Graphite Coatings Market: Overview
- Graphite coatings are types of coatings employed to protect the underlying surface from corrosion. Graphite is made of carbon atoms connected to one another in a hexagonal shape, forming a honeycomb-like structure.
- Graphene is simply a single layer of graphite. Graphite is one of the naturally occurring allotropes of carbon, which originates from metamorphic rock. It is found across the globe, including South America, Asia, and North America.
- Chemical bonds in graphite coatings are equivalent in strength to those in diamond coatings. However, the physical structure of carbon atoms differs between graphite and carbon. Graphite contains two-dimensional lattice bonds, while diamond contains three-dimensional lattice bonds.
- Graphite acts as a major additive to coating systems, wherein it functions as a refractory material, lubricant, thermal conductor, electric conductor, corrosion shield, and pigment
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of Graphite Coatings Market report
Key Drivers of Graphite Coatings Market
- Graphite coatings are primarily used in sectors such as steel and aerospace. In the steel industry, graphite coatings are primarily employed to protect steel from corrosive and moist environments. Graphite coatings do not emit gases or vacuum-interfering moisture. They form a barrier and protect surfaces from the oxidation process. Graphite coatings are also perfect for use in coating of graphite crucibles used for metallurgical processing. Graphite coatings can be used to protect graphite electrodes employed in arc-melting furnaces. Demand for steel-based products is estimated to increase in the near future. This, in turn, would boost sales of graphite coatings in the next few years.
- Millennial are major end-users of technology-driven products such as smartphones, computers, tablets, and LCD television sets. Graphite coatings are used in these electronic products for surface protection. With the increasing demand for smartphones and tablets, the usage of graphite coatings is also likely to increase in the near future.
- Corrosion protection is an important point of concern in the global aerospace industry, which calls for use of lightweight materials. Graphite coatings are popular in the aerospace industry, as they can safeguard assets from corrosion. The conductive feature of graphite coatings is an additional benefit in the aerospace industry. This feature is estimated to boost the global market for graphite coatings in the near future.
- As per the Paris Agreement, a majority of developed as well as developing countries have joined hands to reduce carbon emissions and maintain increase in the average global temperature to below 2°C. These countries are shifting toward electric vehicles and are producing renewable energy. France is planning to ban the sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030. Demand for battery charging stations surged by 44% in 2018 over that in 2017. These moves by countries such as India and France are collectively propelling the demand for electric vehicles, and thereby augmenting the sale of graphite coatings.
Key Restraints of Global Graphite Coatings Market
- Graphite/Graphene is produced in small quantities and sold at very high prices (US$ 50 to US$ 10,000 per gram). Other substitutes such as silica and ceramic coatings are available at a lower price than graphite coatings.
Types of Graphite Coatings
- Based on type, the global graphite coatings market can be classified into hydrophobic, conductive, and chemically resistant. Hydrophobic graphene coatings are used in applications wherein water-resistant surfaces are required, such as ship hulls, pot/pan liners, and textiles. Graphite coatings have a wide range of applications in the marine industry to protect ship hulls from corrosion and bio-fouling. By stopping the growth of microorganisms on surfaces, graphite coatings help improve the performance of ships for a long period of time.
- Conductive graphene coatings are employed to protect cellphones, tablets, computers, television screens, and other displays. These coatings help in enhancing thermal and electric conductivity of the base metal, on which the coating is applied. Over the last few years, the demand for mobile phones, smartphones, and tablets has risen. This factor is likely to boost the global market for graphite coatings during the forecast period.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
Key manufacturers operating in the global graphite coatings market are:
- Coidan Graphite Products Ltd
- R.R. Techno Services
- Van Sickle Paint Mfg. Co
- SPS Coatings
- Elcora Advanced Materials Corp.
- IGL Coatings
- Graphite Innovation & Technologies Inc.
Global Graphite Coatings Market: Research Scope
Global Graphite Coatings Market, by Application
- Advanced Batteries & Transistors
- Solar Cells
Global Graphite Coatings Market, by Type
- Chemically Resistant
Global Graphite Coatings Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.