COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market
COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market (Product: Inhalers and Nebulizers; Type: Manual Devices and Digital Devices; and Distribution Channel: Retail Pharmacies, Hospital Pharmacies, and Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
R&D and Product Innovation to Increase Adoption of COPD Drug Delivery Devices
The chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) drug delivery devices have garnered significant popularity in the past few decades, owing to consistent advancements in technology and development of innovative products. Inhaled medication has emerged as one of the most reliable and effective treatments for a broad range of respiratory diseases such as COPD and asthma. Within the COPD drug delivery devices market, focus on product innovation has gained significant momentum in the past 60 years - beginning from the advent of pressurized metered-dose inhalers. At present, although more than 230 devices and drug formulations are available, disease control continues to remain a major challenge.
Stakeholders operating in the current COPD drug delivery devices market are expected to focus on the development of innovative inhalers to improve the overall effectiveness of the inhaled medication therapy. Some of the innovations that are likely to take place within the COPD drug delivery devices market are expected to focus on digital technologies linked with inhalers, chemistry and formulations, and design and device engineering. Moreover, research and development activities are being undertaken to improve targeted drug delivery to the lungs. Furthermore, significant rise in the number of patients suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases worldwide coupled with a surge in demand for easy-to-operate devices is expected to drive the COPD drug delivery devices market to a value of ~US$ 11 Bn by 2027.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on COPD Drug Delivery Devices
COPD Drug Delivery Devices Entering a Digital Era
In the current COPD drug delivery devices market landscape, digital drug delivery devices are garnering significant popularity. Trends suggest a gradual shift toward improved digital inhalation devices primarily used to treat patients suffering from respiratory diseases, including asthma and COPD. In recent times, focus on the development of novel drug delivery devices and systems has gained significant momentum in the pharmaceutical sector. In their bid to improve patient outcomes, stakeholders operating in the current market space are increasingly focusing on product development by adopting a patient-centric model.
Key players operating in the COPD drug delivery devices market are enhancing the designs of conventional drug delivery devices to improve patient outcomes. In terms of type, the digital devices segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period (2019-2027), a higher CAGR growth than the manual devices segment, which is poised to grow at a CAGR of ~4% during the forecast period. Increase in the adoption of digital COPD drug delivery devices is expected to address the problems that conventional drug delivery techniques were incompetent in solving.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Companies Launch New Products to Stay Competitive in Global Market
Drug development pertaining to asthma has predominantly focused on new molecules in established classes, formulation of new devices, and a range of combination treatments. However, obtaining the approval of the FDA for these new COPD drug delivery devices is likely to remain a key for participants in the COPD drug delivery devices market landscape. In their efforts to establish a strong foothold in the market, several companies are launching new products with innovative designs and improved digital capabilities.
For instance, Lonza launched Capsugel ® Zephyr ™ - a new addition to the dry-powder inhalation capsule portfolio of the company. The company revealed that the launch of the new product was primarily aimed at fulfilling the growing demand for customized treatments for efficient COPD drug delivery.
While some stakeholders are adopting the strategy of product launches, others are actively engaged in seeking approval from the FDA. For instance, in December 2018, Teva announced that the FDA had approval its ProAir Digihaler COPD drug delivery device. The new device makes use of advanced sensors that can be connected to a mobile App, and is specifically developed for individuals suffering from COPD and asthma. The approval of this product is expected to provide an impetus for the adoption of digital technologies to develop cutting-edge COPD drug delivery devices. The COPD drug delivery devices market is a consolidated market with leading players, including Boehringer Ingelheim, GlaxoSmithKline plc, and AstraZeneca accounting for a collective market share of ~82% in 2018.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The global COPD drug delivery devices market is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~4% during the forecast period. This growth of the market can be attributed to the significant progress made in product development and integration of new digital technologies in the new-age COPD drug delivery devices. Stakeholders operating in the current market landscape should focus on gaining market share by acquiring small to mid-sized companies. North America and Europe will continue to remain the most prominent regions in the market, owing to favorable regulatory policies, focus on research and development, and growing investments toward product innovation and development. The COPD drug delivery devices in the Asia Pacific region is expected to witness the fastest CAGR growth of ~5%, as awareness related to the benefits of digital COPD drug delivery devices will continue to grow.
COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market: Overview
- COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a progressive disorder that makes it difficult to breathe. Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of COPD. Moreover, long-term exposure to other lung irritants, such as air pollution, chemical fumes, or dust may also contribute to COPD development.
- COPD drug delivery devices include inhaler and nebulizer, which effectively deliver the medication to the lungs and airways to treat or prevent diseases
COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market: Product Overview
- Inhaled medication for COPD treatment is delivered through inhalers and nebulizers for effective results
- Inhalers can be short-acting or long-acting. Long-acting bronchodilators include salmeterol, formoterol, vilanterol, and olodaterol. Bronchodilators include albuterol (Ventolin HFA), metaproterenol (Alupent), and levalbuterol (Xopenex). These drugs are administered through metered dose inhaler or dry powder inhaler to treat airflow obstruction caused by COPD.
- Major types of inhalers include metered dose inhaler, dry powder inhaler, and soft mist inhaler. Nebulizers are sub-segmented into jet nebulizer, mesh nebulizer, and ultrasonic nebulizer.
- The metered dose inhaler sub-segment dominated the inhaler segment. Growth of the sub-segment can be attributed to increase in demand for combination inhalers and promising drugs in pipeline.
COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market: Key Drivers
- Increase in prevalence of COPD is a major cause that can be attributed to the growth of the global COPD drug delivery devices market. The disease burden is increasing among adults as well as in pediatric population, due to genetics or environmental factors, including microbial exposure, exposure to passive smoking, and air pollution, thereby increasing the need for COPD treatment. Increase in number of smokers is also fueling the COPD drug delivery devices market, as cigarette smoking (active or passive) is considered to be responsible for COPD.
- Focus on spreading awareness about advantages of COPD treatment, including common treatment options such as pressurized meter dose inhalers and dry powder inhalers is also propelling the global COPD drug delivery devices market growth
- Electronic monitoring devices for inhalers are significant applications of the digital technology for inhaled delivery systems. Rise in focus on smart or digital inhalers for administration of COPD drugs is driving the COPD drug delivery devices market growth.
Market Segmentation: COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market
- Based on product, the global COPD drug delivery devices market has been divided into inhaler and nebulizer. Inhaler is further sub-segmented into metered dose inhaler, dry powder inhaler, and soft mist inhaler. Nebulizer is sub-segmented into jet nebulizer, mesh nebulizer, and ultrasonic nebulizer.
- In terms of type, the global COPD drug delivery devices market has been bifurcated into manual device and digital device
- Based on distribution channel, the global COPD drug delivery devices market has been classified into retail pharmacies, hospital pharmacies, and online pharmacies
- Each of the segments has been analyzed in detail for market trends, recent trends & developments, drivers, restraints, opportunities, and useful insights. The report provides current and future revenue (US$ Mn) for each these segments for the period from 2017 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year. The compound annual growth rate (% CAGR) has been provided for each segment and market from 2019 to 2027, along with market size estimations.
Regional Overview: COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market
- In terms of region, the global COPD drug delivery devices market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The regions have been further divided into major countries and sub-regions.
- The current and future market sizes in terms of revenue (US$ Mn) of these regional markets and their major countries have been provided in the report for the period from 2017 to 2027, with their CAGRs for the period from 2019 to 2027
- The study also offers a list of recommendations, highlights, and useful insights of the market, which will help new companies willing to enter the market and existing companies to increase market shares, and help in the decision-making process
COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market: Major Players
- The report concludes with the company profiles section that includes key information about the major players in the market
- Leading players analyzed in the report are -
- Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Novartis AG
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Cipla Inc.
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
- PARI GmbH
- Omron Corporation
- Each of these players has been profiled in the report based on parameters such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, product portfolio, business segments, and recent developments
COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global COPD drug delivery devices market studies the past as well as the current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the indicators for the said market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global COPD drug delivery devices market for the period of 2017-2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) of the global COPD drug delivery devices market from 2019 to 2027.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involves bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global COPD drug delivery devices market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various attributes of the global COPD drug delivery devices market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global COPD drug delivery devices market. These serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global COPD drug delivery devices market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global COPD drug delivery devices market. Key players operating in the global COPD drug delivery devices market have been identified and each one of them has been profiled in terms of various attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are attributes of players in the global COPD drug delivery devices market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by COPD drug delivery devices market across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the global COPD drug delivery devices market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the global market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which product segment is expected to generate the highest revenue globally in 2027? Which segment is projected expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What are the market positions of different companies operating in the global market?
COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global COPD drug delivery devices market begins with an overview, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study and key vendors and distributors operating in the market and regulatory scenario for approval of products.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into smaller sections. The report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that have been appropriately interspersed. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the global COPD drug delivery devices market in terms of product, type, distribution channel, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of them at the end of 2027 has been provided herein. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investment in the global COPD drug delivery devices market.
COPD Drug Delivery Devices Market - Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global COPD drug delivery devices market includes information divided into four segments: product, type, distribution channel, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the COPD drug delivery devices market have been discussed in detail.