in precision medicine is also expected to accelerate the growth of the market for histology and cytology during the forecast period, as more number of medical experts are increasingly moving away from the one-size-fits-all approach. The increasing correlation between data derived from various patient tests conducted and clinical data is anticipated to provide considerable boost to the overall growth of the global histology & cytology market in the upcoming years.
At the back of these factors, along with fast-paced integration of molecular diagnostic assays into pathology that continue to revolutionize the field of diagnostic cytology, the global histology & cytology market is on the course to attain a market value of US$ 28.7 Bn by the end of 2030. Increasing prevalence of cancer and growing awareness pertaining to the benefits of cervical cancer screening programs are likely to provide a further boost to the overall growth of the global histology & cytology market during the assessment period.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Histology & Cytology Market
Integration of Digital Technologies to Shape Future of Pathology
Pathology is one of the key elements of the global healthcare ecosystem and in the current day and age, traditional pathological techniques are gradually being replaced with advanced and modern pathological advancements. The onset of digital technologies is likely to shape the future of the global histology & cytology market in terms of boosting efficiency and scalability. Furthermore, the growing adoption of digital technologies is expected to accelerate the speed and accuracy of diagnosis due to which, the concept of digital pathology is gaining considerable traction worldwide.
The growing adoption of digital whole-slide-imaging (WSI) enables pathologists to visualize and capture the complete tissue on the slide in comparison with the view provided by the microscope– a factor that is expected to improve the accuracy of pathological processes and minimize its subjectivity. Digital slides pave the way for computer-assisted quantitative analytics, speedier image search, and efficient retrieval of slides. The global histology & cytology market is expected to take the digital path in the upcoming years, as digital technologies continue to bridge the gap between medical experts and patients. The growing adoption of artificial intelligence (AI) is projected to provide fertile grounds for the growth to the players operating in the current histology & cytology market. Advancements in precision medicine and AI are anticipated to improve care delivery due to which, more number of pathologists around the world are increasing embracing digital technologies. This factor is likely to provide a boost to the global histology & cytology market during the assessment period.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
COVID-19 Crisis: Adoption on Rise as Experts Focus on Gathering Data on Pathological Changes in Various Organs
The onset of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has inflicted a threat to public health worldwide. The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic is expected have a moderate impact on the global histology & cytology market in 2020. The healthcare sector, by and large, is expected to function in full swing during the pandemic, as governments have categorized healthcare services as essential. Furthermore, during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, researchers and medical experts are increasingly focusing on understanding pathological changes in various organs in patients affected by COVID-19. Although COVID-19 primarily affects respiratory and the immune system, the disease could also have a compromising effect on other systems, including urinary and gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular, reproductive system, integumentary system, and nervous system.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Histology & Cytology Market
The global histology & cytology market is expected to expand at an impressive CAGR of ~10% during the forecast period. Increasing prevalence of cancer cases worldwide, advancements in pathological research, advent of digital technologies, along with growing support from governments are some of the key factors anticipated to drive the global histology & cytology market during the assessment period. Moreover, the integration of digital technologies such as AI will redefine the histology & cytology market landscape in the upcoming years, and boost efficiency and accuracy of pathological tests.
Histology & Cytology Market: Overview
- A pathology laboratory consists of two areas: histopathology and cytopathology. Histology involves the study of tissues and cytology involves the study of cells. Tissues and cells are derived from various organs of the human body.
- The histology laboratory is responsible for the preparation of tissue for diagnosis by pathologists. The cytology laboratory is capable of detecting microscopic cancerous and pre-cancerous changes that occur at the cellular level, often long before the clinical symptoms occur (e.g. the Pap smear).
- Rise in prevalence of cancer and increase in automation in cytology and histology are projected to drive the global histology & cytology market. Increase in awareness about cancer diagnostics and incorporation of automation in cytology & histology are anticipated to augment the global market in the near future.
- The global prevalence of cancer has been rising significantly, and the disease is considered the second major cause of death after cardiovascular diseases. Various factors contributing to the rise in prevalence of cancer include urbanization, tobacco smoking, increasing pollution, changing diet patterns, and surge in the post-reproductive life span.
- According to the National Cancer Institute, over 1,806,590 new cases of cancer are anticipated to be diagnosed in the U.S. in 2020. The most common types of cancer affecting people include breast, prostate, lung & bronchus, bladder, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, pancreatic, thyroid, and liver.
- Incorporation of automation aids in improving the accuracy of test results and shortening the time needed to perform the tests. Major types of automated devices employed in cytology laboratories include specimen collection and preparation devices, manual screening adjunctive devices, and automated screening devices. In 2019, Hologic’s ThinPrep Genesis processor for cytology slide and molecular test preparation received CE IVD mark in Europe. This system increases the automation capabilities by preparing the slides for cytology as well as aliquot samples for molecular testing, thereby reducing manual sample handling.
Reimbursement for Cancer Screening
- Government and non-government agencies provide reimbursement for cancer screening tests performed. Medicaid programs in all the states and in the District of Columbia provide reimbursement coverage for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening. However, Medicaid reimbursements differ substantially among the states and are usually below Medicare reimbursement levels. Increase in the reimbursement levels for screening tests could aid in expanding the supply of facilities providing services for Medicaid beneficiaries.
- Cancer Services Program offers reimbursement for cervical cytology or the Pap smear test once every three years for women aged 40 years and above with an intact cervix and a prior negative test. Furthermore, reimbursement is offered for cervical screening carried out through Pap smear for women aged between 21 years and 29 years at a frequency of three years.
Market Segmentation: Histology & Cytology Market
- In terms of type of examination, the global histology & cytology market has been bifurcated into histology and cytology. The cytology segment has been split into cervical cancer, breast cancer, oral cancer, and others.
- Based on product, the global histology & cytology market has been categorized into instruments & analysis software system and consumables & reagents
- In terms of test type, the global histology & cytology market has been classified into microscopy methods, flow cytometry, and molecular genetic methods. The microscopy methods segment has been segregated into cytochemistry & histochemistry and immunohistochemistry & immunofluorescence. The molecular genetic methods segment has been split into cytogenic tests, polymerase chain reaction, and others.
- Based on end user, the global histology & cytology market has been divided into hospitals & clinics, academic & research institutes, and others
- Each of the segments has been analyzed in detail for histology & cytology trends, recent trends & developments, drivers, restraints, opportunities, and useful insights. The histology & cytology market report provides current and future revenue (US$ Mn) for each of these segments for the period from 2018 to 2030, considering 2019 as the base year. The compound annual growth rate (% CAGR) has been provided for each segment and market from 2020 to 2030, along with market size estimations.
Regional Overview: Histology & Cytology Market
- In terms of region, the global histology & cytology market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The regions have been divided into major countries and sub-regions.
- Stringent government regulations, presence of large-scale research units, and awareness about drug safety are the key factors projected to augment the market in North America. The market in Asia Pacific is driven by favorable business environment and government initiatives to improve healthcare infrastructure. Moreover, increase in focus on research & development is anticipated to augment the market in the region.
- Current and future market sizes in terms of value (US$ Mn) of these regional markets and major countries have been provided in the report for the period from 2018 to 2030, along with their CAGRs for the period from 2020 to 2030
- The study also offers a list of recommendations, highlights, and useful insights of the market, which are estimated to help new companies willing to enter the market and existing companies to increase market share and in the decision-making process
- The report concludes with the company profiles section that includes key information about the major players in the global histology & cytology market
- Leading players analyzed in the report are
- Dickinson and Company
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Hologic, Inc.
- Merck KGaA
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- Sysmex Corporation
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Trivitron Healthcare
- Each of these players has been profiled in the report based on parameters such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, product portfolio, business segments, and recent developments
Histology & Cytology Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global histology & cytology market studies the past as well as the current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2020 to 2030. The report provides the revenue of the global histology & cytology market for the period 2018–2030, considering 2019 as the base year and 2030 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) of the global histology & cytology market from 2020 to 2030.
The report has been prepared after extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global histology & cytology market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various attributes of the global histology & cytology market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global histology & cytology market. These serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as entities interested in participating in the global histology & cytology market.
The report also delves into the competition landscape of the global histology & cytology market. Key players operating in the global histology & cytology market have been identified and each one of these has been profiled in terms of various attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are attributes of players in the global histology & cytology market that have been profiled in this report
Key Questions Answered in Histology & Cytology Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by histology & cytology providers across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the global histology & cytology market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the global market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which product segment is expected to generate the highest revenue globally in 2030? Which segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What are the market positions of different companies operating in the global market?
Histology & Cytology Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global histology & cytology market begins with an overview, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study and key vendors and distributors operating in the market and regulatory scenario for approval of products.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into smaller ones. The report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that have been appropriately interspersed. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the global histology & cytology market in terms of type of examination, test type, product, end user, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2030 has been provided. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders to make informed business decisions for investment in the global histology & cytology market.
Histology & Cytology Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global histology & cytology market includes information divided into five segments: type of examination, test type, product, end user, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global histology & cytology market have been discussed in detail.
Type of Examination