Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market: Introduction
- Dried blood spot collection is a procedure of collecting blood on a paper card made of cellulose to perform various diagnoses of diseases. This is a simple, noninvasive, and inexpensive blood collection method, which reduces the risk of bacterial contamination or hemolysis. DBS cards can be preserved for long periods, with almost no deterioration of the analytes.
- Increase in number of newborns and rise in demand for disease screening boost the growth of the global dried blood spot collection cards market. Moreover, product launch and introduction of technologically advanced products fuel the growth of the global market. GenTegra launched Ahlstrom GenSaver 2.0 Forensic card that offers superior protection and ability to provide substantially high yields of DNA than the classic FTA card.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market
- Increase in demand for newborn screening drives the global dried blood spot collection cards market. Rise in number of newborns drives the need of newborn screening for various diseases. According to the world population clock, over 88 billion births were reported in 2015 i.e., about 250 births per minute. Of these, more than 2.8 million babies die within the first month due to lack of skilled care and screening. Screening is required to prevent this phenomenon. Dried blood spot collection cards are used to detect various metabolic disorders. These dried spots can also be made available to parents for further health-related tests in newborns.
- However, risk of contamination and dependence on adequate sampling is likely to hamper market growth. Contamination of filter paper samples can have a substantial effect on the newborn screening results.
FTA Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- In terms of card type, the global dried blood spot collection cards market can be divided into Whatman 903, Ahlstrom 226, FTA, and others
- Whatman 903, primarily used for HIV load and HIV drug resistance (HIVDR) testing, dominated the global dried blood spot collection cards market in terms of revenue in 2018. Rise in number HIV cases drives the segment. According to the Minority HIV/AIDS Fund, about 37.9 million people across the globe were suffering from HIV/AIDS in 2018.
- However, FTA cards are expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period. These cards offer secure and reliable method for room temperature collection, transport, and storage of DNA.
North America to Dominate Global Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market
- In terms of region, the global dried blood spot collection cards market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the global dried blood spot collection cards market in 2018 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. The market in the region is driven by high demand for newborn screening for the detection of hypothyroidism, PKU, galactosemia, and sickle-cell disease. According to the CDC, around 1 in every 300 newborns are detected with one of the core conditions through newborn screening every year.
- The market in Europe is likely to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Rise in health care facilities and increase in investment & strategic steps taken by various companies boost the growth of the market in the region. In May 2017, DBS System SA raised CHF 2.5 Mn, including direct investment by a Switzerland-based pension fund, to manufacture a micro blood collection device, which is capable of passive plasma separation.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Players Operating in Global Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market
The global dried blood spot collection cards market was highly fragmented in 2018. Leading players in the global market are:
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Shimazdu Corporation
- Pall Corporation
- Eastern Business Forms, Inc.
- Whatman Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
- Centogene N.V.
Global Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market: Research Scope
Global Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market, by Application
- Newborn Screening
- Infectious Disease Testing
- Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
Global Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market, by Card Type
- Whatman 903
- Ahlstrom 226
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.