Downstream Processing Market
Downstream Processing Market (Technique: Purification, Solid-Liquid Separation, and Clarification/Concentration; Product: Chromatography Columns & Resins, Filters, Membrane Absorbers, Single-use Products, and Others; Application: Monoclonal Antibody Production, Vaccine Production, Insulin Production, Immunoglobulin Production, Erythropoietin Production, and Others; and End User: Biopharmaceutical Manufacturers and Contract Manufacturing Organizations) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020-2030
Ligand Technologies for Purifying COVID-19 Vaccines Reviving Market Growth
The latest advancements in downstream processing include ligand technologies for purifying RNA and COVID-19 vaccines. Companies in the downstream processing market are in many talks such as Navigo Proteins and Repligan, who have developed an affinity ligand targeting the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein for the purification of COVID-19 vaccines. They are focusing on the development and validation of a related affinity chromatography resin, which improves yield during the manufacturing of COVID-19 vaccines.
In order to keep economies running, companies in the downstream processing market are developing platform-based purification solutions. They are taking efforts to innovate in affinity chromatography technologies that help to comply with increasing regulatory and capacity requirements of the entire biopharmaceutical manufacturing industry, including vaccines.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Downstream Processing Market
Improvements in Downstream Recovery Enhance Ultimate Process Yield for Drug Products
The downstream processing market is expected to cross US$ 25.4 Bn by the end of 2030 at a CAGR of ~13%. However, there is a need to remove bottlenecks associated with downstream production whilst achieving cost efficiency.
Companies in the downstream processing market are increasing efforts to improve raw materials characterization and use precisely controlled bioreactors to increase upstream yields. However, improvements in downstream throughput are not keeping pace with upstream, resulting in potential bottlenecks in end-to-end processes. Hence, companies are focusing on significant capital investments in order to create larger chromatography systems for managing large production volumes. Improvements in downstream recovery is emerging as a cost efficient way of enhancing ultimate process yield for drug products.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Single-use Systems Help Speed up Product Recovery, Simplify Downstream Operations
Single-use systems are helping to achieve low production quantities, improved target recovery, and increased conformation times. Membrane adsorbers and single-use chromatography columns are being highly publicized in the downstream processing market. This is evident since research laboratories are accustomed to disposable materials, such as pipettes and tubing, and has led to the acceptance of single-use filters, chromatography columns, and membrane adsorbers.
New technologies such as spin-filters for product concentration or diafiltration are also helping to simplify downstream operations. This explains why the downstream processing market is projected to advance at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Single-use systems are helping to speed up product recovery for initial target design & confirmation and tests in animals.
Foam Fractionation Methods Help Evaluate Separation Efficiency of Biochemical Components
New process concepts and innovations in foam fractionation methods are grabbing the attention of stakeholders in the downstream processing market. For instance, Lehrstuhl für Anlagen- und Prozesstechnik - a university department in Garching bei München, Germany, is gaining recognition for its Tunable Aqueous Polymer Phase Impregnated Resins (TAPPIR) as alternative technique to classical ATPE. CPC is gaining popularity as a new technology for enzymatic reactions combined with simultaneous product separation.
Foam fractionation methods involve the evaluation of separation efficiency for biochemical components from complex fermentation broth. Companies in the downstream processing market are investigating hydrodynamic and adsorption kinetics in foam.
Advancements in Acoustophoresis Lead to Innovations in Ultrasonic Cell Separation
Innovations in technology and equipment have benefitted downstream processing. Advancements in acoustophoresis i.e. ultrasonic cell separation and high precision microfluidics for label-free cell selection are acting as key drivers for growth in the downstream processing market. Companies are gaining a strong research base in rapid gene delivery and in-line cell washing, which leads to significant productivity gains.
In order to accomplish cell separation on a clinical blood sample, companies in the downstream processing market are partnering with researchers to develop systems that perform acoustophoresis in high performance microfluidic devices. Such systems are bypassing the need for centrifugation. In the gene therapy space, companies are increasing efforts to develop microfluidic transduction modules that can co-localize viral vector around cells.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Downstream Processing Market
Due to mass inoculation of COVID-19 vaccines being supplied from India, companies in the India downstream processing market are under scrutiny for using ligand technologies to purify vaccines. Companies are realizing that the ultimate goal of downstream optimization is to improve recovery and reduce the cost per gram of protein produced. However, the complexity of downstream production is affecting market growth, since finding efficiencies and economies of scale across downstream processing steps involves complex analysis and optimization. Hence, companies should investigate key aspects of current purification steps and technologies involving the use of mixed-mode and multimode chromatography resins. They are exploring ways to make chromatographic buffers more effective by using new kinds of additives.
Downstream Processing Market: Overview
- The global downstream processing market was valued over US$ 6.7 Bn in 2019. It is projected to expand at a rapid pace from 2020 to 2030. Downstream processing is a multistep series of operations that are performed after the fermentation process for the recovery and purification of desired products. It comprises removal of insoluble, product isolation, product purification, and product polishing.
- The global downstream processing market is driven by rise in incidence rates of chronic disorders with significant unmet medical needs, increase in demand for vaccines for COVID-19, introduction of new products and solutions for microbial fermentation, and development of new biotherapeutics with smaller molecular weight
Downstream Processing Market: Segmentation
- The global downstream processing market has been segmented based on technique, product, application, end user, and region
- In terms of technique, the global downstream processing market has been categorized into purification, solid-liquid separation, and clarification/concentration
- In terms of product, the global downstream processing market has been categorized into basic chromatography columns & resins, filters, membrane absorbers, single-use products, and others
- Based on application, the global downstream processing market has been classified into monoclonal antibody production, vaccine production, insulin production, immunoglobulin production, erythropoietin production, and others
- Based on end user, the global downstream processing market has been bifurcated into biopharmaceutical manufacturers and contract research organizations
Consistent Expansion of Biopharmaceutical and Biotechnology Industries to Boost Downstream Processing Market
- Expansion of the biopharmaceutical industry can be attributed to high efficacy and fewer side effects, which these drugs offer. Similarly, the biotechnology industry has been expanding significantly, owing to continuous evolution in available technologies and introduction of new ones.
- Major pharmaceutical companies have been focusing on the biopharma industry over the past few years by investing in biotech R&D, which has resulted in better returns as compared to the average of the pharmaceutical industry in general
Development of New Biotherapeutics with Smaller Molecular Weight to Drive Downstream Processing Market
- Development of new biotherapeutics with smaller molecular weight is likely to drive the adoption of upstream as well as downstream processing equipment. Usage of these systems for the production of monoclonal antibodies, recombinant proteins, antibody fragments, antibody drug conjugate (ADCs) components, and small peptide fragments is likely to increase in the near future.
- Introduction of personalized medicines and varying product portfolio are likely to propel the demand for more flexible and small-to-medium capacity production. Instead of using large capacity fermenters, biopharmaceutical manufacturers can rely on small-scale, single-use systems with capacity of 100 liters to 500 liters to produce these biotherapeutics.
- Thus, development of new biotherapeutics with smaller molecular weight is estimated to boost the global downstream processing market during the forecast period
Limitations & Constraints in Producing Humanized Peptides to Hamper Downstream Processing Market
- Microbial fermentation systems offer benefits such as short production time and high yield. However, there are certain limitations that hamper the use of microbial cell systems for biopharmaceutical production.
- Numerous microbial cells, especially bacterial cells, synthesize the peptides in inclusion bodies. Extraction of the peptide of interest by cell lysis is a cumbersome process and attracts additional cost and downstream processing.
- Bacterial cell systems have limitations in producing high molecular weight peptides and other metabolites, which limits their application in the production of small molecular weight recombinant proteins, antibiotics, and amino acids. However, yeast cells can be employed to produce large molecular weight peptides and metabolites. Thus, these factors are estimated to restrain the global downstream processing market during the forecast period.
Downstream Processing Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global downstream processing market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global downstream processing market in 2019, and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period
- The downstream processing market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a high CAGR from 2020 to 2030. Expansion of the market in the region can be attributed to the rapid expansion of the biopharmaceutical industry in India and China, and focus of leading players on strengthening presence in emerging markets.
Downstream Processing Market: Major Players
- Key players operating in the global downstream processing market include
- Danaher Corporation
- Merck KGaA
- Sartoris Stedim Biotech S.A.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- 3M Company
- Lonza Group
- Eppendorf AG
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
- These players focus on enhancing their production capabilities to cater to the rising demand for downstream processing equipment, owing to the growing pandemic of coronavirus. Furthermore, a key trend of strategic mergers and acquisitions has been witnessed among leading players to strengthen their competitive position in the global market.
- In March 2020, Danaher Corporation completed the acquisition of the Biopharma business from General Electric Company's Life Sciences division. The acquisition enabled the company to strengthen its life sciences segment.
- In March 2020, Eppendorf AG acquired Koki Holdings Co., Ltd. This acquisition enabled the company to enhance the centrifuge business and consolidate its market position.
Downstream Processing Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global downstream processing market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the global market during the forecast period from 2020 to 2030. The report provides the overall revenue of the global downstream processing market from 2018 to 2030, considering 2019 as the base year and 2030 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global downstream processing market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with market leaders and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global downstream processing market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts also employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomena in the global downstream processing market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth pattern of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Additionally, the report sheds light on the changing competition dynamics in the global downstream processing market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global downstream processing market. The next section of the report highlights the USPs, which include key industry events and COVID-19 pandemic impact on the global downstream processing market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global downstream processing market. Key players operating in the global downstream processing market have been identified and each one of these has been profiled for its distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players profiled in the global downstream processing market report.
Key Questions Answered in Downstream Processing Market Report
- What will be the sales revenue generated by downstream processing across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the key trends in the global downstream processing market?
- What are major drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global downstream processing market?
- Which regional market is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which application segment will generate the maximum revenue by 2030 and which product segment will expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
Downstream Processing Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global downstream processing market begins with an overview of the market, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives of the study and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the global downstream processing market. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the global downstream processing market, which includes TMR’s analysis of market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the market. Furthermore, the Y-o-Y growth analysis with elaborate insights has been provided to understand the Y-o-Y growth trends of the global market. The next section of the global downstream processing market report highlights the USPs, which include key industry events, and COVID-19 pandemic impact on the global downstream processing market.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into smaller ones. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Revenue generated by key players in the global downstream processing market has been mapped to ascertain the size of the market in terms of value. The forecast presented here assesses the total revenue generated in the global downstream processing market. In order to provide an accurate forecast, we initiated by sizing up the current downstream processing market with the help of the parent market.
The report analyzes the global downstream processing market in terms of technique, product, application, end user, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length and the market share of each of these by the end of 2030 has been provided. These valuable insights would help market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investments in the global downstream processing market.
Downstream Processing Market – Segmentation