Electric Discharge Machine (EDM) Market
Electric Discharge Machine (EDM) Market (Product: Die Sinking EDM, Wire Cutting EDM, and Small Hole EDM); End-use Industry: Automotive, Aerospace and Defense, Manufacturing, Healthcare, Consumer Goods, and Electrical & Electronics) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Electric Discharge Machine – Ideal Substitute for Traditional Machining Techniques
The manufacturing sector worldwide is booming at a rapid pace. With the growing emphasis on precision and accuracy, conventional machining techniques are gradually being replaced by non-conventional machining processes, thereby driving the growth of the global electric discharge machine market. Among all the non-conventional machining processes deployed across the manufacturing sector, electric discharge machining has emerged as one of the most efficient techniques, which caters to the evolving requirement of the manufacturing sector. Electric discharge machines are extensively used across a broad range of industry verticals, including automotive, aerospace & defense, manufacturing, healthcare, and electronics.
As electric discharge machines have time and again assisted manufacturers to achieve the desired accuracy levels, its adoption is growing at a steady rate. The electric discharge machine market, which was valued at ~US$ 4.5 Bn in 2018 and is poised to attain a value of ~US$ 6.1 Bn by the end of 2027. The growth is expected to be primarily driven by advancement in technology, escalating demand from pharmaceutical device manufacturers, and inefficient conventional techniques such as grinding, milling, and polishing.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Electric Discharge Machine Market
Adoption of Cost-effective Wire Electric Discharge Machines to Gain Momentum
Among the different types of electric discharge machines, wire cutting electric discharge machines have gained significant popularity over the past couple of decades. Electric discharge machines were typically developed to overcome the shortcomings put forward by traditional electric discharge machines. These machines entered the electric discharge machine market in the late 1960s and were predominantly used to manufacture hardened steel and dies. However, at present, these machines are widely used to manufacture fixtures & gauges, extrusion tools, medicals parts, etc. Furthermore, wire cutting electric discharge machines are extensively used to extract complex and irregular shapes in various hard-to-machine conductive materials in nuclear, aviation, and automotive applications.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Within the electric discharge machine market landscape, wire cutting electric discharge machines are increasingly being used to machine multiple micro-scale parts in sintered materials such as metals, ceramic, silicon, and alloys. Owing to these benefits, the demand for these machines continues to increase at a steady pace. In terms of value, the wire cutting electric discharge machines segment is projected to account for over 80% of the market share in 2027, and attain a value of ~US$ 4.9 Bn by the end of the forecast period (2019-2027). At present, players operating in the global electric discharge machine market are focusing on improving the cutting speed, accuracy, and reducing the overall machining costs.
Focus on Achieving Green Manufacturing with Electric Discharge Machines
Cutting-edge discharge machines have gradually replaced traditional machining techniques, owing to their commendable hard material processing capabilities and accuracy. However, with looming concerns over environmental degradation, the industrial sector is compelled to lean toward green manufacturing processes. The application of dielectric fluid used in electric discharge machining poses a threat to the environment - a challenge that requires a swift and timely response from key participants operating in the current electric discharge machine market landscape.
Research and development activities are paving the way for greener machining solutions, including semi-dry EDM, dry EDM, and EDM in water - replacing the conventional oil EDM process. In their quest toward green manufacturing, market players are focusing on refining the existing EDM process by using novel techniques, including dry EDM. Furthermore, as these techniques do not use mineral oil-based liquid dielectric, oil-based dielectric wastes that cause significant harm to the environment are absent. Thus, dry EDM is gradually garnering the reputation of being an eco-friendly machining process. Additionally, by adopting this technique, market players aim to improve the efficiency of their processes and minimize operating costs.
Market Players Develop Products in Accord with Requirements of Industry 4.0
With the introduction of Industry 4.0, cutting-edge technologies, including the Internet of Things (IoT), cyber-physical systems, and cloud computing, among others have penetrated the modern-day industrial landscape. Key participants in the global electric discharge machine market are currently on course toward the development of new products that are in tune with Industry 4.0. Companies are focusing on expanding their product portfolio and incorporating novel technologies to stay relevant in the current market. For instance, GF Machining Solutions launched an ultramodern wire-cutting EDM machine that aims to enhance productivity, speed, accuracy, and quality.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Electric Discharge Machine Market
Analysts’ Viewpoint on Electric Discharge Machine Market
Wire discharge electric machines are likely to retain their dominance during the forecast period. Consistent developments in terms of technology and efforts to improve the accuracy and cutting-speed of these machines would continue to propel the demand for these machines. The growth of the electric discharge machine market will be influenced by the increasing demand from different end-use industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, etc. Owing to environmental concerns, market players should focus on developing eco-friendly machining processes and focus on expanding their product portfolio. The advent of Industry 4.0 will present significant opportunities during the forecast period.
Electric Discharge Machine Market – Overview
- The global electric discharge machine market is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~6%, in terms of volume, from 2019 to 2027. The market is projected to be driven by the increasing need for EDM for the development of high-end machine designs in various industries. Marketing leaders are spending more on upgrading electric discharge machines with new and latest technologies, such as automated control of electric discharge machines by means of computer numerical control (CNC).
- Industries, including automotive, aerospace and defense, and healthcare are switching from traditional to non-conventional machining processes
- The global electric discharge machine market is expected to reach ~US$ 6.1 Bn by 2027 from ~US$ 4.7 Bn in 2019
- Asia Pacific holds a major share of the electric discharge machine market, in terms of volume, and is anticipated to dominate the electric discharge machine market during the forecast period, followed by North America
- North America remains the leading region in the electric discharge machine market, with revenues in 2019 estimated at ~US$ 1.9 Bn
- The electric discharge machine market in Middle East & Africa and South America is also projected to witness moderate growth during the forecast period
- Asia Pacific is projected to lead the global electric discharge machine market during the forecast period. This is due to a large number of well-established manufacturers of electric discharge machines in the region, which has increased the demand for electric discharge machines for precise parts and tools to be manufactured in a short period. This is likely to boost the electric discharge machine market during the forecast period.
Electric Discharge Machine Market - Definition
- The electric discharge machine market report provides analysis of the global electric discharge machine market for the period of 2017-2027, wherein 2018 is the base year and 2019 to 2027 is the forecast period. Data for 2017 has been included as historical information.
- The study on the electric discharge machine market would help clients in understanding the adoption analysis of electric discharge machines in different industries
- Electric discharge machine (EDM) is a non-traditional machining and electro thermal process of removing a desired material from any work piece by using electrical spark (discharge) in between electrodes and the work piece. Referred to as "spark machining" or "spark eroding “, electric discharge machine (EDM) is an important process during metal fabrication.
Key Growth Driver of Electric Discharge Machine Market
Increasing demand for CNC electric discharge machines in automotive industry
Rise in demand for CNC electric discharge machines in the automotive industry is anticipated to drive the demand for electric discharge machines (EDM) across the world, due to its ability feature of drilling and molding. Drilling and molding are processes used in the automotive industry to manufacture complex precision parts and components. Moreover, the automotive industry largely depends on electric discharge machines for automobile fabrication and production. Furthermore, increase in production of automobiles and rise in demand for mechanical engineering products with CNC (computer numerical control) are important factors that are expected to boost the demand for electric discharge machines across the world.
Key Challenges Faced by Electric Discharge Machine Market Players
- High power consumption by EDMs and effects of thermal decomposition during the machining process are major restraints for the electric discharge machine market
- Lack of awareness among end-users such as the machine industry, fabrication, and parts and spare industry regarding the importance of electric discharge machines is one of the important factors restraining the market
Electric Discharge Machine Market – Competitive Landscape
- On July 18, 2019, Makino Milling Machine Co. Ltd introduced U6 H.E.A.T. extreme wire electric discharge machine (EDM) coated with wire technology, with the extreme feature of industry-first 0.016., to increase the machining rates up to 300%
- In November 2018, GF Machining Solutions, a subsidiary of Georg Fischer Group, won a large number of orders to provide a wide range of electric discharge machines (EDM) to the aerospace industry with a total value of ~US$ 100 Mn
- In August 2018, GF Machining Solutions entered into a strategic partnership with 3D Systems, a U.S.-based company that manufactures and sells 3D printers. The goal of this strategic collaboration is to develop integrated manufacturing solutions based on 3D printing.
Electric Discharge Machine Market – Company Profile Snapshot
GF Machining Solutions Management SA.
Established in 1861, GF Machining Solutions Management SA. is headquartered in Bern, Switzerland. The company is a leading provider of machines, automation solutions, and services to the mold and tool making industry. The company is a key manufacturer of precision components. Some of the products and solutions provided by the company are milling, EDM, advanced manufacturing, system 3R tooling-automation-software, Liechti engineering, and Step-Tec spindles.
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Incorporated in 1921, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation is based in Tokyo, Japan. The company develops, manufactures, distributes, and sells electronic and electrical equipment globally. The company provides wire-cut electrical discharge machines, die-sinking electrical discharge machines, and fine-hole drilling electrical discharge machines.
- Makino Milling Machine Co., Ltd.
Incorporated in 1937, Makino Milling Machine Co., Ltd., a prominent manufacturer of advanced machine tools, is located in Japan. The company has an extensive sales network in Asia, Europe, and the U.S. to manufacture machine tools through its innovative technological operations. Makino manufactures a wide variety of products such as milling machines, wire and RAM electric discharge machines, horizontal, vertical and graphite machining centers, and other products that are used in a wide range of industries.
- Other major players operating in the global electric discharge machine market and profiled in the report include companies such as
- Sodick Co., Ltd.
- Sparkonix (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- FANUC CORPORATION
- Georg Fischer AG
- Excetek Technologies Co., Ltd
- AccuteX Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Astro Machine Works, Inc.
- KNUTH Werkzeugmaschinen GmbH
- Ona Electroerosion, S.A.
Electric Discharge Machine Market - Scope of the Report
A latest study collated and published by Transparency Market Research (TMR) analyzes the historical and present-day scenario of the global electric discharge machine market to accurately gauge its potential future development. The study presents detailed information about the important growth factors, restraints, and key trends that are creating the landscape for the future growth of the electric discharge machine market, to identify the opportunistic avenues of the business potential for stakeholders. The report also provides insightful information about how the global electric discharge machine market will progress during the forecast period of 2019-2027.
The report offers intricate dynamics about the different aspects of the electric discharge machine market that aid companies operating in the market in making strategic development decisions. TMR’s study also elaborates on the significant changes that are highly anticipated to configure the growth of the global electric discharge machine market during the forecast period. It also includes a key indicator assessment to highlight the growth prospects of the electric discharge machine market, and estimate statistics related to the market progress in terms of value (US$ Mn) and volume (Thousand Units).
This study covers a detailed segmentation of the global electric discharge machine market, along with key information and a competitive outlook. The report mentions company profiles of key players that are currently dominating the electric discharge machine market, wherein, various developments, expansions, and winning strategies practiced and executed by leading players have been presented in detail. Furthermore, the report also mentions the import and export data of electric discharge machines of top countries with industrial production index.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Report on the Electric Discharge Machine Market
The report provides detailed information about the electric discharge machine market on the basis of a comprehensive research on various factors that are playing a key role in accelerating the growth potential of the market. Information mentioned in the report answers path-breaking questions for companies that are currently functioning in the market and are looking for innovative ways to create a unique benchmark in the electric discharge machine market, so as to help them formulate successful strategies and take target-driven decisions.
- How are key market players successfully earning revenue out of the advantages of electric discharge machines?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the electric discharge machine market between 2019 and 2027?
- What are the winning imperatives of market frontrunners in the electric discharge machine market?
- Which industry is expected to undertake maximum adoption of electric discharge machines during the forecast period?
- What is the import and export analysis of top countries for electric discharge machines across the globe?
Research Methodology – Electric Discharge Machine Market
The research methodology adopted by analysts to compile the electric discharge machine market report is based on detailed primary as well as secondary research. With the help of in-depth insights of industry-affiliated information that is obtained and legitimated by market-admissible resources, analysts have offered riveting observations and authentic forecasts of the global electric discharge machine market.
During the primary research phase, analysts interviewed industry stakeholders, investors, brand managers, vice presidents, and sales and marketing managers. On the basis of data obtained through the interviews of genuine sources, analysts have emphasized the changing scenario of the electric discharge machine market.
For secondary research, analysts scrutinized numerous annual report publications, white papers, and import and export data of major countries of the world, industrial production index, industry association publications, and company websites to obtain the necessary understanding of the electric discharge machine market.
Electric Discharge Machine Market – Segmentation
TMR’s research study assesses the electric discharge machine market on the basis of product, end-use industry, and region. The report presents extensive market dynamics and progressive trends associated with different segments, and how they influence the growth prospects of the electric discharge machine market.
Die Sinking EDM
Wire Cutting EDM
Small Hole Drilling EDM
Aerospace and Defense
Electrical & Electronics
Middle East & Africa