Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market
Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market (Product: Conventional Devices, Wearable Devices; End User: Hospitals & Clinics, Home Care Settings, Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market: Healthcare Professionals Seek Solutions to Overcome Diagnostic Challenges
Complexities involved in diagnosing and treating epilepsy, seizures, and similar disorders pose a major challenge for healthcare providers. Typically, based on the magnitude of the seizure or the condition of the patient, healthcare professionals could turn to simulation techniques, surgical procedures, or suggest a diet to patients susceptible to epilepsy. The evaluation and diagnosis of epilepsy have come a long way in recent years due to significant progress in technology and the advent of computer-based epilepsy monitoring devices. Epilepsy monitoring devices provide critical insights to professionals pertaining to the type of seizure based on which, they can provide the most suitable treatment to the patient. Further, these devices have played an imperative role in minimizing the number of Sudden Death due to Epilepsy (SUDEP) cases, due to which, demand in the epilepsy monitoring devices market is expected to witness significant increase.
As such, the value of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market is set to witness 1.7X growth over the forecast period (2019-2027), at the back of the ascending demand for wearable epilepsy devices, worldwide.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market
Advances in Wearable Technology Show Promise in Preventing Epileptic Seizures
Seizure symptoms could wary from patient to patient. While some patients may lose control and blankly stare for a few seconds, others may move their arms and legs repeatedly during a seizure. Although there is no concrete solution to stop a seizure when it occurs, rapid progress in wearable epileptic device technology has garnered significant popularity in the past few years. Wearable epileptic devices notify a patient about the possibility of a seizure in advance - a major factor that is expected to influence the adoption of these devices in the near future.
Research & development activities pertaining to the use of wearable epilepsy monitoring devices are in full swing, particularly in developed regions such as North America and Europe - two regions with robust healthcare facilities and infrastructure. For instance, researchers from the Universities of Trieste, Strasbourg, Manchester, and International School for Advanced Studies, Italy, revealed that, minute flakes of graphene have the potential of stopping epileptic seizures. The team of researchers further elaborated on how graphene flakes interfere with the signal at excitatory neuronal synaptic junctions, and thereby prevent seizures.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Significant advances in technology aimed toward improving the accuracy of epilepsy monitoring devices have presented a plethora of opportunities for manufacturers operating in the epilepsy monitoring devices market. The adoption of wearable epilepsy devices is expected to increase over the assessment period, owing to advancements in technology and swift clearances from regulatory bodies. The wearable devices segment within the epilepsy monitoring devices market, is thus, projected to attain a value of ~390 Mn by the end of 2027, providing an incremental opportunity of ~US$ 160 Mn during the forecast period.
Manufacturers Developing Monitoring Devices to Reduce SUDEP Cases
Manufacturers operating in the epilepsy monitoring devices market are highly inclined toward offering solutions that would reduce the number of sudden unexpected deaths in epilepsy cases, worldwide. At present, SUDEP poses as a major threat, and is a cause of concern for patients suffering from neurological problems that cannot be treated using medication. Furthermore, within this population, mal seizures, also known as tonic-clonic seizures, is a major concern, as it could lead to muscle contractions and loss of consciousness - two symptoms linked with SUDEP, especially when the patient is alone.
However, to address this problem, several companies are engaged in the development of efficient epilepsy monitoring devices. For instance, Empatica launched a wearable epilepsy monitoring device, Embrace, to ensure that a patient would receive immediate care, post seizure. Further, the device sends an alert to the patient and his/her caretaker when the sensors detect a pattern that indicates the possibility of a seizure. The device was cleared by the FDA in 2018 for use in adults. Trends within the pediatric medical device development space suggest that, acceptance for pediatric devices could potentially decade around 5-10 years. However, Empatica received FDA clearance within 12 months - providing a significant boost to the adoption of wearable epilepsy monitoring devices, and indirectly aiding the growth of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Analyst’s Viewpoint on Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market
Strides taken regarding biometric monitoring wearables in the past few years are likely to play a key role in the development of the epilepsy monitoring devices market. Further, as technology continues to unravel the threads of the complex epilepsy detection process, the uptake of wrist-worn epilepsy monitoring devices is likely to increase in the near future. Market players operating in the current epilepsy monitoring devices market landscape should focus on rolling out products that are integrated with state-of-the-art machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) technologies, to improve the accuracy of their products. In addition, ascending investments in R&D activities will play an important role in the further progress of the epilepsy monitoring devices market in the near future.
Global Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the epilepsy monitoring devices market for the historical period of 2017–2018 and forecast period of 2019–2027, rise in the prevalence of epilepsy, and increase in incidence of head injuries, brain cancer, infections, and substance abuse are anticipated to drive the global epilepsy monitoring devices market.
- According to the report, the global epilepsy monitoring devices market was valued at ~US$ 530 Mn in 2018. The epilepsy monitoring devices market is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~6% from 2019 to 2027.
Rise in Prevalence of Epilepsy: A Key Driver
- According to the WHO, epilepsy accounts for a considerable proportion of the world’s disease burden; globally, more than 50 million people are affected by this disease. The projected proportion of the general population suffering from active epilepsy (i.e. recurring seizures or with the requirement for treatment) at a given time is between 4 and 10 per 1,000 people. However, some studies conducted in low- and middle-income countries suggest that, the proportion is higher, between 7 and 15 per 1,000 people, making it a highly common neurological disease. This, in turn, drives the global epilepsy monitoring devices market.
- According to the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER), for a majority of people with epilepsy, seizures can be controlled by treatment with medication, or sometimes, surgery. Some people may require lifelong treatment to control seizures. This factor propels the epilepsy monitoring devices market.
Genetic Factors Associated with Brain Malformations Propelling Market
- The International League against Epilepsy (ILAE) Commission for Classification of Epilepsy divided epilepsies into three categories (genetic, structural/metabolic, unknown cause) according to the etiologies of epilepsy. Younger patients with epilepsy often show a genetic cause. Genetic factors account for around 30% of the causes in patients with epilepsy. In patients with ischemic stroke, genetic factors also contribute to the consequent epileptogenesis.
- According to the WHO, in 60% to 70% patients (at least in developed countries) where no cause for epilepsy can be found, part of these people suffer from ‘idiopathic epilepsy’ (idiopathic = spontaneous, self-generated, genetic). If one parent has idiopathic epilepsy, the risk of a child developing epilepsy is 4% to 6%, as compared to a risk of 0.3% to 0.5% in the general population (Europe). If both parents have idiopathic epilepsy, the risk rises to 12% to 20%. Therefore, genetic factors associated with brain malformations boost the growth of the epilepsy monitoring devices market.
Diagnostic Challenges to Hamper Global Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market
- According to NCBI, the diagnostic challenge comprises correctly interpreting the medical history, characteristics of the episodes, and physical and neurologic examination, and properly using & interpreting supplemental paraclinical tests.
- Diagnosing epilepsy quickly can be challenging, as other conditions, such as fainting, migraines, and panic attacks can exhibit similar symptoms. It often cannot be confirmed until a person has had more than one seizure.
- According to the Epilepsy Foundation of America, the diagnosis of psychiatric disorders in a patient with developmental disabilities (DDs) can be highly difficult, as much of a psychiatric evaluation is predicted on verbal reports of internal states, an evaluator may be very hampered and in unfamiliar territory to generate the accurate diagnosis. Consequently, a process of ‘diagnostic overshadowing’ may take place. This is likely to restrain the growth of the epilepsy monitoring devices market.
Global Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments.
- The epilepsy monitoring devices market is moderately fragmented, with the presence of a few large-scale players present in international markets and numerous small-scale players in regional markets. The top four to five players hold a majority share of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market.
- Prominent players operating in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market include
- Compumedics Limited
- Empatica, Inc.
- Masimo Corporation
- PulseGuard International Ltd.
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
- Medtronic plc
- Natus Medical Incorporated
- Nihon Kohden Corporation
Global Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market: Key Developments
Major developments by key players operating in epilepsy monitoring devices are likely to fuel the expansion of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market. Some of the growth strategies adopted by the players in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market are as follows:
- In June 2018, Compumedics Limited signed a US$ 3.6 Mn three-year distribution agreement with Japan-based Fukuda Denshi Co., Ltd for the distribution of its neurodiagnostic and monitoring devices. The distribution agreement strengthened the company’s market presence in promising markets in Asia.
- In October 2015, Adris Technologies was granted funding by the Nominet Trust, awarded for the development of PulseGuard, which led to the release of PulseGuard Pro in December 2016.
- In May 2019, Masimo Corporation announced FDA 510(k) clearance of Radius PPG, a tetherless sensor solution powered by Masimo SET. Radius PPG is a wireless system that eliminates the need of a cabled connection to a pulse oximetry monitor, allowing patients to move freely and comfortably while still being continuously monitored.
The report on the global epilepsy monitoring devices market discusses individual strategies, followed by the company profiles of epilepsy monitoring device providers. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a heat map analysis of key market players operating in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market.
Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global epilepsy monitoring devices market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the said market for the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market for the period of 2017–2027, with 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global epilepsy monitoring devices market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research involves bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts carry out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global epilepsy monitoring devices market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approach to study various phenomena in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global epilepsy monitoring devices market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market. Key players operating in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market have been identified, and each one of them has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOTs are some of the attributes of the players in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of companies in the epilepsy monitoring devices market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the epilepsy monitoring devices market from 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global epilepsy monitoring devices market?
- Will North America continue to remain the most profitable regional market for epilepsy monitoring device providers?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global epilepsy monitoring devices market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market, and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who have contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the epilepsy monitoring devices market, as primary sources.
These primary and secondary sources have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from epilepsy monitoring devices market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global epilepsy monitoring devices market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment, and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on the future prospects of the global epilepsy monitoring devices market more reliably and accurately.
Global Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market – Segmentation
Hospitals & Clinics
Home Care Settings
Middle East & Africa