Cellulose Acetate (Cellulose Acetate Tow and Cellulose Acetate Filament) Market for Cigarette Filters, Textile & Apparel, Photographic Films, Tapes & Labels, Extrusion & Molding, and Other Applications - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast, 2015 - 2023
Cellulose acetate is a semisynthetic compound that is produced by using key raw materials such as cellulose, acetic acid, acetic anhydride, and sulfuric acid. Major raw material required in the manufacture of cellulose acetate is cellulose, which is obtained from natural resources such as wood pulp, cotton linters, dried hemp, and other non-food biomass. This naturally derived cellulose is treated with acetic acid in the presence of sulfuric acid as the catalyst to yield cellulose acetate fibers. These fibers are then formed into flakes, tows, and filaments. Cellulose acetate is characterized by various attributes such as high water affinity, eco-friendliness, good thermal stability, and ease of bonding with other materials such as plasticizers and fabrics.
Cellulose acetate is globally distributed into various grades. The cellulose acetate market is majorly segmented into cellulose acetate tow and cellulose acetate filament. Cellulose acetate tow was the major product segment of the global cellulose acetate market in 2014. Raw cellulose acetate flake is processed by hydrolysis to remove excess acetic acid after which it is dried. Dried flakes are then subjected to dry spinning by using acetone as a solvent. On dry spinning, flakes are subjected to crimping to obtain a cable-like structure that consists of large number of filaments. This cable-like structure is called cellulose acetate tow. Cellulose acetate tow held larger market share in 2014 and is expected to be the fastest-growing segment by the end of 2023. Procedure for manufacturing cellulose acetate filament is similar to that of tow; the only difference is that cellulose acetate is not subjected to crimping. The filament bundle obtained after spinning is bundled to form filament yarns.
Cigarette filters, textile & apparel, photographic films, tapes & labels, and extrusion & molding are major end-user applications of the global cellulose acetate market. Cigarette filters alone accounted for significant share of over 80% of the global cellulose acetate market in 2014. This application segment is anticipated to continue being the major consumer of cellulose acetate by the end of 2023. Cellulose acetate tow is used as a key component during the processing of cigarette filters due to its useful properties such as high absorptivity, high heat stability, and biodegradability. Textile & apparel was the second-largest application segment of the global cellulose acetate market in 2014. Cellulose acetate filaments are spun into acetate yarns and blended with other fiber materials to form fabrics, apparel linings, and knitwear. Porous and hydrophilic attributes of cellulose acetate filament make it the preferred material to be used in textile & apparel application. However, cigarette filters segment is estimated to be one of the fastest growing application of the cellulose acetate market especially in developing regions by the end of 2023.
Growth in the global cigarette production industry is anticipated to be primarily boost the global cellulose acetate market during the next couple of years. During the production of cigarettes, cellulose acetate filter tow is incorporated as a filter at the closed cigarette tip or bud. Cigarette filters are used to cut down on the overall tar and nicotine content from getting inhaled during cigarette consumption. Cellulose acetate is suitably used in cigarette filters application as it provides greater efficiency as compared to other materials such as polypropylene, paper, and cotton. Furthermore, on the basis of socio-economic factors, cigarette consumption is rising in developing regions, primarily Asia Pacific and Latin America. Increasing population coupled with changes in consumer lifestyle and high per capita income of consumers are likely to boost cigarette consumption in the next few years. This increased consumption is projected to boost demand for cellulose acetate by the end of 2023.
In terms of volume, Asia Pacific is estimated to achieve the largest market share of the cellulose acetate market followed by Europe and North America by 2023. Although markets in Europe and North America have currently reached maturity, growth of the global cellulose acetate market is expected to be strongly supported by Asia Pacific due to its high consumption in this region. Latin America and the Middle East & Africa are expected to be emerging markets as a result of improving economy in the regions by the end of 2023.
Key global manufacturers of cellulose acetate include Celanese Corporation, Daicel Corporation, Mitsubishi Rayon Co., Ltd., Solvay Acetow GmbH, Eastman Chemical Company, and Sichuan Push Acetati Co., Ltd.
Cellulose acetate is produced by acetylation of cellulose with acetic acid by using sulfuric acid as the catalyst. Cellulose acetate is extensively consumed in various end-user applications such as cigarette filters, textile & apparel, photographic films, tapes & labels, and extrusion & molding. Cigarette filters was the largest application segment of the cellulose acetate market in 2014. Furthermore, it is likely to be one of the fastest-growing segments of the global cellulose acetate market from 2015 to 2023. Cellulose acetate tow was the largest product segment that held major share of the global cellulose market in 2014. Threat of substitutes is low in the global cellulose acetate market as it is derived from natural raw material sources and is highly biodegradable.
The report estimates and forecasts the cellulose acetate market on the global, regional, and country level. The study provides forecast from 2015 to 2023 based on volume (Kilo Tons) and revenue (US$ Mn).
The study offers a comprehensive view of the cellulose acetate market by dividing it into product segments such as cellulose acetate tow and cellulose acetate filament. In terms of application, the global cellulose acetate market has been segmented into cigarette filters, textile & apparel, photographic films, tapes & labels, extrusion & molding, and others. Application segments have been analyzed based on historic, present, and future trends, and the market has been estimated from 2015 to 2023 in terms of volume (Kilo Tons) and revenue (US$ Mn). Regional segmentation includes the current and forecast demand for cellulose acetate in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa (MEA). Additionally, the report includes country-level analysis in terms of volume and revenue for product and end-user segments. Key countries such as the U.S., the U.K., France, Russia, Italy, Germany, China, India, Brazil, South Africa as well as ASEAN and GCC are included in the study. Market segmentation includes demand for individual products and applications in all regions and countries.
The report comprises a comprehensive value chain analysis, which provides a broad view of the market. Value chain analysis also provides detailed information about value addition at each stage of the value chain. The report covers drivers and restraints for the cellulose acetate market along with their impact on demand during the forecast period. Additionally, it includes the study of opportunities in the cellulose acetate market at the global level.
The report includes Porter’s Five Forces Model to gauge the degree of competition in the cellulose acetate market. The report encompasses a qualitative write-up on market attractiveness analysis, wherein applications have been analyzed based on attractiveness. Growth rate, market size, raw material availability, profit margin, impact strength, technology, competition, and other factors (such as environmental and legal) have been evaluated to derive general attractiveness of the market. The report includes price trend analysis of raw materials (acetic anhydride and wood pulp) and cellulose acetate from 2014 to 2023.
Secondary research sources that were typically referred to include, but were not limited to company websites, financial reports, annual reports, investor presentations, broker reports, and SEC filings. Other sources such as internal and external proprietary databases, statistical databases and market reports, news articles, national government documents, and webcasts specific to companies operating in the market have also been referred for the report.
In-depth interviews and discussions with a wide range of key opinion leaders and industry participants were conducted to compile this research report. Primary research represents bulk of the research efforts, supplemented by an extensive secondary research. Key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents were reviewed for competitive analysis and market understanding. This helped in validating and reinforcing our secondary research findings. Primary research further helped in developing the analysis team’s expertise and market understanding.
The report covers a detailed competitive outlook that includes market share and profiles of key players operating in the global market. Key players profiled in the report include Celanese Corporation, Daicel Corporation, Mitsubishi Rayon Co., Ltd., Eastman Chemical Company, Solvay Acetow GmbH, and Sichuan Push Acetati Co., Ltd. Company profiles include attributes such as company overview, number of employees, brand overview, key competitors, business overview, business strategies, recent/key developments, acquisitions, and financial overview.
This report segments the global cellulose acetate market as follows:
- Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Cellulose acetate tow
- Cellulose acetate filament
- Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Cigarette filters
- Textile & apparel
- Photographic films
- Tapes & labels
- Extrusion & molding
- Others (Including printing ink formulations, etc.)
- Cellulose Acetate Market – Regional Analysis
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- North America
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
Table of Content
Chapter 1 Preface
- Report Description
- Research Scope
- Market Segmentation
- Research Methodology
Chapter 2 Executive Summary
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market Volume and Revenue, 2014 - 2023, (Kilo Tons) (US$ Mn)
- Cellulose Acetate: Market Snapshot
Chapter 3 Cellulose Acetate Market – Industry Analysis
- Value Chain Analysis
- Market Drivers
- Driver 1 – Rise in Cigarette Consumption in Developing Countries to Propel Growth of Cellulose Acetate Filter Tow
- Driver 2 – Growth of Textile & Apparel Industry in BRIC Nations to Fuel Demand for Cellulose Acetate
- Restraint 1 – Increasing Health Awareness Against Cigarette Consumption in Developed Regions is Likely to Hinder Demand for Cellulose Acetate
- Restraint 2 – Volatile Prices of Acetic Anhydride Expected to Hamper Cellulose Acetate Market Growth
- Opportunity 1 – Eyewear Frames and Food Packaging Applications are Anticipated to Provide Growth Opportunities for Cellulose Acetate
- Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat of New Entrants
- Threat of Substitutes
- Degree of Competition
- Cellulose Acetate: Market Attractiveness Analysis
- Cellulose Acetate: Company Market Share Analysis, 2014
Chapter 4 Raw Material and Price Trend Analysis
- Raw Material Analysis – Manufacturing/Extraction Process
- Raw Material Price Trends, 2014 – 2023 (US$/Ton)
- Cellulose Acetate Price Trend, 2014 – 2023 (US$/Ton)
Chapter 5 Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market: Product Overview
- Global Cellulose Acetate Tow Market
- Global Cellulose Acetate Filament Market
Chapter 6 Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market: Application Overview
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market for Cigarette Filters
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market for Textile & Apparel
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market for Photographic Films
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market for Tapes & Labels
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market for Extrusion & Molding
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market for Others
Chapter 7 Cellulose Acetate Market – Regional Analysis
- Global Cellulose Acetate Market: Regional Overview
- North America Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- North America Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- U.S. Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- U.S. Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Rest of North America Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Rest of North America Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Europe Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Europe Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Germany Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Germany Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- France Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- France Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- U.K. Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- U.K. Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Italy Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Italy Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Russia Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Russia Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Rest of Europe Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Rest of Europe Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Asia Pacific Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Asia Pacific Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- China Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- China Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- India Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- India Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- ASEAN Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- ASEAN Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Rest of Asia Pacific Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Rest of Asia Pacific Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Latin America Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Latin America Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Brazil Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Brazil Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Rest of Latin America Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Rest of Latin America Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Middle East & Africa Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Middle East & Africa Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- GCC Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- GCC Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- South Africa Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- South Africa Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
- Rest of Middle East & Africa Cellulose Acetate Market – Product Analysis
- Rest of Middle East & Africa Cellulose Acetate Market – Application Analysis
Chapter 8 Company Profiles
- Celanese Corporation
- Daicel Corporation
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Mazzucchelli 1849 S.p.A.
- Mitsubishi Rayon Co., Ltd.
- Solvay Acetow GmbH
- Rotuba Extruders Inc.
- Sichuan Push Acetati Co. Ltd.
Chapter 9 Primary Research – Key Findings