Dispersant Polymer: Introduction
- Dispersant polymer is a polymeric substance primarily used to stabilize the emulsion, inhibiting the coalescence of emulsified oil or water droplets under extreme conditions. Polymeric dispersant is added to a suspension of solid or liquid particles in a liquid to improve the separation of the particles and to prevent their settling or clumping. In terms of chemical structure, dispersing agents can be divided into two classes: surfactants also known as low molecular weight dispersing agents and dispersant polymers also known as high molecular weight dispersants. This stabilization feature enables dispersant polymers to be extensively utilized in paint & coatings, oil & gas, detergent, paper & pulp and several other industries.
- Only difference that polymeric dispersants possess in comparison to other dispersing agents is its higher molecular weight. Structural features of dispersant polymer enable formation of durable adsorption layers upon numerous pigment particles. Optimal stabilization can be achieved only when polymer chains are well solvated and stretched. Hence, it should be compatible with selected resin solution. If this compatibility is obstructed, polymer chains can break, causing the steric hindrance and the resulting stabilization to be lost.
Key Drivers of Dispersant Polymer Market
- Dispersant polymers are primarily utilized in the production of paints & coatings. Demand for dispersant polymers is directly proportional to the demand for paints & coatings. Its substitutes such as standard anionic, cationic or non-ionic surfactants (low molecular weight dispersing agents) can be utilized in the production of waterborne paints. For instance, sodium salts of polyacrylic acid are employed as dispersants of titanium white and mineral fillers. These low molecular weight surfactants are inexpensive as compared to dispersant polymers and provide effective wetting of the pigment. However, these products are prone to detachment from the surface of the pigment due to their low weight, which can further affect the stabilization of the system. Manufacturers of paint & coatings usually employs dispersant of the newer generation based on complex polymeric structure (properly modified acrylic, styrene, ethylene, propylene copolymers and many others.) in the production of paints in order to counter this issue. It can be used not only for organic pigments; however, also for selected inorganic pigments and carbon black. It is differentiated by its superior storage stability and low foaming during pigment paste fabrication in comparison to its low molecular weight surfactants. These superior properties of dispersant polymers can act as a key driver that can augment its demand during the forecast period.
- Dispersant polymers can be utilized in oil drilling in breaking up solids or liquids as fine particles or droplets. Consumption of dispersant polymers depends on oil & gas drilling activities. According to a recent report published by the International Energy Outlook (IEO) 2020, global energy consumption is estimated to rise by 28% between 2015 and 2040. Johan Castberg Field, Rosebank & Lochnagar Oil & Gas Fields, Cyprus-Greece Gas Pipeline, Wisting oil field, Mariner Heavy Oil Field, Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP), Culzean HPHT Gas & Condensate Field, and Aphrodite Gas Field are a few upcoming oil & gas drilling offshore projects in North Sea where dispersant polymers can be employed. Demand for natural gas increased by 1.5% in 2019, as compared to that in 2018. It is estimated to increase owing to a rise in the prices of petrol and diesel and increase in environmental concerns. These projects are likely to boost the demand for dispersant polymer in the oil & gas industry.
Key Restraint of Dispersant Polymer Market
- Availability of low cost substitutes such as standard anionic, cationic or non-ionic surfactants (low molecular weight dispersing agents) is estimated to hamper the dispersant polymer (high molecular weight dispersing agents) market. It is only recommended to use for low-end applications such as low cost paints.
COVID-19 Impact on Dispersant Polymer Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has a mixed impact on its end-use industry. Lockdown imposed by governments of various countries in the world to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted the oil industry. On July 07, 2020, The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released data forecasting a decline in production of crude oil and natural gas in the U.S. in 2020. According to the data, crude oil production in the U.S. is expected to decrease by 600,000 barrels per day (bpd) in 2020 to 11.63 million bpd. Sudden decline in production of crude oil and natural gas has severely impacted the demand for dispersant polymer in the oil & gas industry. Drilling consumption as well as activities are anticipated to rise in the second half of 2020 and in 2021. Meanwhile, paint & coatings industry has impacted positively by COVID-19 pandemic. Sudden stoppage in demand of crude oil has caused prices of crude oil to reach an all-time low in March 2020. Decline in prices of crude oil is beneficial for the paint industry, as decrease in prices of crude oil, a key raw material in paint production, is likely to lower the overall manufacturing expenses and increase the profitability of paint companies.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global dispersant polymer market include:
- Evonik Industries AG
- TOAGOSEI CO., LTD.
- BASF SE
- Lubrizol Advanced Materials, Inc.
- Clariant AG
- RSD Polymers Pvt. Ltd.
Global Dispersant Polymer Market: Research Scope
Global Dispersant Polymer Market, by End-use Industry
- Oil & Gas
- Paints & Coatings
- Pulp & Paper
- Detergent Industry
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.