Global Ferrosilicon Market: Introduction
- Ferrosilicon is an alloy of iron, silicon, coal, and coke. Ferrosilicon typically has silicon content ranging between 15 wt% and 90 wt%.
- Ferrosilicon is primarily used for steel and cast iron applications, as it offers superior properties such as high strength, hardness, and resistance to corrosion and high temperatures. Around 90% of ferrosilicon is consumed in the production of iron and steel.
- Raw materials used for the production of ferrosilicon include charcoal, quartz, and mill scale. Ferrosilicon is produced by reducing quartzite with coke, charcoal, etc. A very high consumption power of 9,000 KWh – 10,000 KWh is required to produce one ton of ferrosilicon.
- Ferrosilicon is used for the inoculation of iron to accelerate graphitization in the manufacture of cast iron. Ferrosilicon can be employed in electrode coatings that are used in arc welding. Ferrosilicon is used for the production of ductile iron also.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Ferrosilicon Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Rise in Demand for Production of Steel and Metal Alloys to Drive Market
- Growing adoption of ferrosilicon in the manufacture of steel and metal alloys is likely to drive the global ferrosilicon market during the forecast period
- Ferrosilicon provides increased resistance to corrosion and improves hardness and tensile strength of steel. Demand for steel is high in industries such as automotive, construction, and manufacturing.
- Rising investments in the steel sector is one of the major factors driving the global ferrosilicon market. SAIL (Steel Authority of India Limited) is planning to increase its production capacity from 13 MTPA to 50 MTPA by 2025.
- Similarly, strategic alliances among key manufacturers and the entry of international companies into steel manufacture are anticipated to fuel the global ferrosilicon market during the forecast period
- Rising demand for renewable energy is another major factor driving the global ferrosilicon market. Steel plays a remarkable role in developing infrastructure for generation of electricity from renewable energy, such as solar, tidal, and wind energy.
Availability of Substitute Ferroalloys to Hamper Market
- Alternative products, such as ferroaluminum, ferrochromium, and ferro magnesium, are preferred over ferro silicone in the steel industry, owing to their easy availability. This factor is likely to hamper the global ferrosilicon market during the forecast period.
- Continuous exposure to ferrosilicon has reportedly caused cancer among workers carrying out mining activities. This is another factor restraining the global ferrosilicon market.
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Ferrosilicon Market
- In terms of region, the global ferrosilicon market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific accounts for a significant share of the global ferrosilicon market. Presence of a highly attractive building & construction industry, advancements made in infrastructure development, and rising investments in the steel industry are anticipated to augment the demand for ferrosilicon in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
- The highly attractive steel industry in China and India is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities to the ferrosilicon market in Asia Pacific in the next few years. In terms of production, China dominates the global ferrosilicon market. In 2017, in terms of production, it accounted for 66% share of the global ferrosilicon market.
- Presence of a highly attractive electronics & semiconductor industry and increasing demand from South Korea and ASEAN are likely to fuel the demand for ferrosilicon in Asia Pacific during the forecast period
To Get a Bird’s Eye View of Ferrosilicon Market Forecast, Ask for a Custom Report
Key Players Operating in Global Ferrosilicon Market
The global ferrosilicon market is moderately fragmented, with top manufacturers accounting for a major market share. Prominent players operating in the global market are entering into partnerships for the development of highly advanced ferrosilicon.
Key players operating in the global ferrosilicon market are:
- Dow Corning
- Mitsubishi Polycrystalline Silicon
- Hemlock Semiconductor Operations LLC
- Advanced Metallurgical Group
- Ferro Alloys Corporation Limited,
- China National Bluestar (Group) Co, Ltd.
- OM Holdings Ltd.
Global Ferrosilicon Market: Research Scope
Global Ferrosilicon Market, by Application
- Steel & Metallurgy
- Ferrous Foundry
- Others (Heavy Media Separation, Atomization)
Global Ferrosilicon Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.