Healthcare Specialty Enzymes Market: Introduction
Enzymes are complex proteins capable of inducing chemical changes in other substances without being changed themselves. The specificity of enzymes to certain tissues or organs aids in identifying the site of damage, which helps in disease diagnosis. Changing levels of Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) in the blood is a preferred approach to detect the onset of cardiovascular diseases; this enzyme is specifically found in the heart and skeletal muscle in two distinguished forms.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Healthcare Specialty Enzymes Market
- Specialty enzymes are employed in various diagnostic applications such as DNA manipulation and sequencing. Decline in cost of DNA manipulation and sequencing is projected to drive the demand and increase usage of enzymes in research & biotechnology and pharmaceuticals applications. Increase in geriatric population in developed countries is also anticipated to propel the demand for healthcare specialty enzymes. Research & biotechnology application of enzymes is estimated to increase at a rapid pace, as advances in diagnostic tests due to decline in DNA sequencing costs are likely to lead to increase in testing in agricultural, food, and medical applications. Moreover, large pharmaceutical companies continue to boost research & development spending on biologics to expand their new drug pipelines.
- Investments by various multinational enzyme manufacturers operating in the global healthcare specialty enzymes market, such as Novozymes, Codexis, and Biocatalysts, has been increasing for the last few years. The healthcare specialty enzymes market is driven by continued investment in biotechnology and genetics, as pharmaceutical companies rely on biotechnology to overcome difficulties in introducing successful new small molecule drugs to the market.
- The enzyme industry is concentrated, with top players dominating the market. This is because enzyme products require specialized knowledge of manufacturing processes such as fermentation. Technical and niche nature of the business, reliance on R&D, and shortage of qualified professionals act as entry barriers for new players in the global specialty enzyme market.
Polymerases & nucleases segment to dominate global healthcare specialty enzymes market
- Based on type, the global healthcare specialty enzymes market can be divided into carbohydrases, proteases, lipases, polymerases & nucleases and others. The carbohydrases segment can be further sub-segmented into amylases, cellulases, and other.
- The polymerases & nucleases segment dominated the market, in terms of revenue, in 2019. Rise in usage of polymerase and nuclease enzymes in advanced biotech applications, such as DNA sequencing and DNA amplification, fuels the segment. A shift from immunoassay and biochemistry analysis to molecular diagnostics and adoption of genetic testing for various prenatal diseases and infectious diseases drives the polymerases and nucleases segment. The segment is also projected to expand at a robust growth rate during the forecast period owing to increased focus of manufacturers on the development of polymerases and nucleases.
Pharmaceuticals Witness Highest Growth
- Based on application, the global healthcare specialty enzymes market can be divided into pharmaceuticals, research & biotechnology, diagnostics, and biocatalysts
- The pharmaceuticals segment dominated the global market in 2019. It is projected to maintain its position during the forecast period. Pharmaceutical companies such as Sanofi India, Alkem Labs, Emcure Pharma and Torrent Pharma use these healthcare specialty enzymes as active ingredients in their drugs and nutraceuticals for the treatment of various diseases. In nutraceuticals, which are primarily US focused, the company uses these enzymes in dietary supplements, functional foods such as breakfast cereals, sports drinks, etc.
- The research & biotechnology segment is estimated to expand at a considerable CAGR during the forecast period
Microorganisms segment to dominate global healthcare specialty enzymes
- Based on source, the global healthcare specialty enzymes market can be segregated into microorganisms, plants, and animals
- In terms of revenue, the microorganisms segment accounted for a notable share of the market in 2019 owing to the unique characteristics induced in enzymes derived from microbes. Fermented microbial enzyme products offer several advantages including broad ranges of pH, temperatures, and varied specificities regarding the substrate. Key factors that encourage manufacturers to opt for enzymes from microbial sources are their active and stable nature and their capability to degrade a wide range of complex substrates into more useful energy sources.
North America to dominate global healthcare specialty enzymes market
- In terms of region, the global healthcare specialty enzymes market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- North America accounted for a prominent share of the global healthcare specialty enzymes market in 2019. Introduction of new policies, such as Affordable Care Act, has increased the demand for high-quality healthcare facilities. Demand for preventive healthcare is another factor driving the healthcare specialty enzymes market, which in turn is fueling the healthcare specialty enzymes market in North America.
- Developing economies in Asia Pacific and Latin America provide significant opportunities in the healthcare specialty enzymes market owing to government initiatives, such as awareness programs and increase in geriatric population that is more prone to metabolic diseases and certain metabolic disorders that would lead to a large potential patient base, is likely to boost the healthcare specialty enzymes market in these regions. For instance, the healthcare expenditure in China is likely to increase from US$ 357 Bn in 2011 to around US$ 1,000 Bn by 2020.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global healthcare specialty enzymes market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Roche Holding
- Dyadic International
- Advanced Enzymes
- Amano Enzymes
- Enzyme Supplies
- BBI Solutions
- Specialty Enzymes & Probiotics
- Antozyme Biotech
- Enzyme Development Corporation
- Nagase & Co. Ltd.
- Sekisui Diagnostics
Healthcare Specialty Enzymes Market: Research Scope
Healthcare Specialty Enzymes Market, by Type
- Polymerases & Nucleases
Healthcare Specialty Enzymes Market, by Application
- Research & Biotechnology
Healthcare Specialty Enzymes Market, by Source
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.