Companies Invest in Opiates and GABA-Related Compounds to Treat Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome
On a global level, the alarming prevalence of chronic cough amongst individuals has propelled healthcare companies in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market to develop efficacious treatment options. As such, they are increasing their focus on developing improved formulations of antitussive agents. This trend is distinctly true, since antitussive agents are projected to dominate the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market, with an estimated revenue of ~US$ 2.8 billion by 2027.
In order to relieve patients from cough hypersensitivity, healthcare companies are investing in opiates and GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)-related compounds. Opiates serve as effective cough suppressants and possess efficacious antitussive properties to treat chronic intractable cough. Likewise, companies are increasing their production capabilities of tramadol, an opioid medication that is similar to the molecular formula of codeine drugs.
Since chronic cough causes increased body pain, companies in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market are increasing the availability of babapentin and pregabalin, which are GABA-related compounds, and act as neuromodulators for the treatment of neuropathic pain and epilepsy. It has been found in placebo-controlled trials that, gabapentin is well-tolerated for the treatment of refractory chronic cough.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
PPI Therapy and Beta Agonists Provide Relief for GERD and Asthma
Healthcare companies in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment space are increasing clinical trials to study the effects of aerosolized capsaicin with behavioral cough suppression. It has been found that, the inhalation of aerosolized capsaicin in gradually increasing doses has contributed to the decrease in cough sensitivity. Healthcare providers have recommended the repetition of the treatment sessions to effectively minimize the instances of cough hypersensitivity.
Chronic cough is associated with high prevalence of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Hence, companies in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market are innovating in proton pump inhibitors (PPI) therapy. Proton pump inhibitors currently account for the second-highest revenue share amongst the drugs in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market. PPI therapy is also effective for diseases related to GERD, such as achalasia, infectious esophagitis, and eosinophilic esophagitis. In order to treat asthma, healthcare providers in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market are increasing research capabilities in bronchodilators that include short acting beta-2 agonists. They also recommend patients to undergo spirometry to avoid the side effects of beta agonists.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome Treatment Market
Manufacturers Collaborating with Healthcare Providers to Increase Awareness about Early Upper Endoscopy
The cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market is anticipated to grow at a modest CAGR of ~5%. However, the nature of the market is consolidated, which makes it challenging for emerging market players to enter into the bracket of prominent and leading healthcare companies. Although the market is consolidated, the inefficiency of drugs and their adverse effects are negatively affecting market growth.
For instance, voltage-gated sodium channels reduce excitability and sensory nerve activity amongst patients. However, there is a growing need for newer agents that present realistic options for cough hypersensitivity syndrome patients. In many cases, proton pump inhibitors lead to complications of refractory GERD, with recurrence of reflux symptoms. Hence, healthcare companies in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market should increase awareness about the judicious administration of PPIs. They should team up with healthcare providers who can encourage patients to undergo early upper endoscopy to evaluate new alarm symptoms.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
New clinical guidelines by health commissions across nations suggest the screening, diagnosis, and treatment of chronic cough at regular intervals. Healthcare companies in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market should increase their research capabilities to understand pathophysiology for refractory chronic cough.
Antitussive agents are being increasingly used by healthcare providers to treat various complications of cough hypersensitivity. However, certain agents provide no clinical evidence of improvement in the health of patients. As such, there is an increasing need for the optimized clinical evaluation of uncontrolled symptoms and mechanistic understanding of neurobiology to achieve promising therapeutic targets. Market players should introduce more treatment options in anti-inflammatory therapy for patients with cough-variant asthma and eosinophilic bronchitis.
Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome Treatment Market Description
- The cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market is projected to increase at a CAGR of 5.5%, from a value of ~US$ 7 Bn in 2018 to ~US$ 11 Bn by the year 2027.
- A range of novel pharmacological approaches, such as P2X3 receptor antagonists (MK-7264) and other concepts are in clinical development for the treatment of cough hypersensitivity syndrome, which would contribute to the growth of the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
- Cough hypersensitivity syndrome can be defined as a clinical entity in which excessive cough is experienced, triggered by lower levels of mechanical, thermal, and chemical exposure, and characterized by hypersensitivity reactions.
- Cough hypersensitivity syndrome is caused due to a primary condition characterized by afferent neuronal hypersensitivity. Different aspects of this syndrome are manifested in various phenotypes of cough.
- A variety of treatment options are available for cough hypersensitivity syndrome, depending upon the cause.
- The treatment options for cough hypersensitivity syndrome include various drugs that majorly treat three most common causes: asthma, upper airway cough syndrome, and reflux conditions.
- Antitussive agents are the common drugs used to treat cough hypersensitivity syndrome, owing to their effectiveness in treating cough, and ongoing related clinical trials.
- All these factors are contributing to the growth of the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome Treatment Market: Drivers
- Rise in the prevalence of chronic respiratory diseases is a major factor responsible for the growth of the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
- Different respiratory diseases and conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, and allergic rhinitis are some of the major conditions catalyzing the growth of the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
- Increase in the number of smokers all around the world is a major contributor to the rise in chronic cough hypersensitivity syndrome and related disorders.
- The high prevalence of unexplained chronic cough associated with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is also fueling the growth of the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome Treatment Market: Segment Analysis
- Increase in the usage of antitussive agents for the treatment of cough hypersensitivity and ongoing research on the development of effective antitussive therapies are leading to the growth of the antitussive agents drug class segment in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
- Retail pharmacies are major distribution channels for cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment drugs. This segment dominated the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market in 2018, owing to an increase in the number of retail pharmacies in close vicinity to patients, as well as increasing sales of over-the-counter medication for cough treatment through these retail pharmacies.
- The online pharmacies segment is a lucrative distribution channel segment in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market. This is becoming a popular option for patients due to the convenience of online purchasing and numerous options available on online platforms for medicine and price comparison.
Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome Treatment Market: Major Players
- The report concludes with the company profiles section that includes key information about major players operating in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
- Key players analyzed in this report on the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market are
- Pfizer, Inc.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Novartis AG
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated
- Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc.
- In May 2018, GSK received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for the use of Arnuity Ellipta (fluticasone furoate), a once-daily inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) medicine for the treatment of asthma in children over the age of five years. This makes Arnuity one of the few once-daily treatments for asthma, licensed in the U.S. for this age group.
- The development of new products through robust R&D activities, global expansion through wide distribution networks, and strategic collaborations & partnerships for business expansion are some of the key strategies adopted by leading players in the cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market. Several companies are focusing on the development of new products, which are under clinical trial and in different phases.
- Each of these players have been profiled in the report on the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market, based on parameters such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, product portfolio, business segments, and recent developments.
Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome Treatment Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’S report on the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the said market, for the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall revenue of the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market from 2017 to 2027, with 2018 as the base year and 2017 as the historical year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market for the period of 2019 to 2027.
The report has been prepared after extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research involves bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts carry out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approach to study various phenomena in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market. Key players operating in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market have been identified, and each one of them has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overviews, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOTs are some of the attributes of players in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in the Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome Treatment Market Report
- What is the revenue expected to be generated by cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment for each drug class across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market?
- Which regional market is likely to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment distribution channel is expected to generate the highest revenue, globally, in 2027? Which segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What is the position of different companies operating in the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market?
Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome Treatment Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market begins with an overview of the said market, followed by the scope and objectives of this study. Following this, the report provides a detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study, and the pipeline analysis of different drugs in the treatment of cough hypersensitivity syndrome. This report also provides the epidemiological overview of the cough hypersensitivity syndrome, globally, and in main countries.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables, appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows the comparison of market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Cough Hypersensitivity Syndrome Treatment Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market includes information divided into three sections: drug class, distribution channel, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these sections of the global cough hypersensitivity syndrome treatment market have been discussed in detail.