Feminine hygiene products, also referred as menstrual care products, are used by women, some transgender men, and genderqueer (non-binary) population. These include sanitary napkins/pads, tampons, panty liners, period panties, and menstrual cups. Feminine cleansing and deodorizing agents such as douche, deodorants, feminine powders, feminine soaps, feminine wipes, internal cleaners, and sprays shields are also feminine hygiene products. Sanitary pads are made from different types of materials such as quilted cotton fabrics and superabsorbent polymer layers which are impermeable to liquids. The global feminine hygiene products market is projected to witness significant growth during the forecast period.
Factors driving the global feminine hygiene products market are increasing disposable income, growing awareness about sanitization, and rising demand for products such as tampons, and panty liners in developed countries. However, conventional napkins contain several synthetic products such as rayon dioxin, allergy-provoking metal dyes, and highly processed wood pulp which are responsible for allergies, infection, and inflammation. Some of these chemicals have proven to be carcinogenic after long-term use. Health issues caused by sanitary napkins, and increasing environmental concerns are factors negatively affecting the global feminine hygiene products market. Demand for cloth sanitary pads, pads made from organic materials & biodegradable products, among women is increasing in order to reduce health hazards caused by irritants, dyes, and harmful chemicals found in sanitary napkins or tampons. This presents lucrative opportunity for vendors to strengthen their market position through the development of premium and innovative products in this segment. Recent trend followed by manufacturers in developed countries is to maintain brand loyalty and continuous innovation, while in developing countries, these are working on spreading awareness about feminine hygiene especially in areas where cultural and regional misbeliefs dominate.
The global feminine hygiene products market can be segmented based on product type, distribution channel, and region. In terms of product type, the global feminine hygiene products market can be segmented into menstrual care products and cleaning & deodorizing products. Menstrual care products can be sub-segmented into sanitary napkins/pads, panty liners, tampons, menstrual cups, and period panties. The sanitary pads/napkins sub-segment accounted for the largest share of the menstrual care products segment. Procter & Gamble’s Whisper and Energizer Holdings, Inc.’s Stayfree dominate the sanitary napkins sub-segment. The sanitary pads/napkins sub-segment is expected to lead the market during the forecast period. Materials used to produce sanitary napkins are cotton, dioxin rayon, wood pulp, and superabsorbabe polymers which convert into gel when wet, and impermeable plastic sheets. Additionally, various fragrances and antibacterial agents are included. The sanitary napkins sub-segment can be further classified into panty liner, ultra-thin, regular, maxi/super, overnight, and maternity pads. Traditionally, cloth menstrual pads were used which have regained importance due to safety issues of commercially available sanitary pads. The cleansing & deodorizing products segment can be sub segmented into deodorants, douche, feminine powders, feminine soaps, disposable razors & blades, feminine wipes, internal cleaners, bikini wax, and sprays shields. Based on distribution channel, the global feminine hygiene products market can be segmented in-to supermarkets, drug stores, pharmacies & beauty stores, and online & other channels.
In terms of region, the global feminine products market can be segmented in-to North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific has emerged as the largest market owing to large population, increasing per capita income, rising number of working women, and growing health awareness among women. China, Japan, and India dominate the feminine hygiene product market in Asia Pacific. Government initiatives to spread awareness about importance of sanitation during menstrual periods, easy availability of products in stores, product advertisements, and increasing urbanization are factors propelling the feminine hygiene products market in the region. Demand for innovative products such as tampons and internal cleaners & sprays is high in developed regions such as North America and Western Europe. In the U.S., stringent requirements of the FDA about biocompatibility testing, study regarding appropriate duration of sanitary napkin use, risk of adverse tissue reaction, and toxic shock syndrome are challenging the entry of products in the country. The global feminine hygiene products market has experienced less penetration.
Key players operating in the global feminine hygiene products market are Procter & Gamble, Energizer Holdings, Inc., Edgewell Personal Care, Unicharm Corporation, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, Lil-Lets Group Ltd., Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, Biochemix Healthcare Private Limited, and Hengan International Group Co. Ltd., among others.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.